Author Topic: Brussels and Prepping for Xmas Dinner  (Read 2185 times)

irridium

• Acre
Brussels and Prepping for Xmas Dinner
« on: December 24, 2011, 12:31:29 »
http://smittenkitchen.com/2011/11/dijon-braised-brussels-sprouts/ for Dijon-Braised Brussel Sprounts. Sounds and looks yummy in the photo. As I tend to have at least 10 other items to cook for our meal, I think I might make this earlier in the day and heat it up. What dishes do you do to make the preparations easier on yourself?

The only thing I've made in advance so far is the stuffing. I'll be doing the mashed swede and carrot later on, and the peel pots tonight.The dishes I've yet to make are -

mashed pots and roast pots
yorkies
braised red cabbage (will this taste nice re-heated?)
steamed broccoli
onion gravy (with meat juices added in later)

and a goose to roast :P . There may be another roast meat dish depending on whether i'd find one later at the s/m if i do decide to go to find some bargains later on (tho' such a palaver really!)

So are you all, all set for the Big Dinner tomorrow?

::) i'm not really, just can't be bothered right now. been tidying my drawers earlier today. got up at stoopid 5.30am and decided it'll be nice enough weather judging by the stars i could see in the dark sky this morning (now it's so lovely!!) for a clothes wash to be done. Meant to be making a cake later, but can i be bothered to search for a recipe ::) and i wrapped the final of my presents (hate wrapping).

oh dear, i do sound like ebeneezer, don't i? I can't wait to eat the dinner, but i know, i'll be so knackered from making it all day tomorrow, i won't have the appetite to even half of what's on the plate. i could eat one now if it was made for me, but i know that i won't get the standard of cooking anywhere else except my own!

xx ;)
« Last Edit: December 24, 2011, 13:03:29 by irridium »

pumkinlover

Re: Brussels and Prepping for Xmas Dinner
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2011, 12:58:56 »
I do red cabbage in a spicy dish and it gets better after a few days.

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2011, 13:46:14 »
Code: [Select]
So are you all, all set for the Big Dinner tomorrow?
Nope...I'm in the middle of that hassle right now. We have our 'BIG' dinner tonight...not a traditional Finnish style this year but still..its all yummy.
We are having lemon salmon..pheasant 'piggies in a blankets' with red vine gravy..LOTS of roasted veg (parsnips, carrots, potatoes, squash)... ;D ..and some brussels of course..Low key as there is only two of us.
All the trimmings that was 'left over' when I filleted the salmon are made into quiche..something to nibble tomorrow.
And desert is ice cream topped up with my boozy pears and raisins in rum.... ;D ;D
What more can one want.. ;D

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2011, 18:32:55 »
Just spent 2 hours peeling and prepping all the vegetables for tomorrow.  Prepped the turkey this morning.  Everything now all done and prepped except yorkshire pudding mix which will be done tomorrow.  Now to chill this Xmas eve....the fridge is calling out to me....."you deserve a beer" so I best get one so as not to disappoint
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal