Author Topic: Best month/day to have a fund-raising event?  (Read 1315 times)

Squash64

• Hectare
    • Walsall Road Allotments
Best month/day to have a fund-raising event?
« on: August 23, 2011, 17:58:11 »
We've always had our Summer Fayre on a Saturday in August but because we didn't get many visitors this year we are considering changing it to a Sunday, maybe at the beginning of September.

Anyone have any views on when is the best time?
Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham

allotment website:-
www.growit.btck.co.uk

pumkinlover

Re: Best month/day to have a fund-raising event?
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2011, 18:04:14 »
We have ours on the first Sunday in September, as most people are back from summer holidays by then.
Most of the active people doing the open day/show are still working so we have it to suit them.

Squash64

• Hectare
    • Walsall Road Allotments
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2011, 18:24:27 »
We have ours on the first Sunday in September, as most people are back from summer holidays by then.
Most of the active people doing the open day/show are still working so we have it to suit them.

I was thinking of the first Sunday in September too but one of our team says that there won't be many flowers or vegetables then.  I don't think that would be the case, would it?
Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham

allotment website:-
www.growit.btck.co.uk

pumkinlover

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2011, 18:29:27 »
We seem to do ok, in fact this year some things are so late it may be an advantage.

I won't be able to come to your day though :( if you move to that sunday

The bank holiday weekend is not really that good so if you move later it is really the obvious one to go for.

Like you say talk to everyone involved and get the consensus.

Alex133

• Acre
  • Salisbury, Wiltshire
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2011, 18:41:16 »
Might be my imagination but think weather's often better in September - rain's the real turn off for those sort of things. Also, most people are back from hols then and there's less competition from other events.

lavenderlux

• Acre
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2011, 19:54:40 »
For our site, the best time to have an open day /fund raising is a Saturday afternoon 2-4pm at the end of June.  Most people haven't gone on holiday, the plots look good and there's usually 'produce' available - gooseberries are a very good seller with us

We did try a Saturday in 'National Allotment week' - ie August but it was less successful than the June open days

rosebud

• Hectare
    • allotments4all
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2011, 23:52:33 »
 I think if you look around to see who else maybe having a fundraising event ie bazaar or bootsale etc:, & do your one around that it may help we used to do our DR`s fundraising like that every year because there are so many going on from June till October end of June or 1st week in July are very good times.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal