Author Topic: Is this unusual?  (Read 2303 times)

David K

• Quarter Acre
Is this unusual?
« on: December 14, 2011, 11:45:32 »
I bought 3 point of lay 'Gold Star' hybrid  pullets during late summer. They have laid really well since the onset, but I'm rather surprised they are still laying 3 eggs a day, even though the weather is mostly cold & wet.

Not complaining, mind you!  ;D

goodlife

• Hectare
Re: Is this unusual?
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2011, 12:56:38 »
Weather don't have that much to do with chickens laying ability..it is their genes, general condition, diet and amount of (day)light that they receive that are laying trickers.
Those breeds that are capable for laying most of year may have break from it if they don't receive enough winter sun or artificial lighting.
So well done you.. ;D Your girls must be healthy and happy and getting enough of good snap on top of 'sunning'...they are having holidays... ;D ;)

grannyjanny

• PMs
  • Hectare
  • Lives in Cheshire. Light sandy soil. Loves no dig.
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2011, 14:07:10 »
We have 2 Speckeldy's who both lay most days. We also have 4 bantam Plymouth Rocks who lay between Feb & August. They are a dead loss, supposed to lay approx 120 eggs each per year. We've had them for nearly 2 years & haven't had 120 from the four of  them. OH says they are a 'family' ;) ;D ::) so they are staying but I would love a couple more that actually believe they are chickens & do what chickens do, lay flippin eggs ::).
One of the Speckeldy's laid a 91g egg the other day. OH brought it in & said ouch. Anyone would think he knows about giving birth ;).

David K

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2011, 15:59:02 »
Thanks folks....seems my girls are doin OK then.  8)

The farm who suppled them claimed they would lay around 300 brown eggs in the first year and they seem on course for that.

growmore

• Hectare
  • Practice Beats Theory. Don Valley South Yorks
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2011, 09:38:31 »
Your Hybrids Should lay Through to their first full moult. This is dependant on when they were hatched, This will probably be Mar or April If they first started to lay in late summer.
Cheers .. Jim

Ragdoll Lady

• Half Acre
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2011, 12:35:12 »
My three hybrids that i got at 18 weeks old at the end of april are all laying an egg most days for me still. The two heratige skylines that i got the begining of june are a bit more haphazard. One laid a few blue eggs in september and then stopped laying. The other skyline laid her first egg at 44 weeks! The lady I got her from said she would take her back and give me a replacement. I couldnt do that as she is a pet and just accepted that she would never lay (she looked healthy in every other way). She started laying at 44 weeks and she now lays probably 4 a week and the other skyline resumed her laying duties and is laying one a day.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal