Author Topic: NAME JUST ONE VEG YOU HAVE DECIDED NOT TO GROW NEXT YEAR AND WHY!  (Read 14745 times)

carosanto

• Half Acre
Re: NAME JUST ONE VEG YOU HAVE DECIDED NOT TO GROW NEXT YEAR AND WHY!
« Reply #100 on: October 20, 2011, 17:35:02 »
Sweetcorn.  Year 1 - rained off, year 2 - stunted and cobs not formed, year 3, wonderful cobs, due for picking later that week.  Squirrels or rats got THE WHOLE LOT.  That's right, each cob, leaves, silk and all.  Each succulent tiny little yellow grain .....gone.  I am as devasted as my sweetcorn, and I will never grow them again.

Caro
If you always do what you always did you'll always get what you always got!

Aden Roller

• Hectare
  • Sussex near the sea
« Reply #101 on: October 20, 2011, 23:14:28 »
Sweetcorn.  Year 1 - rained off, year 2 - stunted and cobs not formed, year 3, wonderful cobs, due for picking later that week.  Squirrels or rats got THE WHOLE LOT.  That's right, each cob, leaves, silk and all.  Each succulent tiny little yellow grain .....gone.  I am as devasted as my sweetcorn, and I will never grow them again.

Caro

Really sorry to hear that especially after 3 years waiting for a good crop. I can imagine exactly how you feel.  :(

gwynleg

• Hectare
« Reply #102 on: October 21, 2011, 11:31:48 »
I'm giving up on celery. I just dont have the time to water it as much as it needs and although it appears to grow well the stalks are just too stringy even for cooking.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal