Author Topic: Olympics  (Read 2403 times)

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
Olympics
« on: August 18, 2011, 17:34:43 »
There is some gossip here about the UK Olympics being  another possible source of trouble after the London riots and am wondering what the general feeling is about the rumours and the Olympics in general.

When the winter ones were here there was a tremendous national pride especially right here in BC where they were,is the general feeling the same over there. We are getting some funny rumours over here and figured you folks are the best ones to ask about what the UK feels.

XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
Re: Olympics
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2011, 17:53:55 »
I dint think that anyone is taking rumours like that too seriously over here.  I certainly ha vent heard anything like that.
We are an odd lot over here and there is no one attitude towards the Olympics.
I wouldn't say we are in the grip of national pride (although a lot of people are very proud) and many are indifferent to it. It isn't really the English way to go all gushy and emotional about it!!
However I feel that as it draws nearer even the most cynical will be drawn in (I include myself) and that it will be a huge source of pride (assuming Boris doesn't do something ...well like he usually does!)
Londoners seem split between two camps - half of us wont to move out of London for two weeks!! 
The stadia look great and are all just about done - there remains questions regarding the legacy of the games and how it will have benefited the locals but I think the games will go well themselves
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

katynewbie

• Hectare
  • Manchester
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2011, 18:27:59 »
Confession: Not interested in sport at all. Having said that, you won't be shocked to hear that I am cynical about it all. The chaos for ordinary Londoners trying to get to work and back does not bear thinking about and I am very doubtful about it bringing any long term benefits.

I live in Manchester and will be very glad to be 200 miles away!

Mr Smith

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2011, 18:41:41 »
I would not worry about the little nuts bags that caused the riots over here, next year with a bit of luck we will have most of them banged up or homeless, my personal view is that if there is any outburst of trouble of any kind it will be something alot more serious than the great English youth playing with matches,

Unwashed

• Hectare
  • Vexatious, moi?
    • Simon on Facebook
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2011, 19:00:27 »
When the winter ones were here there was a tremendous national pride especially right here in BC where they were,is the general feeling the same over there. We are getting some funny rumours over here and figured you folks are the best ones to ask about what the UK feels.
We don't really do pride in the UK, at best we might hope to be quietly relieved not to have embarrased ourselves.
An Agreement of the People for a firm and present peace upon grounds of common right

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2011, 13:22:11 »
I'd be more concerned about terrorist attacks than rioters but assume there will be plenty of inteligence either way and no real problems.    Since Munich, all Olympic Games events have had to have such counter measures in place.

That said, I'm seriously glad I don't live in or near london any more and will be very pleased when the whole thing is over - deeply cynical about drugs, politics and corruption in sports and especially the Olympics and FIFA and other such bodies.  I'm also deeply cynical about transport chaos, over priced food and lodgings and all the rest of the hoo-hah that goes with the territory.

I'm planning to fix up a decent TV in another room so OH can have two weeks or whatever of his sports fix while I stay sane with proper TV and DVDs and my garden and some books.
Obxx - Vendée France

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2011, 13:50:55 »
A lot of people who started the riots will still very conveneintly be in jail.   

I expect we will all do our bit and get excited in due course.  At the moment i'm still gobsmacked that they have managed to finish most of the venues with a year to do.

My OH enjoyed the beach volleyball at the last olympics.   ;D

It is nice to hear that any Londoners will still have any work that they are trying to get to.

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2011, 16:18:21 »
I think further away from London you live less you care about Olympics..pride ???..nothing to proud of..there is so little benefit for rest of the UK from these games nor there is opportunity to get to see them.. ::) People around here are not even talking about them.
As for any rumours....haven't heard nothing..riots are 'old news' too..
Its going to be few weeks of 'no telly' time when games are on.. ::)..should get some work done then.. ;D

Mr Smith

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2011, 21:03:43 »
I think further away from London you live less you care about Olympics..pride ???..nothing to proud of..there is so little benefit for rest of the UK from these games nor there is opportunity to get to see them.. ::) People around here are not even talking about them.
As for any rumours....haven't heard nothing..riots are 'old news' too..
Its going to be few weeks of 'no telly' time when games are on.. ::)..should get some work done then.. ;D
  What a negative responce get off your arse and get down there from Notts you can do it in the day like me next year,  I might not be able to get the tickets I want for the finals of my sports but I will be at one of the weightlifting rounds and one of the Boxing events, for gods sake get behind the Olympics and lets go 'Englandddddddddddd',   

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2011, 21:15:20 »
I have been quite surprised to read there is no pride , or very little, in the UK.I seem to remember such a lot years ago.. specifically the I"m Backing Britain campaign  when it seemed so many folks got behind the country when in a tight spot.I still have a tea Towel!!    Or wartime Britain.

It is a long time ago but it was there then for sure so what has happened. I find this strange.

XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2011, 21:48:50 »
I'm not often feeling so negative for big events but from start with these Olympic plans have been just sham. It was advertised as 'people's games'.. ::)
Their budget that was first reported (which even with my mind was too small) was blown out of proportions several times.. ::) They bulldozed old allotment site away to make room for the Olympic village..when there was perfectly acceptable way of preserving and even making it better..and something interesting for tourist to see...truly English thing. In one village they are going to fence of the village park to stop people to see the view to sea where is sailing competitions taking place..instead they are having to buy a ticket to their own beach.. ::)..none of the money benefit any local charities etc. but it all goes back to the 'mother'..Olympic committee..
I'm sorry..it is just plain rip off which only relatively few benefit.
I take my national bride very differently..and certainly keep money spinning out of it.
Code: [Select]
lets go 'Englandddddddddddd'  ;D..I rather hike on top of high hill in deep of beautiful country side and do that from there.. ;D

• Hectare
  • And all that ..... in Hastings
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2011, 21:23:18 »
well, I have tickets, and am looking forward to it. The Torch will pass through Hastings and I'm sure we'll be there somewhere on the prom cheering it on.

Other than that, 1 thing I learnt this week was that in the park itself they have planted a 120ft (?) edible hedge - blackberries, gooegos etc. Now that is what I call legacy  :)

gordonsveg

• Acre
  • 68 years old ,
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2011, 15:45:00 »
For a country that is in the financial mess we are in.having the olympics is stupid it will just put us deeper in debt.All this just to satisfy the egos of a few has been athletes and politicos.
   As for the olympics lottery draws, i wonder how much was returned as prizes? ??? ???

Robert_S

• Not So New ...
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2011, 08:35:37 »
I suspect more people would be getting excited about it if it was the World Cup coming to England. And it wouldn't be costing as much.

As for national pride? Be proud of your country if it does something good, sure. Be proud of your country just because it has been chosen to stage a sporting event?  :-X :-X

pumkinlover

« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2011, 08:49:40 »
Well we have just watched some of the warm up events and that's it I am going to ask for two weeks holiday and I am going to ENJOY and celebrate the hard work and heartache that the atheletes go through to get there.
x Anne

artichoke

• Hectare
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2011, 09:31:40 »
I deeply resent the way they destroyed that allotment and the lovely community within it, and shoved them off to a horrible marsh that kept flooding, when as Goodlife says, they could have made an interesting and "green" feature of it. I signed petitions, wrote to MPs, there was a huge movement to keep the allotment and treasure it, but they just bulldozed it. That ruined the Olympics for me.

http://www.britishgardens.co.uk/british-gardens/manor-gardens-allotments-vs-olympics-2012/

http://www.guardian.co.uk/theobserver/2007/apr/08/features.magazine37

http://www.troikaeditions.co.uk/photographs/hut-6-manor-garden-allotments

pumkinlover

« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2011, 18:14:29 »
Yes I agree it was terrible and unnecessary to destroy the allotment site.
I remember watching the programme about it on telly, and I so felt for the secretary.
She was doing her absolute best and seemed to be getting so much grief from some of the plot holders she was trying to help ??? ??? ???

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal