Author Topic: Bought comfrey root from ebay took 5 days to arrive will they survive?  (Read 1636 times)

the_snail

• Hectare
  • Be Kind to Slugs and Snails! :)
Hello

I bought some bocking 14 from ebay and they arrived today. I put them into pots straight away and noticed that it took 5 days in the post. The roots where a little soft and dry. Are they dead? Will they grow? I am a little worried as 5 days in post is a long time for just roots. They where wrapped in newspaper.

Thanks all.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2011, 23:20:13 by the_snail »
Be kind to slugs and snails!

Russell

• Half Acre
I think if you plant them as soon as possible they will grow, you will see green shoots in spring. If you want to put them in pots they will start a bit earlier but if you know where you want to have them I should plant them out now. They are going to grow anyway irrespective of any TLC you give them. Don't plant them out and then decide to move them there always seems to be a bit of root left behind which grows.

lincsyokel2

• Hectare
    • Read my blog at
Comfrey will grow from the tiniest bit of root. It will come back no matter how much and how often you chop the top off, and its suirvived even the worst frost and droughts in the last few years. Make no mistake, comfrey is harder than 'Alien' to kill off.
Nothing is ever as it seems. With appropriate equations I can prove this.
Read my blog at http://www.freedebate.co.uk/blog/

SIGN THE PETITION: Punish War Remembrance crimes such as vandalising War memorials!!!   -  http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/22356

pumkinlover

I am sure it will be ok.
Till last year I would have absolutly agreed with your post LY2, but I had a huge well established comfrey patch on the half plot I gave up when I moved plots. I warned the newcomer he would have  a real problem with it but he dug it out and it's never come back. If you do not believe I do not blame you as I wouldn't if I hadn't seen it. :D

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
Was your established patch "Bocking 14" which allegedly hasn't got the same problem of re growing...  :-\

pumkinlover

I honestly cannot remember. I know I wanted Bocking14 and think I may have bought that, but it's so long ago I forget!
Hence I never reply to people asking for bocking 14. From what you say maybe it is, another thing it does not seed around, which I think is another attribut of Bocking 14.
I took cuttings to move to my new plot so you've made my day Saddad :D I've got  the posh stuff ;D

the_snail

• Hectare
  • Be Kind to Slugs and Snails! :)
Thank you all for your reasurance. I was quite concerened as the roots where dry and slightly soft and they had been in the post for 4-5 days. They went in large 2ltr pots of potting compost and well watered and are now in the greenhouse so hopefully if it does not get to cold to quickly I might see slight signs of life sooner than next spring.  ;D

Thanks all  :)
Be kind to slugs and snails!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal