Author Topic: Is it ok to reuse pickling vinegar?  (Read 18136 times)

Alex133

• Acre
  • Salisbury, Wiltshire
Is it ok to reuse pickling vinegar?
« on: September 08, 2011, 07:04:47 »
This may sound a bit tight but after finishing pickled beetroot loads of vinegar left. Can this be reused for next load or for chutney etc?

Melbourne12

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Harrow, Middx
    • Allotmenteering Blog
Re: Is it ok to reuse pickling vinegar?
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2011, 07:11:14 »
I think the problem you might have is the reduced acidity of the old vinegar, plus the risk of cultivating lactobacillus spoilage organisms which might have entered the open jar.

But I agree that it does seem a shame just to tip it away.

Hector

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2011, 07:49:58 »
I wonder if you could recycle it for cleaning purposes i the house?
http://www.vinegartips.com/scripts/pageViewSec.asp?id=7
Jackie

Alex133

• Acre
  • Salisbury, Wiltshire
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2011, 10:32:49 »
Thanks for views - that vinegar site is good and have saved for future ref but think my now purple variety not well suited to some of the cleaning ideas!
Think I'm going to risk using in chutney. It will be boiled so any nasties will probably be killed, and sugar as well so not totally dependent on vinegar for preserving.

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2011, 10:46:32 »
You can reuse it for 'refrigerator pickles', but as the name implies, these are made and then stay in the fridge and get eaten within weeks.

One easy, 'cheat's pickle' uses cucumber slices, brined with a couple of table spoons of salt in a large bowl, topped with ice cubes, covered with an upturned plate.  After 3 hours, wash, then drain cucumber slices very well and place them in jars and top with the old pickling vinegar.  Slices must be covered by the solution.  After 3 days in the fridge, the 'cheat's pickled cucumber' is ready to eat.

pg

• Acre
    • Freelance wine writer
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2011, 12:01:37 »
I always use any left-over vinegar from pickles on chips. Always adds an extra fruity flavour which you don't get from plain Sarsons.

gazza1960

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2011, 12:02:38 »
what a great idea for uneaten cues Galina,Ill have to try that....although I dont have any old vin knocking about
I guess Cues in a Gherkin style rec might work just as well.

I have 3 left over cues in the fridge from the plot.Im gonna pickle em ala your suggestion but using
the Tursu style and see how they taste compaired to the Gherkins that ive  traditionally grown and used.

http://www.turkishfoodandrecipes.com/2008/12/pickle-tursu.html

Thanks

Gazza

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2011, 13:18:29 »
For pickling - as opposed to chutney - the key is that the water content should be boiled off - otherwise the effectiveness of the vinegar is reduced.

Alex133

• Acre
  • Salisbury, Wiltshire
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2011, 16:27:58 »
Afraid I've made the chutney now and can't possibly keep it in fridge as full of my damson jam which turned out as a sauce - hope I don't keel over when eating but will resist giving away as a 'present'  :)

gazza1960

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2011, 17:55:34 »
you best trade it alex133,me and jude are often using your town as a thru way to Weymouth,Ill have to trade you a Beetroot chutney....or maybe a ....Red Onion relish...I dunno must be summit we can trade for a jar of your Damson sauce/jam....just leave it on a little "honesty" table out front and Ill leave our goodies in exchange.

Gazza   :D

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2011, 18:47:36 »
You shouldn't as there is no way of know precisely what the acid contet is any longer but you can use it in sweet and sour pork sauce..it gives a nice acid zing and a beautiful colour,you will need to add the sweetness to the recipe, play around with it a bit, but this is how I use mine.

XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal