Author Topic: Sir Brucey.....finally  (Read 8428 times)

lincsyokel2

• Hectare
    • Read my blog at
Sir Brucey.....finally
« on: October 12, 2011, 18:28:59 »
I see they finally got round to Knighting Bruce Forsythe.

Personally, I think it was ashocking that he was made to wait for so long. Very few people have delivered so much good clean family entertainemnt for so long, and never resorted to filth or sex, as pervades much of TV these days.  He made an outstanding contribution to the culture of these lands. About bloody time.
Nothing is ever as it seems. With appropriate equations I can prove this.
Read my blog at http://www.freedebate.co.uk/blog/

SIGN THE PETITION: Punish War Remembrance crimes such as vandalising War memorials!!!   -  http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/22356

ACE

• Hectare
Re: Sir Brucey.....finally
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2011, 18:49:28 »
Boring old fart. Why don't he do the decent thing and let some young blood get in on the act.

betula

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2011, 18:53:29 »
I like Bruce..he has been a good entertainer over the years.

The thing I have never understood though is why people get knighted for doing well paid jobs??

Would like it to be reserved for people who do exceptional things in life for others and have not gained personally from it.

rosebud

• Hectare
    • allotments4all
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2011, 18:56:13 »
  I agree with Ace, he used to be good on game shows & palladium.
Now he really is boring & should have retired years ago, he just cannot let go & will be remembered as a doddering old fool if he does not go now, you only have to watch strictly he bores the bum off you.

Trevor_D

• Hectare
  • north-west London
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2011, 18:58:59 »
A knighthood should be - I think used to be - for doing something "above & beyond"; a bit like a VC or GC. Someone who uses the success and status they have achieved through their career to put something back.

If it's just doing the job well, why haven't we all got one? (I've done the job well and put something back. I should have two!!)

petefj

• Half Acre
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2011, 19:34:02 »
A knighthood should be - I think used to be - for doing something "above & beyond"; a bit like a VC or GC. Someone who uses the success and status they have achieved through their career to put something back.

If it's just doing the job well, why haven't we all got one? (I've done the job well and put something back. I should have two!!)
I agree, he's about as funny as the toothache, dances like a constipated rhino and tells jokes like an 8 year old.
About time he was pensioned off.

Peter
If you can keep your head, whilst those around you are losing theirs,
you obviously don't realise the full horror of your situation.

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2011, 19:52:39 »
I hate the way tells a joke and then has to explain it.  How thick does he think we are?  

I thought they gave honours for people who do something extra such as charity work Not to already overpaid presenters.  

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2011, 21:30:16 »
Thirty years ago I thought he was a disgusting old lecher without an ounce of humour in any of his jokes/ shows. Now that he does a parody of a disgusting old lecher and admits that "his jokes are like his feet, flat and corny" and pretends they are so bad they need to be explained, I actually find him mildly entertaining.

More and more Strictly is showing nothing but socially acceptable foreplay with the behind scene sex scandals to match. ***

The knighthood business is a separate issue.  I think he deserves one as much as most of the nonentities who get them, but I really question how they are awarded. Maybe the monarch should decide instead of the PM. If it were opened to the public to vote I'd be worried that Eastenders/ Corrie/ x-factor and the like might get quite a lot. Not sure politicians should be automatic recipients either!! Anyway I'm like Trevor. I deserve at least two!!!

;D ;D ;D ;D

*** I still enjoy watching it by the way!  ;)

tricia

• Hectare
  • Torbay, Devon
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2011, 23:40:57 »
I can't stand him!  - but I do like to watch Strictly, so I hit the mute button whenever the camera is on him.

Tricia

lincsyokel2

• Hectare
    • Read my blog at
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2011, 01:22:09 »
So all the people with a downer on this, presumably they woudl rather no talent brainless bimbos like Cheryl Cole or Chantelle Houghton, or cynicaly selfish people exploiters like Simon Cowell and Louise Walsh, or gang culture apologists like Nicki Minaj of Will.I.Am should be knighted?

Bruce provided more CLEAN UNSMUTTY UNSEXUALISED TV in any one year since 1939 than can be observed on TV these days in ten years.

Put it like this, i'd rather my grandkids watched Bruce and his clean corn, rather than Rhianna or Beyonce showing everything she 's got and simulating sex with herself on stage under the pretence of dance, or watching the bimbos in programs like TOWIE dress like prostitutes and behave with the morals of a tom cat.

Some peopel here need to get a perspective. I know which one is a better role model.

You judge, which picture would you rather  your grandkids see on TV:

Btw, its a no brainer for most normal people with kids.

edit - Copyright images removed
« Last Edit: October 13, 2011, 10:31:16 by ceres »

SIGN THE PETITION: Punish War Remembrance crimes such as vandalising War memorials!!!   -  http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/22356

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2011, 05:25:35 »
Brucies old hat and had his day, retire gracefully mate, mind you I would like to see him try on the shiney boots.   :D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2011, 09:20:13 »

Some peopel here need to get a perspective.

Btw, its a no brainer for most normal people with kids.

There is a hell of a lot more entertainers out there than you name, but perhaps you have been so long watching all the old washed out ones you have missed them.

I don't have the option of choosing my grandchildren's viewing but I bet their parents would not be letting them view your choices as well as switching over when the boring old farts come on. The mind numbing programmes like x factor, strictly, etc are aimed at wannabee's that have not achieved their own ambitions.

I resent YL and others of that ilk trying to win their points by  stupidly comparing a few bad examples when there is loads of good entertainment out there, conveniently ignored

Edited to remove profanity
« Last Edit: October 13, 2011, 12:40:51 by ceres »

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2011, 10:24:40 »
I love Strictly - for the dancing, but I don't like Bruce Forsythe and am really pleased he's not doing the results show this year.   I'm secrertary of a local dance club so enjoy seeing the dances, the choreography, the professional dance routines, the judges comments (except Alesha who's hopeless) and the improvements made by the celebs.

There are some real Strictly dorks this year but some are going to be really good given half a chance.  It's good family entertainment, as is dancing.  My club organises classes in ballroom, salsa, line dancing, RnB, Hip Hop, belly dancing as well as Funky for kids and we have members from 6 to 76 yrs old.  It's a great social leveller, doesn't cost a fortune and is great fun - and I've even found gardening friends there.

I don't like Bruce's jokes or his innuendo about the relationships between the partners and I do question the wardrobe departments taste for some of the frocks.  Apart from that it's a great show and, as we usually have to record it as we're out dancing, we can FF the irritating bits.
Obxx - Vendée France

betula

• Hectare
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2011, 10:26:46 »
I used to really like x factor but this year it has left me cold...........they are crying all the time and so far seen very little in the way of talent. :(

During audition most of the kids said they want to be somebody.I felt like shouting at the TV ....you are somebody .Value yourself.Why is it they seem to think life is not worth living unless they are a celeb???

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2011, 12:13:17 »
Remind me of that joke years ago about a man in the bookies.

He asked what the odds were on Anthony Eden dying in the next two years

He's an old man said the booky, odds on.

Well how about Anthon Eden and Wilfred Pickles

Booky,  still odds on

Punter Eden, Pickles and Elvis in the next two years

Bookie   100 to 1 Elvis won't go yet

Punter I want better odds how about Eden, Pickles, Elvis and the Pope

Bookie still 100 to 1 the Popes getting on as well

Punter make it two popes then.

Bookie it will never happen all that lot and 2 popes dying within the next two years 10,000 to 1

Now the punter would have been a very rich man if he hadn't got greedy, because Arthur Askey let him down.

Even back then you could have used the same joke using Brucie instead.

lincsyokel2

• Hectare
    • Read my blog at
« Reply #15 on: October 13, 2011, 13:31:54 »
I used to really like x factor but this year it has left me cold...........they are crying all the time and so far seen very little in the way of talent. :(

During audition most of the kids said they want to be somebody.I felt like shouting at the TV ....you are somebody .Value yourself.Why is it they seem to think life is not worth living unless they are a celeb???

Firstly, the X Factor is fixed. Doesnt matter how you vote, the producers will change the rules so that the people the judges WANT to be in the final WILL be in in it. Secondly, it doesnt matter how you vote in the final. The show WILL manipulate and influence the vote, and they have been caught out aiding contestants with extra tutoring, electronic voice enhancement, and they will give peopel they want out poor songs. If the singer insists on a song, they can be stopped unde rthe pretenc eof copyright. SO dont have any illusions that the public has any  influence on who wins X Factor, before the live programs start the judges know who they want in the top three.

They already have spotted which acts are the potential money spinners for them, and them we mean Louise Walsh, and SyCo, who of course not only make millions from licencing the show to the TV studio, they also make a fortune from signing the Acts up after, not to mention the money off the phone lines and the  marketing. advertising and merchandising. Then of course if you want to keep an act in the public have inconveniently voted off you can simply refuse to vote (like Cheryl Coel did), or change the rules mid program, or just have a convenient phone failure on the line (like the way Rhiddian was stopped from winning one year)

Simon Cowel isnt worth £110 million because he knows a talented artists,  its because he knows exactly what cack can be sold to the public for the most money when suitably hyped up. he also knows what makes a good TV show. In that respect, X Factor is little more than throwing Christians to Lions. People are exhibited bbecause they have a sob story, or they can be ridiculed, or they are in some other way momentarily entertaining, and because they are nobodies, once SyCo have done with them, they can be discarded with no fear of litigation.

Many of the Xfactor and BGT and Pop idol contestants who came in the top three have sunk without trace because the agents dropped them  a year or two down the line when they didnt turn out to be the cash cow as expected.

One or two have managed on there own, mainly because they didnt sign the opressive and highly restictive contract SyCo waves at them, Diane Vickers being one, and the little six year old year who sang on X Factor about three years ago whos name escapes me - shes a big hit in the US because she signed up with Katherine Jenkins agent, SyCo having boosted her up, promised her the world then cruelly dropping her and walkinn away at the last moment.

And thats another thing about X factor, the way the deliberately build people up then drop them to get the tears and the tantrums, its all good TV as far as SyCO is concerned, never mind the emotional and mental torment they inflict on people simply to fuel for there own greed

I woudl like to see such programs regulated, and brought under control, so they cant be fixed, and dont hurt peopel like they do, the first step would be to ban anyone under 18 entering.  I think enough is enough, now.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2011, 13:33:47 by lincsyokel2 »

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #16 on: October 13, 2011, 13:39:08 »
Very succinct as usual ??? Lost the will to live halfway through.

antipodes

• Hectare
  • W. France, 5m x 20m (900 ft2)
    • My allotment blog
« Reply #17 on: October 13, 2011, 13:49:41 »
LOL Ace I do agree, but also agree that the X Factor is rigged and is known for exploiting vulnerable people in order to get a laugh out of humiliating them. Pathetic. And also true that people now think that unless they are a "celeb" they are worthless - but none of these so called celebs actually DO anything!!! It's completely absurd. But perhaps just a passing phase as the whole vapidness of it all begins to dawn on people.

Maybe Bruce Forsythe does charity work too? A quick google showed that he does give time and lends his name to many charitable events, especially for kids. And if he's been doing it for 60 years that's worth a nod I guess (despite his crap jokes).  Perhpas he just does it modestly, which god knows is a rare thing these days - I mean look at some of them, with all the press at every humanitarian event - Angelina Jolie surely has "UN Ambassador" monographed on her knickers...
2012 - Snow in February, non-stop rain till July. Blight and rot are rife. Thieving voles cause strife. But first runner beans and lots of greens. Follow an English allotment in urban France: http://roos-and-camembert.blogspot.com

Poppy Mole

• Hectare
  • Petworth, West Sussex
« Reply #18 on: October 13, 2011, 14:43:35 »
Thank God I haver watched the X Factor it sounds horrendous, BUT thank goodnes for people like Brucie & the likes of Terry Wogan who never send anyone up more than themselves, both knighthoods richly deserved, especially for all the good they do very quietly in the background.

tonybloke

• Hectare
  • Gorleston 0n sea, Norfolk
« Reply #19 on: October 13, 2011, 15:37:19 »
Very succinct as usual ??? Lost the will to live halfway through.

here I am agreeing with ACE again!! LOL
You couldn't make it up!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal