Author Topic: NAME JUST ONE VEG YOU HAVE DECIDED NOT TO GROW NEXT YEAR AND WHY!  (Read 14744 times)

Aden Roller

• Hectare
  • Sussex near the sea
Re: NAME JUST ONE VEG YOU HAVE DECIDED NOT TO GROW NEXT YEAR AND WHY!
« Reply #20 on: October 02, 2011, 20:33:25 »
"Crystal Lemon" cucumber. It was prickly, small and fiddly.

The taste was OK but growing in the greenhouse is easy and the results better. I grew Crystal Lemon more for interest than anything. It wasn't that interesting.  ::) ;D All those sharp little pointed bits meant I had to peel it first so it wasn't quite the thing to drop in a lunchbox after all..

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
« Reply #21 on: October 02, 2011, 20:46:17 »
Aubergine!!!
Its my third year of trying. This year I managed to grow just one aubergine which was about the size of an egg :-X
Its not worth it :'(

Duke

Agreed... it's not been that bad a summer, I'm drwoning in tomatoes and the peppers and chillis have done well... I had six aubergine plants across 3 varieties and not a single fruit... and i'm not that fond of them anyway.....

chrisc

pumkinlover

« Reply #22 on: October 02, 2011, 21:02:01 »
I advise ( humbly of course) that you all grow everything next year, because next year

IT WILL ALL GROW BETTER!

betula

• Hectare
« Reply #23 on: October 02, 2011, 21:03:46 »
Do I ever need to plant courgette seeds ever again   ??? ;D

elvis2003

• Hectare
« Reply #24 on: October 02, 2011, 21:08:47 »
id like to say we wont be trying aubergines again,or water melons,but being as stubborn as are im sure we will!esp as we still got plenty of seeds.Im also bouyed by the great results I had with parsnips this year(first good year) so will take that as encouragement!
when the going gets tough,the tough go digging

gwynnethmary

• Hectare
  • Hartlepool
« Reply #25 on: October 02, 2011, 21:46:48 »
caulis, calibrese and PFB-all rubbish!

Ruth Rocket

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #26 on: October 02, 2011, 22:01:15 »
Celery for me, I did not realise it was hard to grow, bought the plants on eBay, they have gone very pale and limp and when I checked for pests on google it appears they have 20 to 30 of the blighters!  What is the point!  ......

elvis2003

• Hectare
« Reply #27 on: October 02, 2011, 22:20:53 »
I advise ( humbly of course) that you all grow everything next year, because next year

IT WILL ALL GROW BETTER!
good luck one and all!heres to a brill 2012!

gavinjconway

• Hectare
    • GavinConway.net - Our Allotment
« Reply #28 on: October 02, 2011, 22:23:49 »
Beetroot - I still have 8 jars from 2010 and did another 4 from a poor crop this year...
Now a member of the 10 Ton club.... (over 10 ton per acre)    2013  harvested 588 Kg from 165 sq mt..      see my web blog at...  http://www.gavinconway.net

Aunty Mavis

• Not So New ...
« Reply #29 on: October 02, 2011, 22:46:41 »
French beans
The runner beans harvested early are so superior that the french beans are a waste of time.
I know a lot of people think runner beans are stringy but that is because they leave them too long.

Aden Roller

• Hectare
  • Sussex near the sea
« Reply #30 on: October 02, 2011, 22:49:00 »
Beetroot - I still have 8 jars from 2010 and did another 4 from a poor crop this year...

I think if I could only grow one thing outside I would choose beetroot. It is so sweet we really look forward to it each year. Cold with salads or hot with a main meal it is wonderful.

djbrenton

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #31 on: October 02, 2011, 22:51:45 »
May I suggest to the aubergine naysayers that you grow them in 10 litre pots on staging in the greenhouse. I get 5 or 6 supernarket sized fruits per plant that way. I've always found it the most reliable greenhouse crop I grow.

Mine for several years has been runner beans. I got fed up of hawking hundredweights around the neighbourhood in an effort to use them up. i think every freezer for miles around gets filled. Now I simply use someone else's surplus up instead .
« Last Edit: October 02, 2011, 22:53:23 by djbrenton »

Stopp

• Half Acre
« Reply #32 on: October 02, 2011, 23:23:20 »
Spring Onions!!   They were fine last year but this year ...... all I got was spindly looking grass which then flopped over and gave up!
Sharon T

tricia

• Hectare
  • Torbay, Devon
« Reply #33 on: October 02, 2011, 23:28:13 »
Definitely no more aubergines. One on staging in GH and two on south-facing terrace in pots. Sowed seed in early January indoors, nursed them into healthy plants and what did I get? Nothing!

Tricia

antipodes

• Hectare
  • W. France, 5m x 20m (900 ft2)
    • My allotment blog
« Reply #34 on: October 03, 2011, 09:41:28 »
Carrots. Once again a complete failure. From 3 sowings I have dug up only now little weedy things that look like thinnings :(  So That's it now, I will use the space for something else and buy a few carrots from the market when I need to.
2012 - Snow in February, non-stop rain till July. Blight and rot are rife. Thieving voles cause strife. But first runner beans and lots of greens. Follow an English allotment in urban France: http://roos-and-camembert.blogspot.com

Melbourne12

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Harrow, Middx
    • Allotmenteering Blog
« Reply #35 on: October 03, 2011, 10:24:25 »
We haven't exactly got a "never again" veg as a result of this year (although a few from poor experiences in previous years!) but we've decided to phase out our autumn raspberries in favour of summer fruiting ones.  The taste just isn't as delectable.

We're also going to grow more of the tomatoes that we know will prosper and that we enjoy, and fewer exotic varieties that inevitably fail.  Also we'll be avoiding anything described by a certain well-known seedsman as "the sweetest, most flavourful, and most prolific" tomato ever created.   ;D

elvis2003

• Hectare
« Reply #36 on: October 03, 2011, 11:46:55 »
May I suggest to the aubergine naysayers that you grow them in 10 litre pots on staging in the greenhouse. I get 5 or 6 supernarket sized fruits per plant that way. I've always found it the most reliable greenhouse crop I grow.

Mine for several years has been runner beans. I got fed up of hawking hundredweights around the neighbourhood in an effort to use them up. i think every freezer for miles around gets filled. Now I simply use someone else's surplus up instead .
I tried that with the aubergines,and some in the ground inside too,plants grew well,flowered,no fruit,will try again!

luckycharlie

• Acre
« Reply #37 on: October 03, 2011, 12:21:27 »

Broad beans. Why?  Because I grow them, look after them, pick them, cook them, serve them and then scrape them off the plates, and bin them!!  We all hate them !!!! ;D ;D ;D

macmac

• Hectare
  • weston super mare
« Reply #38 on: October 03, 2011, 12:47:07 »
onions  :(
we've got white rot,we tried a few in a raised bed and they still got it.
We're are going to try the "garlic tea" thing where you water the bed in the spring to kid the white rot to germinate but as it's only "tea" it dies without a host to live on.
Well that's the plan anyway but what is "the best laid plans..."  :-\
sanity is overated

SMP1704

• Hectare
  • Isleworth, Middlesex
    • Allotment Life
« Reply #39 on: October 03, 2011, 13:01:47 »
I've already given up on main crop spuds and now just concentrate on second earlies.  Now I have the polytunnel I am not going to grow tomatoes outdoors, this is the second year I have had a complete blight wipeout :'(

Also wondering if peas are worth the effort but then I remember how fabulous just podded peas taste and will keep up the war on mice and hot, dry springs ;D

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal