Author Topic: gas and leccy  (Read 2574 times)

ACE

• Hectare
gas and leccy
« on: October 18, 2011, 17:57:09 »
£125 profit per customer each year. How to reduce bills, insulate, shop around and pay by direct debit. How come I already do that but the price is still going up?

I don't think that is the answer, reduce the rip off prices was what the power watchdog should have insisted on, but I expect they all have a bundle of shares an don't want their divi reduced.

I don't know if his is true, perhaps someone on here knows but if every family in britain shopped in tesco it would work out at £1,200 profit from each family. Tesco make about 2 billion profit in the UK and I think there are 1.7 million families. So I give them a fortnights hard earned wages just to share out to the fat cats.

Don't preach to me about burning wood I done that for 25 years until I moved here. Havn't got a fireplace so not an option.

Nigel B

• Hectare
Re: gas and leccy
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2011, 18:17:17 »
You and the rest of us Ace.
 'Fuel poverty?', full-on poverty more like..... And they say the cuts haven't started to bite yet.
If that really is the case, I have no idea what we'll do. We'd hardly be eating now if not for the allotment.
Inflation rate 5.2% and heading up.... Where else can it go when the government keeps printing more and more money, making what little we have worth even less?
If I had money now, I'd probably be wise to spend it on dried and canned food..... and shotgun shells.
"Carry on therefore with your good work.  Do not rest on your spades, except for those brief periods which are every gardeners privilege."

boydzfish

• Half Acre
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2011, 19:23:15 »
I raged so much at the telly my missus thought I was going to chuck it out of the window before Corrers!! It makes me sick to listen to those clueless tools in government sitting there saying we're all in it together when clearly they're not or they would do something about it. Insulate and turn down the heating a degree; sounds very much like let them eat cake. AAAAAArrrrrggggghhhhhh >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(
Boydzfish

Unwashed

• Hectare
  • Vexatious, moi?
    • Simon on Facebook
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2011, 22:53:31 »
I find politicians, especially the local variety, very oily - I think they'd be good for quite a few BTUs.
An Agreement of the People for a firm and present peace upon grounds of common right

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2011, 07:43:17 »
When you try to save on fuel and manage make a difference, our supplier don't believe us. They think we have 'played' with our meter!
Only few months ago we had new smart meter installed..so we should not need meter readers to come around for the numbers. Now that our gas reading has hardly had any change to it for months (having woodfire), Eon has sent to us several letters to arrange meter reader to come around. It was only Monday we had last one and and yet another call to complain about the letters.. ::) Only this time the person on other end of the line dared to say..."you haven't used your gas?!" We'll see if the letters do stop coming now that I've explained we use wood too.
If I start using our gas "normal rate"..I bet they send police around to check if we have something 'unusual' growing in spare bedroom.. ::)

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2011, 07:50:52 »
If I start using our gas "normal rate"..I bet they send police around to check if we have something 'unusual' growing in spare bedroom.. ::)

I think you might need leccy rather than gas for that!!
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

GodfreyRob

• Acre
  • Good Boy!
    • The VGA Live!
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2011, 08:20:56 »

To add to the insult, if you 'shop around' and go for a fixed price rate - this is what happens:

Scottish Power Platinum Fixed Energy package available now but:

If you cancel your Platinum Fixed Energy October 2013 Offer
Product by switching to another gas and/or electricity supplier
before 30th September 2013, we will apply a cancellation
charge. The current cancellation charges are £30.64 for
electricity and £20.42 for gas, each inclusive of VAT at the
current rate of 20%.

This gives the lie to the governements rhetoric that you can shop around for cheaper rates - the power companies have got this one stitched up already.
Software for Vegetable Growers:
The VGA Live!

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2011, 08:34:25 »
Code: [Select]
I think you might need leccy rather than gas for that!! ;D..see..I'm totally innocent for 'that'.. ;D
I would have put the central heating on (gas) and wrigged up lot of leccy lights..perharps its better not take this tread into growing instructions side.. :-X

tomatoada

• Hectare
  • south birmingham
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2011, 08:36:50 »
EON are offering a deal for over 80s.  Has anyone looked into wether this is a good deal.

antipodes

• Hectare
  • W. France, 5m x 20m (900 ft2)
    • My allotment blog
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2011, 11:11:53 »
In France energy is cheaper but this year the difference is astonishing, 10 euros a month more for gas! I only use it to cook on the burners and our hot water! my heating is central to the building. And electricity has also increased by 5 euros a month!
As I don't have any alternative, I just have to stick with it but it makes me mad! Any ideas on how to save on energy?
2012 - Snow in February, non-stop rain till July. Blight and rot are rife. Thieving voles cause strife. But first runner beans and lots of greens. Follow an English allotment in urban France: http://roos-and-camembert.blogspot.com

tricia

• Hectare
  • Torbay, Devon
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2011, 17:35:39 »
Shop around??? I tried that and found that I could save a whopping £13.40 per year if I changes to the cheapest tariff on my current usage - not worth the hassle. As GodfreyRobb says the penalties for wanting to change tariffs negate any incentive by the consumer.

Tricia

grannyjanny

• PMs
  • Hectare
  • Lives in Cheshire. Light sandy soil. Loves no dig.
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2011, 17:39:00 »
I wouldn't touch EON. They told youngest daughter that they owed £4000 in gas before last Christmas. They have sent meter readings in to them & they still said they owe that amount. I suggested she read the meter herself for a few weeks & she has only been using 10 units a week not the 100+ they have been charging for. In the end they had an email saying they actually owed £30. Now there's a surprise. Eldest daughter has been paying them £200 a month but thought she had better check her own. They have been taking readings but putting estimated on the bill. She is now in credit & they still want £200 a month. I've heard lots of complaints about them. There that's my tuppence worth.

As to saving on fuel I am considering getting a halogen oven. They are supposed to use about 40% less power than the big oven & you can do the same cooking in them.  

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal