Author Topic: Will my brussel sprouts taste OK at this time of year.  (Read 1942 times)

queenbee

• Acre
Will my brussel sprouts taste OK at this time of year.
« on: October 05, 2011, 18:59:24 »
One of my sprout plants have lovely button sprouts on them and I am very tempted to pick them. Is it true that they need a bit of frost to sweeten them. It is years since I last grew sprouts as each time they were eaten by insects or blown. I have tried again this year and have netted them. They are really healthy and pest free apart from the odd slug. Would you eat them at this time of year or leave them a bit longer?
Hi I'm from Heywood, Lancashire

Trevor_D

• Hectare
  • north-west London
Re: Will my brussel sprouts taste OK at this time of year.
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2011, 19:07:36 »
Personally, I'm still reluctant to let go of summer. And it's still autumn....

So, however good they are, I wouldn't eat them yet. (Nothing to do with how good they're looking, you understand.)

I picked runner beans and french beans today, and I've got courgettes to pick at the allotment. A neighbour offered me some leeks this morning, but I'm not ready for them yet!

Nothing personal - sprouts are one of my all-time favourite - winter! - vegetables.

pumkinlover

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2011, 19:17:53 »
I tried them once before they were frosted and did not like them at all.
Maybe some varieties vary, but it's something to look forward to when weathr gets colder :D

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2011, 19:53:55 »
I think it depends on the variety.  I had a few early last year and they were great.   But I still have loads of calabrese etc at the moment.  Some of the lower sprouts tend to go black so I was pleased I had them.

davyw1

• Hectare
  • I love My Country
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2011, 20:55:19 »
Nothing stopping you eating your sprouts now, I have been for months, it comes down to how much of a flavor you want. Sprouts for some reason enhance their flavor after being frosted, so at the moment they will have a mild taste.
If you want the best of both then set away an early variety and a late variety.
When you wake up on a morning say "good morning world" and be grateful

DAVY

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2011, 22:05:47 »
I was always told that the frost is were sprouts get there flavour and what stops them giving you wind :)

I would wait :)

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2011, 22:08:57 »
I have been harvesting my Maximus since 31 August.  Some are larger than golf balls!!  They taste fine to us.  Maximus are an early variety usually harvesting from September anyway.  So tuck in ;)
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

queenbee

• Acre
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2011, 22:11:06 »
I will wait and eat my early cabbages and beans first. Has anyone eaten the tops of sprouts when picking has finished?
Hi I'm from Heywood, Lancashire

gwynnethmary

• Hectare
  • Hartlepool
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2011, 22:30:37 »
Mine tasted Ok on Sunday.

KittyKatt

• Half Acre
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2011, 17:08:22 »
I've been eating mine, as they're just right for eating, and DH says they are delicious (I'm not a real sprout fan, so I can't really comment,  but he's fond of them). I always worry that if I don't eat something when its ready, then something else will come along and eat it instead.
Sprout tops: I don't eat them very much, but DH likes them, and it reminds me of a story about his older brother, who when he was little wouldn't eat cabbage, but would eat sprouts. When the sprouts were finished he ate the sprout tops, as he was told that the tops were "grown up sprouts". A small subterfuge, but it worked!

KittyKatt

star

• Hectare
  • Northampton, sm greenhouse, heated propagator
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2011, 17:15:24 »
Sprout tops are lovely, I did have sprouts in early Sept one year and they were awful.....they were from a supermarket though. I guess it depends on what you like, homegrown are always nicer, and much nicer after a frost.....same as parsnips IMO anyway.

Happy munching! ;D
I was born with nothing and have most of it left.

claybasket

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2011, 17:26:54 »
I like to wait until the frost,same with Swedes ,try frying shredded sprouts with smoked bacon bits its lovely,can't wait ;)

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2011, 22:22:37 »
Planning on waiting with mine a bit, although all the plants are big there aren't a lot of sprouts showing yet..... but they're comiong.... I grew several varieties this year but  planted them into the cage in cropping order....that way I only really have to look at the ones near the main path to work out when to start cropping them....

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal