Author Topic: When do grass snakes hatch?  (Read 7895 times)

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
When do grass snakes hatch?
« on: August 12, 2011, 18:24:42 »
I have had lots of grass snakes in my compost bin.  There was a large female and several males at one point.  Now there is one small female and several males.  I really want to emply my compost so I can get another batch done before the winter.  But if there are hatching eggs I do not want to disturb them.

claybasket

• Hectare
Re: When do grass snakes hatch?
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2011, 19:00:07 »
thats lovely,don't know nothing about them,ive only got wee mice in mine thats if the allotment cat has n't caught them,i hate to kill anything.

Digeroo

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2011, 19:57:25 »
Everyday there are two or three in there, but there must be more than that because they are different colours and sizers.    I have been adding more to the dalek and that does not seem to bother them.  As soon as I open the top they slither off, but next time I open it they are there again. 

claybasket

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2011, 08:26:03 »
hi according to the net(just put in grass snakes) the eggare hatching think they will leave home soon,then you can have your compost .

Digeroo

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2011, 08:53:47 »
My problem is I have no idea if there are any eggs.  So unless I happen to see some little ones I will not know.  I am not sure of there is much chance of actually seeing them.  I take a tiny peek each day in hope. 

There is a nice video on here
http://www.arkive.org/grass-snake/natrix-natrix/video-09b.html

But is gives very little idea of how big they actually are.  I haven't seen the biggest femaile for sometime now but have found her slough which is huge. 

claybasket

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2011, 17:49:28 »
Nature never stops amazing me, that was a lovely wee video, let us know what happens,Digeroo

Catherine F

• Not So New ...
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2011, 18:39:55 »
I think we may have snakes at our site.  Twice in the last 10 days I have randomly come across half an egg shell.  At first I thought it was from the broken shells I used as slug deterrant, but I knew it was far too big, it was actualy half a shell and I crush mine up when theyre baked.

Also it felt thinner than a chicken egg, never crossed my mind that it might be snakes until I read this thread  :o

Unwashed

• Hectare
  • Vexatious, moi?
    • Simon on Facebook
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2011, 18:56:00 »
Grass snakes will be hatching through September, so you need to leave the compost alone until October.

Reptile eggs are leathery, not like hens eggs.  While eggs like half the size of a hen's egg are likely to be pigeon eggs, and they have a very long breeding seasons so you can see their eggs about almost any time.
An Agreement of the People for a firm and present peace upon grounds of common right

Aden Roller

• Hectare
  • Sussex near the sea
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2011, 23:57:15 »
According to Wikpedia:

"The leathery-skinned eggs are laid in batches of 8–40 in June to July and hatch after about 10 weeks. To survive and hatch the eggs require a temperature of at least 21 °C (70 °F), but preferably 28 °C (82 °F), with high humidity".... so the compost heap makes a great nursery!  ;)

Digeroo

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2011, 07:23:44 »
I have already seen two I am hoping for a nice sunny day to bring them up to the top of the bin.  They are really cute.    My other bin is full of grass clippings and it has now got a large number of round tunnels through the surface which are much too small to be voles so I have high hopes for that one as well.

claybasket

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2011, 07:47:12 »
what do they do when the wether starts getting cold ,is that the new home?

Aden Roller

• Hectare
  • Sussex near the sea
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2011, 08:36:27 »
what do they do when the wether starts getting cold ,is that the new home?

Eventually they hibernate - under rocks, in the ground or under any sort of cover where they are unlikely to be disturbed.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal