Author Topic: molt  (Read 4467 times)

chicken girl

• Not So New ...
molt
« on: November 09, 2011, 21:07:41 »
why oh why do hens moult in the winter my bluebell looks a sory state

bless her and not laying at all neither is my speckldy and blackrock ive had to resort to buying eggs grrr for the first time in 2 yrs

RenishawPhil

• Hectare
    • Parking Ticket Appeals Service
Re: molt
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2011, 21:18:21 »
Chickens have no sense of timing!!

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2011, 21:39:27 »
Perhaps she knows something that we don't ???...is the weather going to be reasonably warm for another few weeks yet ??? ::)
Mine are just over their molt..and the old girls did it with 'style'..quick and easy.. ;D They've got new bloomers on..but mine won't start laying again until Feb/March now..long wait for the eggs.. ::)

sunloving

• Hectare
  • Living on a small holding in Ireland
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2011, 09:58:51 »
Last year i made bird chirstmas decorations with the girls lovely tail feathers. So the timing was perfect.
They do look so scruffy for a while but then what goegeous girls emerge, my light sussex goes from a sun bleached yellow back to brilliant white, lovely.
Xsunloving

kimbobill

• Half Acre
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2011, 13:25:36 »
Are my 3 girls going through the moult? They have been laying every day and as soon as any food is on offer they chase me but this morning they were really lethargic especially one of them. It was very cold last night with high winds. I have checked them over and nothing seems wrong but they have left their porridge most unlike them and no eggs! This is all new to us as we only got them at the beginning of summer and start to lay in September. Any help would be most appreciated. Kim

pansy potter

• Half Acre
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2011, 15:55:10 »
Perhaps its colder in some parts of the country
God made rainy days so gardeners could get the housework done

kimbobill

• Half Acre
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2011, 16:19:29 »
the youngest but the first layer by 2 weeks has put herself to bed 2 hours ago laid an egg and and has only popped her head out of the nesting box for a couple of minutes. She's the one that usually perches ok but she is just sitting in the nesting box. I have also notice a lot less poo's in the house obviously from the lack of food that they are eating down by at 50%.

pumkinlover

« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2011, 18:12:02 »
The standard answer to this sort of question is to make sure they are wormed and to try a poultry tonic and cider vinegar.
They have usually moulted by now and got new feathers, howevever our new birds this year have not moulted. Easy to tell when they are- feathers everywhere!

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2011, 18:26:05 »
Code: [Select]
Any help would be most appreciated. KimIf your girls have stopped laying..there is many possible reasons for it weather..lack of sun..moulting...health issues..
Moulting is easy to spot..like PL said..there is feathers everywhere.
With health issues there is not always any particular symptoms...so best remedy is always prevention...that's easier said than done.. ::)
Don't be too alarmed with the lack of eggs and/or their appetite. They are not laying machines and even the best layers will eventually need to have a break from it and usually their food consumption will drop drastically..they simply won't need all the food when they don't produce eggs...sometimes their behaviour can change little to being bit more timid..and less greedy  ;D
Keep eye on them for now..if they still eat and drink and generally behave as usual, all should be well.
Now when weather is much colder..give them some mix corn in late afternoon..that is good 'fuel' to digest over night..it helps them keep warm and provide slow and long lasting energy over long night hours.

kimbobill

• Half Acre
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2011, 09:17:12 »
Thank you for the good replies. I have been using diatom on their food as a wormer?  They are all up and about today just a lot more subdued than the food obsessed girls they usually are

sunloving

• Hectare
  • Living on a small holding in Ireland
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2011, 08:26:10 »
and if youve got a girl sitting on the nest box she might be broody.
Make sure you minimise leaving eggs in there and kick them out if theyve been in there for more than about 30 mins. A broody girl wont lay for up to 3 weeks

It might just be that your girls hate the winter and are stepping down laying until the day length increases. Just you wait for the spring egg hiding antics ahead ;D
x Sunloving

Melbourne12

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Harrow, Middx
    • Allotmenteering Blog
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2011, 12:45:25 »
Thank you for the good replies. I have been using diatom on their food as a wormer?  They are all up and about today just a lot more subdued than the food obsessed girls they usually are

I have to say that I would share your concern.

In the period since you got them in early summer up to now, have you wormed them with Flubenvet or a prescribed wormer?  Or just diatom powder?

Is there anything odd about their poo?  Especially any sign of blood?  (I'm talking about the solid poo, not the occasional yellow squirty ones)

kimbobill

• Half Acre
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2011, 11:13:42 »

I have to say that I would share your concern.

In the period since you got them in early summer up to now, have you wormed them with Flubenvet or a prescribed wormer?  Or just diatom powder?

Is there anything odd about their poo?  Especially any sign of blood?  (I'm talking about the solid poo, not the occasional yellow squirty ones)

Just Diatom? (3 people that have chickens near to me don't worm at all?) their poo's all look fine and I have kept a close eye on them for signs of anything wrong.
Since the weekend, all of them have perked up and started laying again, well 2 eggs every day and back to their old self with regards for food.
 I think the cold snap just got to them at the time and was a shock to the system.

Thank you all for your replies and help

Melbourne12

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Harrow, Middx
    • Allotmenteering Blog
« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2011, 11:22:11 »
Good to hear that they're back to normal.   Perhaps they had some mild respiratory infection.

In spite of your neighbours' practice, I'd still recommend properly worming them every 6 months at least.

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2011, 12:15:39 »
I'm glad your chickens have perked up.
As for worming, I rather be safe than sorry and worming cost pennies and the efford for getting it done is so minimal that it is well worth it being part of the normal routine. If worms should become a issue..even if the girls are not run down by them..it will have effect to their egg production. If they get worms present in their droppings..you will have to result to chemical medication. Those eggs produced while medication is on, are not advised to be eaten/used. And not only that..chemical treatments are more expensive..it costs pounds rather than pennies with 'preventative' stuff.
Diatom=diatomeous earth can be bought very cheaply if bought under generic name rather than brand. I give my girls course of this powder once a month by mixing it in their food as well as it is used dusting their shed for external paracites.
One product and job done.. ;)..would not go back to chemical treatments in a hurry.
I've used it now for a year and it seem to be working treat..it was recommended for me by commercial poultry keeper that has been happy with the stuff for years.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal