Author Topic: Fancy a Seed Swap?  (Read 10044 times)

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
Fancy a Seed Swap?
« on: September 20, 2011, 13:29:57 »
Not sure if anyone is going to be interested in this....

We haven’t had a seed swap for quite a while... a few problems were encountered, parcels going awol etc perhaps putting people off.  I have loved taking part in seed swaps and it seems such a shame for others not to be enjoying them too.

Sooooo I wondered about a virtual mixed seed parcel folk can make requests from?

I’m afraid not quite the same excitement as when postie comes knocking on the door lugging that gert big parcel. But it might just work out.

If you are interested add your name to the thread and I’ll get started on a list of seeds.
Seed Circle site http://seedsaverscircle.org/
My Blog, Mostly Tomato Mania http://mostlytomatomania.blogspot.co.uk/

Stevens706

• Acre
Re: Fancy a Seed Swap?
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2011, 14:18:27 »
Sounds interesting Jayb - please put me down

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2011, 14:31:38 »
... ;D
This is ideal opportunity for those spare seeds that I don't have enough for that many heads like seed saving circle needs.
I keep saying myself 'don't be greedy'..   ...BUT..the little devil in me just wants to "share"... ;)
So...if it goes ahead..count me in! Yohoo..fun ahead!!

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2011, 15:24:32 »
put me down, sounds like a good idea  :)

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2011, 15:29:35 »
Please put me down sounds like a good scheme.

I loved the swap parcel idea but some people did not see it as a swap and put rather less in than they took out.

How are you going to operate it.

Ellen K

• Hectare
  • Loughborough, Leicestershire
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2011, 15:34:14 »
How will it work?  Do we send you our contribution to the parcel with and SAE for what we would like back?  That would be a lot of work for whoever holds the parcel.

But please include me.  

pansy potter

• Half Acre
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2011, 15:45:37 »
I would like to join please
God made rainy days so gardeners could get the housework done

grannyjanny

• PMs
  • Hectare
  • Lives in Cheshire. Light sandy soil. Loves no dig.
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2011, 16:25:15 »
Please may I Miss ;) ;D.

grannyjanny

• PMs
  • Hectare
  • Lives in Cheshire. Light sandy soil. Loves no dig.
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2011, 16:29:03 »
PS I don't have many seeds ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Poolcue

• Half Acre
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2011, 16:41:12 »
I would like to put my name down

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2011, 16:53:22 »
All Welcome  ;D

How will it work? Good question. I’m hoping not too much work as everyone will take turns as if it were travelling around. (I must be bonkers ‘cos I’m thinking of doing something similar with a tomato one maybe November time and possibly a beans and peas in the New year if this works ok  :o)

I’ve got quite a few spare packets to start it off. Some I’ve bought and not used, others I’ve had as freebies, some I’ve been given or are from swaps. I’ll also add in some seeds I’ve saved. I can’t use them all and it’s nice to be able to pass them on to be grown and enjoyed. Some packs are opened others not.

If anyone wants to join in, please be fair to all taking part and only swap viable seeds with a decent date. Make sure seeds are in packets and clearly labelled with variety and sow by date or when saved.

When we have enough people to get it started, I’ll start drawing names for a running order. When we start I’ll probably open a new thread and post a clue to the identity of the first participant and as soon as it is guessed I’ll send them the ‘What’s in the parcel list’, so content is kept a bit of a surprise. Seeds will be a selection all sorts.

What to do?
When it is your turn make your requests and what you are offering on this thread. It is fine if you request 1 or 20+, just try and swap like for like, eg amount of varieties and size of packet.

Send in your seeds with a Stamped Self Addressed envelope (or label and stamps if you want to reuse the one envelope), I‘ll leave it to you to ensure it is large enough with adequate postage for your request (eg peas beans etc will be bulkier and weigh more, if in doubt you can include spare stamps and if not needed they will be returned in your parcel.)

When your envelope is received by me, I’ll update the seed list with your goodies and pop your chosen seeds back in the post to you. I’ll also let you know the name of the next person and it will be up to you to think of a clue  ;D

I’ll keep the parcel topped up if it starts to run low! Hopefully not as it is a swap with new seeds being added.

This swap is open to all forum members, new and old. But hey if you have never posted there’s no rush, I think it would be a shame to make it in your first few posts!

lottie lou

• Hectare
  • Birmingham
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2011, 17:37:17 »
Can I play too - pretty please?

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2011, 18:22:21 »
Sounds great fun.  yes please JayB

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2011, 18:25:59 »
Definitely. While taking out without replacing is clearly out of order, we've also had some complaints which were a bit unrealistic. Not everyone is going to have rare and interesting varieties to put in, so I think  we should accept that some will have to add common commercial varieties. Hopefully everyone involved will be a little more tolerant than some have been in the past!

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2011, 20:41:55 »
In the hat (a new beanie for winter!) waiting to be drawn we have;
Stevens706
Goodlife
Manicscousers
Digeroo
Ellen K
Pansy Potter
Grannyjanny
Poolcue
Lottie Lou
Galina
Robert B

Some good points, and I hope so, Robert. This is meant as a general interest swap, mixed with a bit of fun and sharing. If it is not to someones taste or expectation they don't have to choose anything, they can go shopping instead  ;D  I think it is good to remember we are all on different levels in our gardening evolution! As I said in my previous post be fair and I'll add play nicely  :)

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2011, 21:00:00 »
Said hat  :P

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2011, 21:35:35 »
Whooaa...this post has progressed quickly..I've only been 'away' for couple of hours and names been drawn already.. :o ..no messing about.. ;D Any seeds left in swap..?  ;)
I just have to admire Jayb's determination and energy...or are you short of jobs in lottie?
Anyway..thanks for bringing some excitement here..

luckycharlie

• Acre
« Reply #17 on: September 20, 2011, 21:46:38 »

May I join in too please

X CHAS

Aden Roller

• Hectare
  • Sussex near the sea
« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2011, 00:20:24 »
I'm going to watch (if that's OK) from the sidelines.. Looks very interesting.

Stopp

• Half Acre
« Reply #19 on: September 21, 2011, 01:28:11 »
Can I just donate a few to the seed swap?  Don't want anything in return unless there's something obscure I want to try in the parcel  :P

Got plenty of seeds that will need sowing for 2012/2013 date,  still waiting for an allotment and bulk buy every year in hope  :-[

Sharon T
Sharon T

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal