Author Topic: several veg growing terms that seem to confuse gardeners  (Read 47058 times)

GrannieAnnie

• Hectare
  • in Delaware, USA growing zone 6 or 7
Re: several veg growing terms that seem to confuse gardeners
« Reply #220 on: October 28, 2011, 19:31:42 »
  I'm off to, well, do a bit of lounging on it. I know my place. 8) (and that's me lounging with sunglasses on)
Lishka the Lounge Lizard.

That has a ring to it.
The handle on your recliner does not qualify as an exercise machine.

Aden Roller

• Hectare
  • Sussex near the sea
« Reply #221 on: October 29, 2011, 01:10:00 »
Hey! This thing about spelling. In these days of teachers not properly correcting childrens' spellings

Hey! This thing about teachers! I used to give my year 2's 10 spellings a week to learn, tested every Friday morning, sticker charts for success, they loved it.  I had to make sure the Head wasn't around to see me, though.... ???

Love it!!  ;D One of the arts of teaching!!  ;)

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #222 on: October 29, 2011, 10:32:49 »
explain please.......off to work now x
Sorry for not answering sooner Den. I disappeared off to my plot but, unlike you, forgot to mention it!! It was really just a reply to using "set" rather than "sit", but once I typed "I'd settle for sit", I had a Dr Seuss moment which led to "not sit on the settle" (which of course kind of contradicts what I was really saying).  ::)

I was in a bit of a frivolous mood yesterday for some reason.  :-[ :-[

Aden Roller

• Hectare
  • Sussex near the sea
« Reply #223 on: October 29, 2011, 10:48:42 »
explain please.......off to work now x
I was in a bit of a frivolous mood yesterday for some reason.  :-[ :-[

The excitement of going off to the plot I expect!  ;)

Lishka

• Acre
« Reply #224 on: October 29, 2011, 13:19:05 »
I rather like our Global Mod when she gets orl frivolous 8) ;D

Oi G-A! Lounge Lizards iz MEN over here! Slicked-back Brylcreamed hair, centre parting, p'raps a thin moustache? (funny word, that -where did mice come into it?), deffo brothel-creepers or hmmmm... shiny black shoes worn with spats? Or some of those mock-Gucci ones with little chains and tassels on them? Think David Niven at his best 8)

Actually, when I had a hysterectomy I quizzed the surgeon when he came to visit me post-op about just what surgery he'd performed when I was out of it, sex-change perhaps?  Having nothing to read I'd idly picked up the puter print out of my 'vitals'........in the check box M/F there was a big fat tick in the M box...apparently when the machine doesn't pick up a womb present it makes the assumption......... ::) ;D

Things which you'd rather not hear/could have been expressed differently....

(seems I'm out of page.to be continued........ 

Lishka

• Acre
« Reply #225 on: October 29, 2011, 13:31:42 »
sorry - is there a limit to the length of posts? 'It' wouldn't let me continue.

So to carry on. Things you'd rather not hear...

11am flight Heathrow to NC. On-target for an 11am lift-off. Plane starts to slowly move away from the Airport terminal. And stops. An announcement is made that a leak of hydraulic fluid has been seen from the "front end"so we were going back to base for the engineers to take a "look-see" Whew! Glad that was spotted, I thought..And so the minutes pass. And an hour goes by. And then some more minutes. Finally, two hours later the 1st Officer makes his announcement as we start moving off again - "Well folks I can tell you that the engineers have said that, apparently, they've got it fixed." Apparently? APPARENTLY? A-BLOODY-PARENTLY?

But then the chief pilot come on with an amended statement, the A-word this time omitted ;D ;D ;D

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #226 on: October 29, 2011, 13:34:50 »
 ;D..this tread is finding new terms for the veg growing...sex change, leeks from from front end.. :-X ;D

Lishka

• Acre
« Reply #227 on: October 29, 2011, 13:42:01 »
;D..this tread is finding new terms for the veg growing...sex change, leeks from from front end.. :-X ;D

and the time when the lovely gentleman who lives next door and whom I was helping to tidy up his veggie beds told me to look out for his dibber, which he'd lost weeks ago. Poor love. :-*

betula

• Hectare
« Reply #228 on: October 29, 2011, 13:48:26 »
Hmmm David Niven....I adored him.So smooooooooooooth.

Always a sucker for a charmer ;D

Hysterectomy.......did you read Germaine Greer's views on that op?

Must stress I know sometimes it is totally necessary but her views made me question it with Drs and yes as it turned out I was treated another way and hung on to me bits.They would have had me on the table quick as you like if I had not been shall we say difficult. :)Germaine would have been proud of me.

As it is I am sat on me settee and it is so comfy I am loathe to part with it but it has seen much better days...........makes me look poor...well I am poor but don't want to look it as I am all kippers and curtains as me Mother says.

Do they have kippers and curtains in the USA I wonder. ???

pumkinlover

« Reply #229 on: October 29, 2011, 13:58:06 »
Trouble with kippers and curtains is the lingering eau de kipper ;D

How long ago was that Betula ?, everyone now seems to have to talk the Doctor's into doing a hysterectomy at least round here.
I think they are much less keen, unless it is reverse psychology that is ;)

Lishka

• Acre
« Reply #230 on: October 29, 2011, 15:13:47 »
Kippers! I so love kippers for breakfast! - proper ones with heads and tails and a glassy eye staring at me from the breakfast plate - bliss :-* My husband who (obviously) had more style than me, reckoned that the combination, tho not perhaps at breakfast) of kippers + this season's new Beaujolais was the marriage made in heaven 8)

New grown/up G-A to confirm but I don't think that kippers are 'known' in the US? Doubt, therefore that the term 'kippers and curtains' also will be...?

But back to kippers! A couple or so years ago I made a trip to Great Yarmouth - I've a cousin there I hoped to look up and it was near to visit Rosebud & her OH at that time :-* to Rosebud. Gotta cheapo 5 day coach deal. Perfect weather and I walked and walked round G.Y exploring all the nooks and crannies. All I'd known previously was that it was on the coast in Norfolk ("very flat, Norfolk...") What a wonderful place and what history, I'd just not known or imagined. They've a long historic link to the herring fishing industry and the Time and Tide museum was enthralling. As was the Smoke House museum and The Rows (the housing). And then there was the link to Charles I + Cromwell to discover!I'd not realized the link to Yarmouth there. The Roman Wall? Bring it on! I'd truly truly not realized how interesting Yarmouth was/is. And a great climate to boot. Wot's not to love?  (this ad. brought to you courtesy of the G.Y. Tourist Board) btw :P 8) ;D

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #231 on: October 29, 2011, 15:24:33 »
Trouble with kippers and curtains is the lingering eau de kipper ;D

Like the horrible, vexing story of the kipper lost behind the AGA! -  can't get at it and it takes months before the kitchen becomes habitable again, or so we are told.   ;D

Which swiftly brings me back to the topic of vegetable growing, because the AGA of course is intricately involved in dealing with the end product of all that activity.  But are AGAs even known about in the USA? Or is this just another very confusing gardening term?

GrannieAnnie

• Hectare
  • in Delaware, USA growing zone 6 or 7
« Reply #232 on: October 29, 2011, 15:29:39 »
Had kippers for first time in England with fried toms and eggs. Yum. Probably are available in the states in British haunts but haven't seen any locally. Also saw the Roman Wall with little lambs frisking around it- a delightful memory!

Curtains=window hangings but not as big as draperies.  I don't get the connection between kippers and curtains though.

Hysterectomies= great to have available if you need it.

Time and Tide=A small factoid from history:  there was a steamer ship by that name on the Mississippi in the 1850s. When it was going to depart the captain would yell, "All aboard! The Time and Tide wait for no man!
The handle on your recliner does not qualify as an exercise machine.

Aden Roller

• Hectare
  • Sussex near the sea
« Reply #233 on: October 29, 2011, 21:57:04 »
Well you have all skipped round the houses while I've been out!  ;D

Confusing?
I'll go to the bottom of our stairs!!  ;D

betula

• Hectare
« Reply #234 on: October 29, 2011, 23:18:46 »
Kippers and curtains

A saying used when talking about someone who looks well off but are really broke as they have to eat kippers.

The other one that means the same is fur coat and no knickers ;D

Stopp

• Half Acre
« Reply #235 on: October 29, 2011, 23:34:50 »
Don't you mean I'll go to the foot of our stairs  @ aden.  Also a Jethro Tull song  lol 

Well, I'll go to the foot of our stairs.
Old gentlemen talk of when they were young
of ladies lost and erring sons.
Sharon T

Aden Roller

• Hectare
  • Sussex near the sea
« Reply #236 on: October 30, 2011, 10:19:40 »
Don't you mean I'll go to the foot of our stairs  @ aden.  Also a Jethro Tull song  lol  

Well, I'll go to the foot of our stairs.
Old gentlemen talk of when they were young
of ladies lost and erring sons.

That's exactly what I mean but "we" have a habit of changing common sayings as my mother always makes up her own adapted versions.  ::)  ;)

Betula... "fur coat and no knickers" is altogether a bit on the risky side where I came from  ::) similar to "red hat and no drawers"  :o  :o
« Last Edit: October 30, 2011, 10:21:58 by Aden Roller »

betula

• Hectare
« Reply #237 on: November 12, 2011, 19:48:45 »
Red hat and no drawers?Sounds draughty ;D

Sat on my settee watching Strictly.........eating After Eights.

I did not have the golden envelope promising £80,000  :'(

Lishka

• Acre
« Reply #238 on: November 12, 2011, 20:13:25 »

Sat on my settee watching Strictly.........eating After Eights.

Ooooo! Your msg timed at 19.48+abit.......and you're eating AFTER Eights?! Betula, that's supposed to be after 8.00PM, not after 8.00AM ::) ;D

pumkinlover

« Reply #239 on: November 12, 2011, 20:21:05 »
I'll go to foot of ours stairs   - to me this meant "that's something of a surprise to me"

Fur coat and no knickers-- well that sort of "mutton dressed as lamb" , definatly a slur on a ladies's character :-[  :o :o :o

You do not hear these sayings much these days ???

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal