Author Topic: when to pick apples  (Read 881 times)

adrianhumph

• Acre
  • Camberley, Surrey.
when to pick apples
« on: September 12, 2011, 08:49:49 »
Hi all,
        I have taken off about half of the apples on my Cox`s orange pippen, just to take some of the weight off the branches. There are about another 40 left on which don`t come off even with a good tug, when should I harvest these?

Adrian.

Melbourne12

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Harrow, Middx
    • Allotmenteering Blog
Re: when to pick apples
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2011, 09:55:05 »
With the current weather, it's a difficult one.  We have an Ashmeads Kernel which had a heavy crop, not quite ready.  We picked them yesterday rather than risk them being blown down by the high winds.  They'll ripen indoors.

But we've left the remaining Coxes on the tree, because they really do need a bit longer.

If we do get an Indian summer (though the forecast isn't looking good) it will have been worth leaving them.  But who knows?

goodlife

• Hectare
Re: when to pick apples
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2011, 10:13:25 »
Generally you would pick apples when by resting them in your palm and with little lift & twist movement they come off easily. That don't mean they are ready to eat..but many varieties still need bit of storage before they sweeten up and acidity settle down.  Cox's are like that...so if even with good tug they don't 'give up'..they won't come down by the wind neither...I would give them another week and try again.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal