Author Topic: Winter Brassicas, Advice needed please.  (Read 1284 times)

carbonel11

• Half Acre
Winter Brassicas, Advice needed please.
« on: August 25, 2011, 11:04:02 »
Hoping for some advice on the suject of winter cabbage , cauli etc. I have been offered some plants by a friend and do have some space coming through. Would be fantastic to extend my growing season but honestly can't see these plants putting on enough growth before the days draw in. Will they actually produce anything or just sit and sulk because they should have been put in ages ago?

Bugloss2009

• Hectare
Re: Winter Brassicas, Advice needed please.
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2011, 11:30:19 »
of the brassicas i planted very late, the curly kale is romping away, the cavolo nero is perfectly fine, and the PSB will just sit there I think.

in a way you've almost got nothing to lose, except for perhaps messing up any rotation you use, or encouraging brassica diseases, for no good reason (if they come to nothing)

you're probably in the hands of the weather also- you'll have a better chance of getting something it the autumn is warm and wet

Aden Roller

• Hectare
  • Sussex near the sea
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2011, 12:29:42 »
If you have the plants and the space plonk them in.

It is a bit late but where abouts you are in the country (north / south) will make a difference. You've little to lose apart from the effort so give it a try. I would.  ;)

Good luck.  :)

Alex133

• Acre
  • Salisbury, Wiltshire
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2011, 13:25:09 »
Agree worth a try if you've got space - they may provide useful bit of greenery in the lean early spring months.

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2011, 13:33:21 »
I found keeping late planted ones covered with debris netting throughout gave a little extra protection and perhaps a little mini micro climate helping them make the most of growing.
Seed Circle site http://seedsaverscircle.org/
My Blog, Mostly Tomato Mania http://mostlytomatomania.blogspot.co.uk/

carbonel11

• Half Acre
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2011, 17:06:23 »
I found keeping late planted ones covered with debris netting throughout gave a little extra protection and perhaps a little mini micro climate helping them make the most of growing.

Thanks to all, I'll give it a go. Jayb can I ask what the flower in your profile pic is ?

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2011, 19:58:52 »
If they don't grow in time for winter, they'll grow in the spring. Go ahead and plant them.

boydzfish

• Half Acre
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2011, 20:30:02 »
Just planted some myself, got them as plants from Dobies - Winter collection. Just put them in the place where the season's cabbages etc were see what happens. Only drawback was they had run out of caulis so I have green, purple and white sprouting!!
Boydzfish

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2011, 20:43:54 »
Thanks to all, I'll give it a go. Jayb can I ask what the flower in your profile pic is ?

They are potatoes, Cocoon Khuchi. I grew them form tps this year and they have been flowering for ages such an unexpected treat, in the background are Skagit Magic which are a joy also. I think they are real beauties  ;D

Good luck with your winter cabbages etc.
Seed Circle site http://seedsaverscircle.org/
My Blog, Mostly Tomato Mania http://mostlytomatomania.blogspot.co.uk/

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal