Author Topic: instant leaf mould  (Read 1859 times)

bridbod

• Not So New ...
instant leaf mould
« on: November 02, 2011, 20:36:04 »
If I put fallen tree leaves in an empty water butt and shred em with an electric strimmer I end up with instant leafmould ... or is life never that easy ? it certainly beats waiting a year or two  ;D  comments most welcome

Duke Ellington

• Hectare
Re: instant leaf mould
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2011, 20:47:21 »
Nope......even shredded leaves take time but shredding them speeds up the process. It will still take a year at the least.

Duke :)
dont be fooled by the name I am a Lady!! :-*

pumkinlover

« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2011, 21:11:20 »
If I put fallen tree leaves in an empty water butt and shred em with an electric strimmer I end up with instant leafmould ... or is life never that easy ? it certainly beats waiting a year or two  ;D  comments most welcome

Had to read that twice as I came out in a cold sweat when I read "water butt" and "electric strimmer"  in the same sentance.
Reasured by the empty bit.!

lincsyokel2

• Hectare
    • Read my blog at
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2011, 21:33:51 »

Had to read that twice as I came out in a cold sweat when I read "water butt" and "electric strimmer"  in the same sentance.
Reasured by the empty bit.!

thats what outboard motors are for.
Nothing is ever as it seems. With appropriate equations I can prove this.
Read my blog at http://www.freedebate.co.uk/blog/

SIGN THE PETITION: Punish War Remembrance crimes such as vandalising War memorials!!!   -  http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/22356

Kleftiwallah

• Acre
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2011, 12:17:45 »

Ditto pumpkinlover ! ! !    Cheers,    Tony.
" I may be growing old, but I refuse to grow up !"

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2011, 16:16:11 »
I am a very impatient sort.  I put leaves into compost dalek for the winter and then come may I want the dalek.  So what to I do with partly rotten leaves, so I simply bury them and planted beans on top.  Had a good crop of beans and come autumn I dug through and the leaves had more or less disappeared and there were loads of worms.  Also used the partly rotted leaves as a mulch, by the end of the summer they had disappeared too even though I had put straw on top to stop them drying out and blowing away.   Having lots of leaves around seems to please the worms.

Leaves need fungus to decompose not sure that instant comes into it.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2011, 16:24:02 by Digeroo »

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal