Author Topic: Caution! Aldi Blueberry bushes not for human consumption!  (Read 19096 times)

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
Re: Caution! Aldi Blueberry bushes not for human consumption!
« Reply #20 on: August 06, 2011, 08:17:44 »
Well we bought some 2 years ago and they have fruited this year. We have eaten them. I think that it must be the plant itself that isn't edible.
When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

brown thumb

• Hectare
« Reply #21 on: August 06, 2011, 08:48:55 »
must be beetroot year hoping to make some wine with the spare has anyone madeit and isit  drinkable  oh ive gone off thread sorry  :-[

irridium

• Acre
« Reply #22 on: August 06, 2011, 09:48:00 »
i bought the blueberry plant to replace the one that i lost from Wilko's (bought early spring) but now i've realised the Aldi ones aren't even labelled as which to which variety they are. Just rang C/S but to find out but they're not available at the w/ends. I think there's only one or two varieties that are self-fertile, so I'll have to buy another variety or two to get this one pollinated - altho' this might not be possible as they all have to be flowering in the same season!

nb. just remember peeps, Blueberries need acidic soil, so plant in a pot if your soil isn't right.

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #23 on: August 06, 2011, 12:40:55 »
Well I have been and bought another 5 plants this morning (total now eight)

Pointed out the information to the deputy manager and she just looked bewildered.

Possibly I put words into her mouth when I suggested that it is the plants that are inedible not the fruit they will eventually produce (hopefully) and she agreed.

Only time will tell!

Plants not quite as good quality as the ones bought yesterday but with a little TLC they should be OK.

They certainly look better than bare rooted specimens I have had in the past!

Will pot them up from 90mm pots  into 150mm diam and grow them on a bit before planting out in a couple of months time!

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #24 on: August 06, 2011, 16:57:12 »
I don't know about the edibilityof the blueberry plant but the leaves of goji can be used to make tea under the name of the Duke of Argyll's tea tree.  

Alex133

• Acre
  • Salisbury, Wiltshire
« Reply #25 on: August 06, 2011, 18:04:10 »
It's got to be the plant itself that isn't edible - the nanny state thinks we are all so stupid we'll eat any old thing unless we're told not to!

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #26 on: August 06, 2011, 19:30:29 »
Most blueberries flower about same time so that is not a problem. If you just get one different variety, that should be enough to sort the pollination. Blueberries do crop without another variety..but the crop is greatly reduced.
I got some lovely big plants from B&Q last summer and they stocked several different kind then. Just be aware that different varieties do grow into very different size bushes..some can grow rather large...so labeled varieties are good idea if they are to go into pots.. ;)

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #27 on: August 07, 2011, 18:16:49 »
Last time I bought a Phalaeonopsis, the label said 'Not for consumption'. I know marsh orchids were eaten at one time, but how many people eat their orchids nowadays?

Fork

• Hectare
  • Amber valley,Derbyshire
« Reply #28 on: August 07, 2011, 19:00:47 »
It actually says "Plant not fit for human consumption"
You can pick your friends, and you can pick your nose, but you can't pick your friends nose

Twoflower

• Hectare
  • Three girls and a cat!!!
« Reply #29 on: August 07, 2011, 19:34:56 »

Have given up on my goji berry too, it's going to get grubbed up this autumn ::)

bikegirllisa

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #30 on: August 07, 2011, 19:52:05 »
I bought a couple of the red gooseberry plants.  I will throw caution to the winds and eat the fruit, should any show up next year. ;D

Vinlander

• Hectare
  • North London - heavy but fertile clay
« Reply #31 on: August 08, 2011, 00:49:29 »
If they are classed as unfit for eating then they are liable for VAT. If they are proper fruit bushes then they are zero-rated.

I can't think of any sensible reason for attracting VAT to something you are trying to sell - unless they charge you VAT and then pocket it...

But it would be a useful confirmation of edibility to check the VAT status.

Cheers.
With a microholding you always get too much or bugger-all. (I'm fed up calling it an allotment garden - it just encourages the tidy-police).

The simple/complex split is more & more important: Simple fertilisers Poor, complex ones Good. Simple (old) poisons predictable, others (new) the opposite.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal