Author Topic: several veg growing terms that seem to confuse gardeners  (Read 46816 times)

Aden Roller

• Hectare
  • Sussex near the sea
Re: several veg growing terms that seem to confuse gardeners
« Reply #240 on: November 13, 2011, 00:24:11 »
I'll go to foot of ours stairs   - to me this meant "that's something of a surprise to me"

Fur coat and no knickers-- well that sort of "mutton dressed as lamb" , definatly a slur on a ladies's character :-[  :o :o :o

You do not hear these sayings much these days ???

And I thought that someone might have created an online dictionary of some of the more common ones but......... this was about the best I could find and that's not copper bottomed!

betula

• Hectare
« Reply #241 on: November 14, 2011, 21:51:19 »
Go and play up you own end.

That was a common cry from adults when we were kids  ;D

lottie lou

• Hectare
  • Birmingham
« Reply #242 on: November 14, 2011, 22:23:58 »
Go and play up you own end. 
That was a common cry from adults when we were kids  ;D

That wasn't a saying - that was a command!

betula

• Hectare
« Reply #243 on: November 14, 2011, 23:21:04 »
I never said it was a saying :)

Go and play up your own end LOL :P :P :P

Aden Roller

• Hectare
  • Sussex near the sea
« Reply #244 on: November 15, 2011, 01:03:21 »
"Children should be seen and not heard"

I often managed not to be heard or seen.  It was safer that way....

Out of sight out of mind!  ;)

Kea

• Hectare
« Reply #245 on: November 17, 2011, 09:35:06 »
sorry - is there a limit to the length of posts? 'It' wouldn't let me continue.

So to carry on. Things you'd rather not hear...

11am flight Heathrow to NC. On-target for an 11am lift-off. Plane starts to slowly move away from the Airport terminal. And stops. An announcement is made that a leak of hydraulic fluid has been seen from the "front end"so we were going back to base for the engineers to take a "look-see" Whew! Glad that was spotted, I thought..And so the minutes pass. And an hour goes by. And then some more minutes. Finally, two hours later the 1st Officer makes his announcement as we start moving off again - "Well folks I can tell you that the engineers have said that, apparently, they've got it fixed." Apparently? APPARENTLY? A-BLOODY-PARENTLY?

But then the chief pilot come on with an amended statement, the A-word this time omitted ;D ;D ;D

You've got to be careful with those words you bung in sentence (idiosyncrasies) e.g. your example here 'apparently'. You can do it without noticing....I'm inclined to pop in randomly 'basically' (common to a lot of kiwi's) and 'actually'. I wrote an email to someone the other day I didn't even notice the 'actually' I'd bunged in and well a simple little question in passing became a incendiary device causing an angry and outraged reply from the recipient but without me understanding why. Three emails later it turns out my inclusion of the word 'actually' was the thing and i can't convince him I meant nothing by it and he's now read other meanings into every other word I've written. All I can surmise is that this guy is a very insecure person and in retrospect I see that women (educated intelligent ones) set him off....he's made snide remarks about one to me and made an unwarranted attack on another in a meeting. I now think I probably only needed to make one mistake to set him. I was feeling bad about it now I see he's just ridiculous.

Aden Roller

• Hectare
  • Sussex near the sea
« Reply #246 on: November 18, 2011, 10:14:09 »
Kea - I have a sister who tends to react a little "unexpectedly". At the age of 50 you'd have thought she'd given up jumping up and down on the spot to get her own way.  ::)

A word in the wrong place or one that is not the answer she wants to hear and there's trouble. I find it easier to try to avoid talking to her. She often prefers not to listen to me but to talk at me.  ::) She often does this standing still watching me work and complains if I dare to interupt.

It's best to wait until the end even if I already know what it is she is talking about.  ;D

Kea

• Hectare
« Reply #247 on: November 18, 2011, 10:48:22 »
Kea -
 She often prefers not to listen to me but to talk at me.  ::)

Yes he did this at the meeting we both attended! Everyone sat there glazed for 40 mins while he went off on one. Then when the chairman tried to engage other people, myself included, we got our mouths open and he would talk again....we must have looked like a bunch of goldfish.
Turn's out he's done it to everyone else on the committee that are female.

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #248 on: November 18, 2011, 12:49:01 »
Kea - I have a sister who tends to react a little "unexpectedly". At the age of 50 you'd have thought she'd given up jumping up and down on the spot to get her own way.  ::)

This reminds me of a friend who often says quite outrageous things to make himself feel superior (well this is my interpretation anyway).  His family emigrated from Britain several generations ago and he said to us (who were hosting him at the time in Britain!), that everybody with any sort of 'get up and go' had long left Britain and those that are living in Britain now are a bit quaint, backward and timid.   He did not even realise that this might just be a bit inappropriate?  Whilst helping me dry the dishes - did I say he is a nice and helpful guy ??? - he proceded to tell me how much more hygienic my dishes would be if I had a dishwasher and everything would be washed at higher temperatures.  In the garden, after offering to help, he told me that my composting is all wrong too and in his home in Texas, it is done a different way.  He even offered to send me instructions, so that I could learn how to do it properly ;D.  Needless to say he disapproves of most things we say or do that is different to his ways, whilst somehow trying to remain a friend who would (probably) give his last shirt for us.  There's nowt as queer as folk!

Kea

• Hectare
« Reply #249 on: November 18, 2011, 12:52:03 »
Arrh well  ::)  ;D

Aden Roller

• Hectare
  • Sussex near the sea
« Reply #250 on: November 19, 2011, 00:41:11 »

This reminds me of a friend who often says quite outrageous things to make himself feel superior (well this is my interpretation anyway).  His family emigrated from Britain several generations ago and he said to us (who were hosting him at the time in Britain!), that everybody with any sort of 'get up and go' had long left Britain and those that are living in Britain now are a bit quaint, backward and timid.  He did not even realise that this might just be a bit inappropriate?  Whilst helping me dry the dishes - did I say he is a nice and helpful guy ??? - he proceded to tell me how much more hygienic my dishes would be if I had a dishwasher and everything would be washed at higher temperatures.  In the garden, after offering to help, he told me that my composting is all wrong too and in his home in Texas, it is done a different way.  He even offered to send me instructions, so that I could learn how to do it properly ;D.  Needless to say he disapproves of most things we say or do that is different to his ways, whilst somehow trying to remain a friend who would (probably) give his last shirt for us.  There's nowt as queer as folk!

We have had an American friend who was very similar. Nothing here was quite right. Always picking holes and complaining despite making good use of our free NHS and other welfare benefits while he pickily searched for a job that was not "beneath" him. (He had married a friend of ours).

After a couple of years of listening to his constant niggling, and on the occasion of him almost tripping over a paving slab and complaining about the state of our "side walks" and threatening to sue, I suggested he could always go home if he found the UK such a backward disaster zone as he had obviously hated his time here.

He went to Eastern Europe instead.  ::) I guess the USA didn't live up to his high expectations either.  :-\

Other American friends and relatives have fortunately been quite different.   :)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal