Author Topic: Clover  (Read 1902 times)

luckycharlie

• Acre
Clover
« on: July 21, 2011, 14:50:24 »

Our lawn is covered in clover. We  have used Weed and Feed but this has no effect on it. Any help would be appreciated

X Chas

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
Re: Clover
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2011, 18:24:34 »
So is mine, front and back. I like it- life's too short for perfect lawns! :D

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2011, 19:48:00 »
Weed and feed is not efficient enough to get rid of good quantity of clover..its tough weed to get rid of.
Either you need to get specific lawn weedkiller for it or you need to do repeat applications with feed and weed.
What does the instructions say..is it suppose to tackle clover?
I you do manage to kill the clover..is there much grass left? Often it is better to kill the lot and start again rather than trying selectively kill good amount of lawn weeds.
I actually like seing clover on lawns.. during drought the 'lawn' looks green even if the grass struggles.

luckycharlie

• Acre
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2011, 15:17:13 »

Thank you for the replies. Paid the four grandchildren a 1p a for every flower they picked . Cost so far £4.50 ;D ;D. Kept them busy for ages and it doesn't look to bad either. Off to corner shop for toffee ;D ;D Should be fun paid them in 1p coins ;D ;D ;D

X Chas

Poppy Mole

• Hectare
  • Petworth, West Sussex
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2011, 15:25:36 »
I like clover on my lawn it's much softer than grass to walk on in bare feet. Did you turn the clover flowers into wine???

luckycharlie

• Acre
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2011, 17:16:33 »

What?  after a 3,5,6,and 11 year old 's had picked them ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

They were squashed  ;D ;D ;D

X Chas

Kleftiwallah

• Acre
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2011, 17:33:07 »

With that lot I suppose you saw the clover from the bedroom window! ! ! :o  Cheers,   Tony.
" I may be growing old, but I refuse to grow up !"

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2011, 18:53:36 »
Code: [Select]
Paid the four grandchildren a 1p a for every flower they picked   ;D Child labour.. ;D
I hope that was just for little fun..it don't get rid of the clover..but certainly gives you green lawn look.. ;D
Same again next week?..and this time give them scissors so they can cut it while they at it..

lincsyokel2

• Hectare
    • Read my blog at
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2011, 22:48:42 »
You can kill the clover with a broadleaf weed killer, you need one that contains dicamba or MCPP.  However, if there are huge patches of clover, you'll end up withe huge bare patches when it dies, so you have to make a call as to  if its quicker to dig it up and relay it or try and kill the clover and reseed the patches.
Nothing is ever as it seems. With appropriate equations I can prove this.
Read my blog at http://www.freedebate.co.uk/blog/

SIGN THE PETITION: Punish War Remembrance crimes such as vandalising War memorials!!!   -  http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/22356

luckycharlie

• Acre
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2011, 09:46:23 »

To be honest it's DH who is stressed over it, A bit,  well alright a field of clover doesn't really bother me. At the moment though its a completely white lawn. I think lincsyokel2 like you said if we kill it we might have more problems. The lawn at the house I'm not too  bothered about ,but we have noticed a small patch on the lawn at the allotment so would like to get it under control before that is the same.

I'll just keep paying the GC  to clear the back one .

X  Chas

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2011, 10:21:31 »
I've got  bit of lawn on my allotment and I welcome any clover that will appear..good for the compost heap.. ;)...good for atracting bees to you lottie... ;) clover takes 'traffic' better than grass.. ;)..doesn't need as much attention as grass.. ;) clover is nitrogen fixer, so if you anytime should want to return the lawn bit to production, once turned over will release the nutrients back into soil where as grass uses everything up... ;)

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2011, 11:04:29 »
I also like clover, when it is very dry the grass will go brown but the clover stays green.  I like weeds in my lawn, and clover with pink and white flowers is lovely.  I have actually sown the red flowered one on my lottie.  I cannot understand why people should want nothing by green grass.   It does not produce the tall grass flower heads so does not need mowing so often. 

luckycharlie

• Acre
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2011, 11:52:21 »

My Dh is obsessed with his grass!!!  Shame when we have 8 GC playing football on it. I think it's because he is retired and has nothing to do  ;D ;D ;D

I do try to give him lots of jobs to do and I do nag him a lot so really he shouldn't worry about a bit of grass ;D ;D ;D

I must admit it does look nice

Will explain about all the benefits clover gives who knows it might change his mind

X Chas

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2011, 20:08:47 »
If you have clover, it fixes nitrogen, and the grass will grow better as a result.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal