Author Topic: First year for squash  (Read 2671 times)

basrug34

• Not So New ...
First year for squash
« on: August 17, 2011, 15:39:43 »
How do I tell when my squash are ready for picking? At the moment they are about the size of tennis balls.

gavinjconway

• Hectare
    • GavinConway.net - Our Allotment
Re: First year for squash
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2011, 15:47:19 »
What squash are they?... you get a few types of round squash..

Gem or Rolet are ready when they are tennis ball / cricket ball size..
Round Courgette / Zuccini need to be about 10cm diameter.
Winter squash at least 12cm diameter..

These are my prefered sizes and they can get a lot bigger..  
Now a member of the 10 Ton club.... (over 10 ton per acre)    2013  harvested 588 Kg from 165 sq mt..      see my web blog at...  http://www.gavinconway.net

basrug34

• Not So New ...
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2011, 15:54:27 »
No idea what they are as they were given to me to try (should have asked) but thanks for your reply as they are about the size you indicate is the best to harvest.

gavinjconway

• Hectare
    • GavinConway.net - Our Allotment
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2011, 16:38:35 »
Just try one and if it tastes ok... then you know they are ready... look on google images for squash to try to find yours... let me know the outcome..
Now a member of the 10 Ton club.... (over 10 ton per acre)    2013  harvested 588 Kg from 165 sq mt..      see my web blog at...  http://www.gavinconway.net

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2011, 19:06:01 »
Can you post a picture.

Did the person who gave you them call them squash or zuchinni.. if squash I would think they bare winter squash I found in the UK MOST folks called summer squash zuchinni..

Is it a bush or is it sending out long vines.

What is the exact shape of the fruit, is there any sign of pattern on it

How many fruit..if it a winter you don't want to be picking it , you will only get a few , if it is a summer you will get loads.

Another detective mystery, we usually do OK by process of elimination LOL

XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

PeterVV

• Half Acre
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2011, 18:59:57 »
I AM IN THE SAME POSITION WITH MY SUMMER SQUASH "SUNSHINE", i HAVE LOADS OF TINY ROUND ONES, AND 1 LARGER ( ABOUT THE SIZE OF A GRAPEFRUIT ) WHICH IS A WIERD SHAPE, SORT OF LIKE A VERY FAT LEMON!

bikegirllisa

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2011, 19:03:38 »
Pick them now Peter - I grew up in South Africa, and this kind of squash is called a pattypan there.  They taste best when they're small - really sweet.

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2011, 19:55:07 »
Absolutely agree leaving summer squash to get big is a mistake, they don't taste as good and remember they don't keep.It is only the winter squash that you leave as long as possible, even till the plant dies off if need be, as long as you grab them before the winter frost arrives.

XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

PeterVV

• Half Acre
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2011, 21:02:22 »
Most of them are only tennis ball size, and dont look like paytty pan with the scallopped edges, these are all oval?

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2011, 21:59:44 »
Peter sorry I didn't fully read the post and answered as if for summer squash generally.

Sunburst is a yellow pattypan, Sunshine is a winter squash, a kabocha type,, follow the tips I have said above for winter squash, but to add to that, leave it in the vine as long as you can, it still has a lot of growing to do. The plant will come to a natural  end either by frost or by powdery mildew. If mildew gets it, the plant will stop  growing , the fruit will ripen will start to cure in the field if mature enough. If you get  a frost warning you can cover your plants if it is mild but if a good frost then pick the fruit ASAP.

After harvesting wipe them down with a mild solution of bleach and water , this will kill any mildew spores on them, leave the handle on and don't pick them up by it,taking it off allows bacteria in. let them cure in a warm place, not hot, after a week or so try putting your finger nail in the rind, if you can't then they are cured, if you can, leave them to cure a bit longer. When the rind no longer leaves an imprint store then in a cool place where frost won't get to them, not on concrete, they will store several months but check them regularly, if any sign of softness use them straight away. If you have immature fruit on the vine when you have to pull them use them as summer squash, just like you would courgettes as they will not store. There is mo advantage to pulling them now, they have the best flavour after curing  and storing a while as they get sweeter.

Please get back to me if I can help any further.

Sunshine on the left, Sunburst on the right

XX Jeannine
« Last Edit: August 18, 2011, 22:09:57 by Jeannine »

basrug34

• Not So New ...
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2011, 15:00:51 »
What a great lot of advice. I saw the person who gave them to me and he believed they were called Gem.
I will pick one this weekend and give it a go. Thanks again for all the advice much appreciated.

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2011, 18:04:42 »
Gem is a dual purpose squash, one of the few that can be used either way. You can use it as a summer squash or leave it to mature further and store it as a winter one..South African also known as  Rolet.

XX Jeannine

• Hectare
  • And all that ..... in Hastings
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2011, 19:50:51 »
ooo if they are Gem then I love them  :)
I cook them whole in boiling water for about 20 to 30 minutes, but 1st you need to pierce them (I stab them a few times with a skewer), then when cooked slice the top off, carefully scoop the seeds out then add a nob of butter, black pepper, and eat them like that. Simples  ;D

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2011, 20:15:31 »
hungry now...

Dont throw out the seed you might be able to save them for next year or you can roast them YUM

PeterVV

• Half Acre
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2011, 21:27:41 »
Sorry to be a pain, but I picked the first of my summer squash today, it is nothing like either photograph, it is bright yellow with faint white stripes, a lot bigger than the patty pan types, but not as big as a pumpkin?, maybe I picked it too soon, would it have turned orange?

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2011, 22:07:23 »
You are not a pain..

I think you have picked an immature Sunshine. The colour changes  dramatically with most winter squash as they mature and if you look closely at the pictures I showed you will see faint stripes.

Mature Sunshine will grow to 3-5 lbs.

3/4 fruit per plant.

The vine should be vigorous but short, not a bush but not long like a pumpkin.

XX Jeannine

PeterVV

• Half Acre
« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2011, 22:12:58 »
It is a pumpkin sized bush with a long runner ( about 5 foot long ) that I have wrapped around to save room. All the other fruits are no larger than a tennis ball. I have had very few male flowers on this bush. I have a feeling that this is some sort of hybrid that you can pick the young fruits as a summer squash, or leave them to turn into small pumpkins?

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2011, 22:21:28 »
No, that is a contradiction.
 A pumpkin can easily grow a 30 foot vine.
A bush plant grows like a courgette with all the fruit set near the centre.

Sunshine is neither of the above, it puts out a short vine but not the very long ones that most winter squash and pumpkins do.

Sunshine is a hybrid.

If it is Sunshine it is not a dual purpose squash.

Gem (Rolet) is, but there a very very few dual purpose squash, very few.

After growing squash for  about 40 years and a collection of about 300 varieties I only know of a about 4 or 5.

XX Jeannine

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2011, 16:42:00 »
Back to my query, Jeannine - this is now the thing in question.

Not a lot like the packet!

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #19 on: August 20, 2011, 16:59:31 »
Tim me Darling, I cannot find your query..is it in another thread,,sorry..help XX Jeannine

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal