Author Topic: Advice on Sloe jam  (Read 2282 times)

gavinjconway

• Hectare
    • GavinConway.net - Our Allotment
Advice on Sloe jam
« on: October 25, 2011, 17:38:54 »
Hi all you cooks out there... I have been offered some sloe berries that have been sieved from the sloe gin a friend has made. She has heard we can now make jam with the berries... anyone have any advice?  The jam might be a bit alcoholic.... hic.. hic...  ;D
Now a member of the 10 Ton club.... (over 10 ton per acre)    2013  harvested 588 Kg from 165 sq mt..      see my web blog at...  http://www.gavinconway.net

pumkinlover

Re: Advice on Sloe jam
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2011, 18:18:42 »
The ratio of stone to fruit is a bit high, might be a bit tedious! :-\
Love to know how you get on :)

brownowl23

• Acre
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2011, 10:24:05 »
I plan on doing some too once its been through the sherry as well.so its going to very alcollohic hic jam! will let you know how it goes

although ive just foun d this

It is a wonderful tangy jelly jam that again Shares it wonderful colours with the sloe gin.

All you need is:
900g (2lb) Sloes
1.8kg (4lb) Cooking apples
Juice and peel of one Lemon
Sugar

Wash and drain the sloes and prick them. Put them In a pan with the lemon juice, peel and just enough water to cover. Simmer until pulpy.

Wash and chop the apples, then simmer in a Separate pan, with water to cover - again until soft and pulpy.

Strain the two pulps through scalded jelly bags or fine muslin hung overnight over bowls to catch the juice - do not squeeze the bags, which will result in cloudy jelly.

Mix and then measure the juices, bring to the boil, add sugar at the rate of 450g to 570ml (1lb to 1 pint) and stir until dissolved. Boil until setting point is reached. Remove any scum, using a heated stainless-steel spoon.
then you can bottle it, and store it.

« Last Edit: October 28, 2011, 10:38:33 by brownowl23 »

Kleftiwallah

• Acre
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2011, 11:01:13 »

This is what you do, cut away as much flesh from the sloes as you can be bothered to.  Whisk up some double cream and combine with some melted dark good quality cooking chocolate.  Fold in the sloes and leave in the fridge to chill and harden.

Form into small balls and roll in cocoa powder or chocolate hundreds and thousands. place in small cake cases and give as gifts.   Easy peasy.    Cheers,   :o  Tony.
" I may be growing old, but I refuse to grow up !"

gavinjconway

• Hectare
    • GavinConway.net - Our Allotment
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2011, 22:39:04 »
These 2 recipes look good... may have to do the chocolate one...

Mmmmmmmmm... chocolate  ;D
Now a member of the 10 Ton club.... (over 10 ton per acre)    2013  harvested 588 Kg from 165 sq mt..      see my web blog at...  http://www.gavinconway.net

widgetwilk

• Half Acre
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2011, 20:35:03 »
I thought of making jam with the 'soaked' sloes, someone told me that when you boil them to make jam the alcoholic goes out of it,
also never thought of the stones!!! :-\

they also said they were nice in pies!!!
« Last Edit: November 02, 2011, 20:36:41 by widgetwilk »

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2011, 08:25:13 »
I do a similar recipe to the one Brownowl showed and make Sloe Gin Jelly.  (and I do squeeze the jelly bag as I was maximum flavour and as I am not selling or showing the product, I don't mind if it is a bit cloudy)  I don't use any apples as there is a lot of pectin in the sloes and it has always set okay for me, altho I do chop up a lemon or 2 and add to the pot.  I cook the sloes with some water and mash them as they soften.  Simmer gently until they are really tender, then strain.  Then for every pint of liquid I use a pound of sugar.  I normally finish off the jelly by adding about a teaspoon (or 3) of sloe gin to the bottom of the jars before adding the jelly, then give them a little whirl once the lids are on.  Lovely on crumpets on a Sunday morning.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal