Author Topic: damson seeds  (Read 1452 times)

Twoflower

• Hectare
  • Three girls and a cat!!!
damson seeds
« on: November 24, 2011, 10:16:00 »

I've saved some damson seeds/stones when i made my last lot of jam. Has anyone grow them from seeds and do they need cold to grow?
                 Twoflower :)

gavinjconway

• Hectare
    • GavinConway.net - Our Allotment
Re: damson seeds
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2011, 12:07:27 »
I dug up about 20 seedlings from under my tree that have grown on their own on the new plot so I would assume they will grow.. I dont know whether they need to be grafted to be a good tree or not...
Now a member of the 10 Ton club.... (over 10 ton per acre)    2013  harvested 588 Kg from 165 sq mt..      see my web blog at...  http://www.gavinconway.net

pumkinlover

« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2011, 13:08:00 »
I've saved one I found and am going to give it a try- huge fruits still looking healthy in October.
I think it will need grafting onto rootstock- also may not breed true (not usre if they are self -fertile).

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2011, 13:50:59 »
I have several self sets on one plot.... there is no discernable change tot he fruit from the parents... and yes I expect they would need a cold period to promote germination...  :-\

Twoflower

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2011, 17:03:52 »

Thanks will have to find some compost and get planting   :)

pumkinlover

« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2011, 17:08:23 »
"I have several self sets on one plot.... there is no discernable change tot he fruit from the parents... and yes I expect they would need a cold period to promote germination...  Undecided"

Have you grafted them Saddad- if not how do you keep the size down?

Twoflower

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2011, 17:11:17 »

size isn't a problem i have a F.I.L who loves pruning ;D

realfood

• Hectare
    • Grow Your Own Fruit and Vegetables
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2011, 18:29:36 »
The "self sown seedlings" are likely to be suckers which grow from the roots of the original root stock, often several metres from the original tree. This is common with all members of the plum family and can be a problem in reproducing where they are not wanted. In fact this is the way in the wild that they reproduce and spread.
For a quick guide for the Growing, Storing and Cooking of your own Fruit and Vegetables, go to www.growyourown.info

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2011, 22:58:38 »
We have suckers too....
they aren't grafted... but are self sets... I dug enough out to know the difference...  :-X

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal