Author Topic: sowing carrots now?  (Read 1259 times)

hippydave

• Hectare
  • Retford. Notts
sowing carrots now?
« on: August 24, 2011, 16:38:19 »
I would like to put in some more carrots this week, am I too late to do that, I have fleece to cover them but the days are getting shorter and I don't to waste my time and seed for little or no return.

Cheers Dave.
you may be a king or a little street sweeper but sooner or later you dance with de reaper.

goodlife

• Hectare
Re: sowing carrots now?
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2011, 17:14:15 »
You might still have a good chance with short stumpy type carrots..particularly if you would sow into buckets and if the weather would turn cold early you could perharps bring them in or move into sheltered position.
But for 'normal' type carrots it is too late for outdoor crops...unless you like them small.

Chrispy

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2011, 19:19:08 »
I have a packet of Nantes Frubund. They are for sowing in the autumn to give a spring crop.

Have not tried them before so don't know how good they are but I will be trying them in containers this autumn (I have given up trying to grow a good carrot on my plot).

If there's nothing wrong with me, maybe there's something wrong with the universe!

pumkinlover

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2011, 19:33:05 »
I've had them recomended to me but the last winter put paid to my attempt. Also I think I sowed them too late, so will do them earlier this year.

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2011, 20:11:48 »
I have found Autumn King have done ok, under fleece, if sown before September... and it stays reasonable until the end of October...
I've had good results with Frubund too...  :)

Aden Roller

• Hectare
  • Sussex near the sea
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2011, 22:03:20 »
I sowed a couple of rows of autumn king two weeks ago. They are up.

In the past I have left Autumn King in the ground for use right through the winter with no protection at all. I guess it makes a difference which part of the world you're in.

Down south they survive the frost, snow and ice to give a very well flavoured carrot right through to the end of February after which the core becomes too tough.

carosanto

• Half Acre
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2011, 16:48:17 »
Thompson and Morgan are offering Nantes Frubund at £2.19 per pkt.  Going to try some myself in a large container at home.  Would be really interested to know ho anyone else gets on with them.

Thanks
If you always do what you always did you'll always get what you always got!

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2011, 17:26:01 »
I'd go for something you can grow in a big pot, Nantes Frubund as mentioned above seems successful or Amsteradm Forcing 9or similar round carrots like Rondo).... I've got som eI put in pots a few weeks ago so that I could bring them in (Eskimo and Nantes) but I've also planted out some Autumn Giants. I've found that carrots are perfectly possible to start in modules, 24 to t atray with a toilet roll pushed into the top of it, they can be sown up to six weeks before the space becomes free making it possible to follow potatoes, peas or broad beans quite easily with a maincrop carrot...

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal