Author Topic: Harvesting Fennel  (Read 761 times)

carosanto

• Half Acre
Harvesting Fennel
« on: June 25, 2011, 01:32:12 »
Hi All

I am sure I have seen a thread on this, but search as I might I can't find it.  My Fennel is quite tall, I have several plants.  What is the best way to harvest, and does harvesting mean that you demolish your plant entirely?

Thanks in advance.

Caro
If you always do what you always did you'll always get what you always got!

goodlife

• Hectare
Re: Harvesting Fennel
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2011, 08:17:00 »
Are you talking veg fennel or the herb?
Veg one that you grow for the 'bulbous' growth at the bottom of the 'stem' you either dig it out or cut it off just under the 'bulbous' bit...with those it is end of that plant...it don't grow no more..
Herb..you pull individual leaves from stalk leaving the main stem at place...and the plant will carry on producing more...herb type fennel is perennial.

carosanto

• Half Acre
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2011, 12:53:15 »
Eek, didn't know there were two types.  This is Bronze Fennel, with wonderful ferny foliage - and a propensity for self seeding all over the herb patch.  I put it in cos I wanted to  try out some recipes and have my own fennel source at hand.

Have I put in the wrong kind?

Caro
If you always do what you always did you'll always get what you always got!

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2011, 13:46:12 »
Code: [Select]
Have I put in the wrong kind? Well it all depends what you wanted it for.
Bronze fennel is used in recipes as any other herb..but the other sort is Florence fennel and it is classified as vegetable...so if you recipe says 'sprinkle' or 'pinch' ..I assume it calls for the herb.. ;D
I've got the bronze one too..and it does self seed itself everywhere..but as it is so ferny it doesn't shade other plants...I just let them be..
Good thing is..'bronze' is perennial..comes year after year...so plenty to harvest.. ;)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal