Author Topic: I have a frozen shoulder ...  (Read 6883 times)

GrannieAnnie

• Hectare
  • in Delaware, USA growing zone 6 or 7
Re: I have a frozen shoulder ...
« Reply #40 on: November 01, 2011, 14:25:56 »
I tore my rotator cuff moving a ladder once. Actually felt it pop. Went to my doc who tried injections and said wait.
I waited with a useless arm for almost 6 mo. for things to improve. He finally sent me
 to Orthopedic surgeon who said, "Once a rotator cuff is torn, it is gone and needs surgical repair. To wait is like trying to catch a train after it has left the station. It is impossible." 

It took 3 mo. to heal up after surgery but I was able to go horseback riding that 3rd month out west on a trip we'd planned earlier!

I'm very thankful to have had the surgery and hope you feel the same about two weeks AFTER it is over.

The two best inventions for post-shoulder surgery are 1. the ice-water filled ice pack that fits around the shoulder and is attached to an ice-bucket and 2. a recliner chair with the control on the opposite side from the injured arm. I slept in a recliner for the first week or so since getting in and out of bed was extremely uncomfortable <read that " screaming pain">

Best wishes to you!
The handle on your recliner does not qualify as an exercise machine.

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
« Reply #41 on: November 01, 2011, 17:34:18 »
Really hope they can help you get some relief soon Sam. It has been a long time.

artichoke

• Hectare
« Reply #42 on: November 01, 2011, 18:31:22 »
I am another ex-sufferer. I can spot it a mile off in others: eg they start to pour you a cup of coffee from a small coffee pot, then quickly change hands, having forgotten how painful it is. And they walk rather cautiously, because, as we all know, the slightest clumsy knock leaves us paralysed with pain, mouth silently open, trying not to cry out.

Dr referred me to a physio. I watched carefully what she did and after two expensive sessions did it for myself (not the electric thingy, of course). One thing she suggested was holding a broom stick in both hands and using the good arm to push the other one around. Mad, impossible movements like stepping over it and bringing it up and down over my head.......

One of the most useful exercises I invented as a result was to throw a rope over a strong curtain pole and attach it to the bad arm and to a foot. Then I tried to relax the arm completely (not easy) and the foot pushed gently down and up to raise and lower the arm fractionally above the movement it could make by itself. The idea was to gently free the mass of muscle that I imagined to be jammed together.

People told me that the worst thing was to hold the arm close to the body, protectively and stiffly. The muscles contract and go rigid. You have to TRY to swing the arm naturally. Hours of walking about trying to swing the bad arm....."The Ministry of Silly Walks" (Monty Python).

The bad news is that I got it in the second shoulder just as the first recovered and had to endure another 2 years of trying to free it. That made about 5 years of misery. I read somewhere that once you have had it, it NEVER returns. I choose to believe that.

It is SO disabling, I agree. Everything you do, from driving to housework to dancing to (in my lucky case) gorilla trecking in Uganda becomes 10 times more complicated and difficult and slow.

In Uganda, the ranger would try to help me up muddy cliffs by yanking on the wrong arm - I had to explain, and he was incredibly kind after that, carrying my backpack and carefully choosing the good arm every time I was struggling.

Throughout those years I was an illustrator, and as a right-handed person, could barely lift the paintbrush, or move it across the table to pick up more paint.

I am very sympathetic to all who have this awful condition, and can only say that it wears off eventually. Even now, when I find myself lifting my arms vertically above my head to remove clothes or to reach for something high up, I think back to the days when this was completely impossible, and am grateful for freedom from pain. Those were dreadful years.

pumkinlover

« Reply #43 on: November 01, 2011, 18:33:25 »
Sorry taking so long Sam, I've been wondering how you went on. I hope you get some  help soon, it's not right that you have had such a long time to put up with this.
Hope you get help to get dressed :D certain items can be a real pain to fasten :o

GrannieAnnie

• Hectare
  • in Delaware, USA growing zone 6 or 7
« Reply #44 on: November 02, 2011, 02:57:47 »
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rotator_cuff_tear
Wikipedia has a really good anatomical diagram and explanation of all the many types of injuries there are to the rotator cuff.  Some injuries are barely noticeable while others will never heal on their own.
The handle on your recliner does not qualify as an exercise machine.

betula

• Hectare
« Reply #45 on: November 02, 2011, 08:11:35 »
Hope you can stick aound Sam.......get well soon :)

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal