Author Topic: 'Bangladeshi' chillies  (Read 3332 times)

goodlife

• Hectare
'Bangladeshi' chillies
« on: October 27, 2011, 15:11:42 »
Now who was it?.. who send me two different sort of chilli seeds under name 'Bangladeshi' chillies. One was short bushy plants producing some different coloured chillies..and another tallish plants with purple tinge on leaves and dark purple fruit.
I just wanted to know..does the purple fruit ripen to red colour or is the purple (almost black) fruit the ripe and its final colour?
BTW..plants are doing well..and bought now indoors..with a little hope that they would over winter until next year and saves me job of starting it all over again.

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
Re: 'Bangladeshi' chillies
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2011, 18:10:00 »
Squash (Betty) from Birmingham?  :-\

Squash64

• Hectare
    • Walsall Road Allotments
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2011, 18:41:23 »
Yes, I think it might have been me, :)

I think the tall one is purple but I didn't grow one this year so I'm not 100% certain.

I've still got the original short one on the kitchen window sill and it is fully of chillies at the moment.  I cut it back quite a lot in the summer and it did it good.  I'll take a photo when I get back home (at my son's till tomorrow evening)
Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham

allotment website:-
www.growit.btck.co.uk

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2011, 09:30:15 »
Oh yes..it was you Squash..how did I forgot that?
I've got purple fruit on mine.. ;D
I've been trying to find out if they have 'proper' name and they would appear in  seed shopping sites..but all similar type of chillies are always listed ''turning red when ripe''.
That's why I was asking if they would stay purple or not.
Nothing wrong with the 'Bangladeshi' chilli 'tall' that says on my label.. ;D ;)..I was just being a bored  and couldn't find better way of killing idleness...I made myself promise not to buy any more seeds this year..so next best thing is searching and window shopping.. ::)
Like proper holic with withdrawal symptoms... ;D ;D..I've already been 'clean' TWO WEEKS! :o

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2011, 23:53:21 »
The 'Pretty in purple' pepper fruit from Squash was a lovely purple shade originally and has turned red.  I think red is the maturity colour for all peppers and chillis.  Time to harvest the seeds  :)

I have planned a nice brisket joint from the slow cooker for this weekend.  Been peeling lots of shallots and the Pretty in Purple fruit will go in that too with carrots, turnip leaves and a few tomatoes.  

Not sure whether to say Sorry! or Congratulations! to overcoming your seedaholic addiction,  Goodlife  ;D ;D ;D
« Last Edit: October 28, 2011, 23:56:27 by galina »

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2011, 09:46:06 »
Code: [Select]
Not sure whether to say Sorry! or Congratulations! to overcoming your seedaholic addiction,  GoodlifeAh..I'm sure I've not overcome it at all..just managing.. ::) Once a holic..always a holic. And it was only promise to myself not to by anymore this year..I can always swap, beg and borrow.. ;)
Oh, I've notice this 'pritty in purple' been talked about..I just never made the connection it was the same as the 'tall bangladeshi'.. ;D Thanks..I shall wait patiently then for the pods to ripen to red.. ;)

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2011, 10:32:58 »
Goodlife,

I don't believe they are the same.  Just mentioned it because both are purple chillis than end up red coloured.  Sorry for causing confusion.

Well, if swapping etc is 'allowed' then the withdrawal symptoms should not be too severe.   ;D

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal