Author Topic: First year for squash  (Read 2675 times)

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
Re: First year for squash
« Reply #20 on: August 20, 2011, 17:17:02 »
Tim is this the same one as the seed packet you posted because they look nothing alike to me. As is sits now it looks like a buttercup type,does it have  a circle at the blossom end  like a large belly button or just a mark where the blossom was and is the shape kind blocky rather than round.

At an immature stage it could be one of several and I would need to see other nagles to make a better guess.

XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #21 on: August 20, 2011, 17:23:33 »

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #22 on: August 20, 2011, 18:25:50 »
Sorry - I switched threads as more appropriate.

Does this help? About 10" diameter so far - & growing!

It's a good walk to the plot!!

Alex133

• Acre
  • Salisbury, Wiltshire
« Reply #23 on: August 20, 2011, 18:39:43 »
Looks very similar to one I'm growing this year called Cha Cha - a buttercup type.

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #24 on: August 20, 2011, 18:42:25 »
Given the size It is not a Buttercup and not a Black Futtsu either,Yokohamo is described as gray,it is a relative of Shireman both Japanese and similar but too big if it is still growing..

I think this may be a wait and see one, the colour should change as it matures.

I could identify the family by stem and leaf shape and texture if you wish which would narrow it down a bit  but frankly right now I can't place it.

Maybe it is just an odd ball one from another country that I don't know. I certainly don't know the name which is unusual and I can't recognise the company logo on the packet either.

Keep in  touch Tim, you have perked my interest,,save seeds..

XX Jeannine

Tim just read your thread again, is the 10 inches all around it , how wide is it.Buttercups grow to about 5 inches, but that wouldn't explain the name.??
« Last Edit: August 20, 2011, 18:46:32 by Jeannine »
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #25 on: August 20, 2011, 18:52:58 »
Diameter - across!

strawberry1

• Hectare
« Reply #26 on: August 20, 2011, 19:24:59 »
my burgess buttercup looks just like that photo

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #27 on: August 20, 2011, 19:27:04 »
yep that is what I thought..There is a  kabocha type that matures to  grey/black/green that is bigger then than usual but it is an odd one and I would doubt that it is grown much in home gardens. It is an interspecies hybrid, a cross between a maxima and moschata species, done in a lab , they are starting to show commercially and I guess they will get more popular as time goes on, but they need a pollinator, which of course you could have in your garden anyway.One is named Tetsukabuto , it seems unlikely but you never know,it does look very similar to your picture is  a kabocha type and grows green with yellow splashes as immature.

XX Jeannine

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal