Author Topic: Riots in north London  (Read 39705 times)

grannyjanny

• PMs
  • Hectare
  • Lives in Cheshire. Light sandy soil. Loves no dig.
Re: Riots in north London
« Reply #80 on: August 09, 2011, 14:33:04 »
I heard on the news today that they will be brought to court & sentenced quickly. Does that mean prison closures will be put on hold. The justice dept faces a 23% cut................

SamLouise

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #81 on: August 09, 2011, 14:42:29 »
Their sentencing should include helping to clear up and rebuild some of the damage they've done.  Let them learn first hand what it's like to make something from scratch and have it destroyed by morons like them.

plainleaf

• Hectare
« Reply #82 on: August 09, 2011, 14:44:58 »
sorry guys but previous goverment spending and welfare is what caused problems in first place.
the solution is making the unemployed and young work for living thus that means making the UK job friendly which mean tax system need to be reformed.
Ps if want deal with the rioters I suggest you put Joe" Arpaio in charge of prison system.
psps parliament has been recalled !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #83 on: August 09, 2011, 15:09:37 »
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

peanuts

• Hectare
« Reply #84 on: August 09, 2011, 15:41:58 »
Thank you so much, Barriedalenick, for the link.  We've been following all the reports from where we live in SW France, with horror, sadness and despair, and deep concern for all those involved, and the police/firemen/ambulancemen who are doing their job with extreme difficulty.  Reading this report was hugelyu uplifting and encouraging.
And I care deeply for your fears, Deb, when your daughter was trying to get home and was so frightened. I understand that so well as a mother of a 31 yr old daughter.
Peanuts

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #85 on: August 09, 2011, 16:05:45 »
Well it finally hit our news screen last night, the pictures we saw were of a burning building which looked out of control to me, looked like the war time films, Mood was one of disbelief and uncertainty about the safety of the Olympics was discussed.

Deb, thank God your daughter is safe.

From the bit I am reading it is giving the impression here that it is breaking out all over now.

XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

Melbourne12

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Harrow, Middx
    • Allotmenteering Blog
« Reply #86 on: August 09, 2011, 19:58:52 »
I heard on the news today that they will be brought to court & sentenced quickly. Does that mean prison closures will be put on hold. The justice dept faces a 23% cut................

I just spoke with a friend who is a magistrate.  Apparently the first tranche of prosecutions came up today.  They mostly pleaded guilty, in the hope of a discharge or minor slap on the wrist.  All were referred to higher courts, on the grounds that the magistrates' powers of sentencing were inadequate.  Mags can dish out a year's imprisonment for these offences, so it suggests that the riots will indeed be taken seriously.

I seem to remember that after the Southall riots, some offenders were given 10 years, much to their horror and that of their families.  But no amount of political lobbying made any difference, and they had to serve their time.  Well, half of it, anyway.

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #87 on: August 09, 2011, 20:33:26 »
The Sony centre is 15 min walk from my house and 5 min from work, I saw the smoke billowing out as I walked to work this morning its still smoking now.
A group of vigilantes have gathered at a pub on the high road, they are on the march now, people have had enough, its going to be a long night.   :-\
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

Nigel B

• Hectare
« Reply #88 on: August 09, 2011, 21:09:01 »

I just spoke with a friend who is a magistrate.  Apparently the first tranche of prosecutions came up today.  They mostly pleaded guilty, in the hope of a discharge or minor slap on the wrist.  All were referred to higher courts, on the grounds that the magistrates' powers of sentencing were inadequate.  Mags can dish out a year's imprisonment for these offences, so it suggests that the riots will indeed be taken seriously.

I seem to remember that after the Southall riots, some offenders were given 10 years, much to their horror and that of their families.  But no amount of political lobbying made any difference, and they had to serve their time.  Well, half of it, anyway.

Being sent to Crown does not guarantee a heavier sentence. Crown Courts also have 'not guilty' options, and use it often!
"Carry on therefore with your good work.  Do not rest on your spades, except for those brief periods which are every gardeners privilege."

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #89 on: August 09, 2011, 21:23:30 »
I know of someone referred to a County Court for ABH for a higher sentence and he was expected to get a prison sentence and ended up with a community service order. 

The victim was well upset.

artichoke

• Hectare
« Reply #90 on: August 09, 2011, 21:28:08 »
I was in central and south London last night, picking up one grandson from Stansted Airport, and another from Woolwich. I am so grateful that we are all back safely in East Sussex.

My daughter today, a hospital consultant in a Woolwich hospital, was called back to her nursery to rescue her 1 yr old and 4 yr old to her house, on her bicycle, because the police had advised the nursery to close at mid-day.

Apparently the rioters were arranging to attack her area at 3pm, via various social networks.

She serves seriously ill people who have cancers that she can help - but what can she do when her own children are threatened?

Who on earth are these young, strong,angry people whose lives have been saved by my own parents (2nd World War).

Unwashed

• Hectare
  • Vexatious, moi?
    • Simon on Facebook
« Reply #91 on: August 09, 2011, 21:32:26 »
I know of someone referred to a County Court for ABH for a higher sentence and he was expected to get a prison sentence and ended up with a community service order. 
The County Court is a civil court, it doesn't hear criminal cases such as ABH.
An Agreement of the People for a firm and present peace upon grounds of common right

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #92 on: August 09, 2011, 21:34:33 »
My mistake should have said Crown Court.

Mr Smith

• Hectare
« Reply #93 on: August 09, 2011, 22:13:58 »

I was working in Southall at the time of the Riots and this old boy remembered the troubled times back in 1928 in Southall, he said if it was'nt the Jocks it was the Irish but it was soon sorted out, they just marched troops up from Hounslow barracks with bayonets fixed,

Melbourne12

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Harrow, Middx
    • Allotmenteering Blog
« Reply #94 on: August 09, 2011, 22:32:03 »

Being sent to Crown does not guarantee a heavier sentence. Crown Courts also have 'not guilty' options, and use it often!

Not after you've already pleaded guilty, they don't.  ;D

Watch, and learn.  We hate civil unrest in England.

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #95 on: August 10, 2011, 05:17:42 »
It looks to have quietened down in London
What a great storey with loads of the community turning up in Clapham ot clear up
 :o
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
British Society today - just about sums it up?
« Reply #96 on: August 10, 2011, 06:03:59 »
The reason the 2 young girls were rioting?

To show the Police that we can do what we want.

But - of course - we will expect immediate & selfless support should we be torched, robbed or raped..................??

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #97 on: August 10, 2011, 06:55:08 »
Might have quietened down for you Kev. I think they have all travelled up here. Our daughter is a nurse and after her long shift she had to walk through Redditch town center to get home She had to walk through a gang of youths who were gathering. She said she was terrrified.Redditch is usually a very quiet place.
When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

betula

• Hectare
« Reply #98 on: August 10, 2011, 07:48:16 »
These people should be made to clear up themselves........... >:(

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands