Author Topic: Potato fork  (Read 5274 times)

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
Potato fork
« on: June 22, 2011, 17:25:26 »
Searched for the thread without success .........help please??

Kleftiwallah

• Acre
Re: Potato fork
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2011, 17:38:04 »

Your message is a bit vague, could we know more?    Cheers,   Tony.
" I may be growing old, but I refuse to grow up !"

Tulipa

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2011, 17:49:15 »
Hi Tim, was it one of these...

http://www.allotments4all.co.uk/smf/index.php/topic,18512.0.html

http://www.allotments4all.co.uk/smf/index.php/topic,16192.0.html

there are others that come up in the search too - nearly gave you the link for this one!

Hope all is ok with you.

T.x

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2011, 18:39:40 »
No, thanks Tulipa - but fun to look back on ones preaching in the olden days!! This was within the last few days.

So - just for fun - herewith a Fork & a Potato digging Fork. They both have pointed tines!!

To me, it is nonsense to talk about not spiking the tubers - you can do that with any tool. It's a question of shovelling up the tubers with the broader blades. If we wanted to prevent spiking the tubers. there would be no need to have blades which are broad all the way up??
« Last Edit: June 22, 2011, 18:44:42 by tim »

powerspade

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2011, 19:55:20 »
I got a Potato fork, I found it in the coal house when I bought my first house. It has a long handle and five broad tines (1inch Wide). It has the original handle which I treat with a little linseed oil at the end of the growing season. It is very good as the wide tines lift the whole potato plant with out any piercing of the tubers

ipt8

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2011, 20:18:25 »
I dont quite follow how this topic started but a potato fork has rounded small balls on the ends of the tines so they do not dig into the spuds.

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2011, 20:49:27 »
The topic started because I asked for help in re-locating a link on forks.

Then to the subject of a potato digging fork (see pic) - previously discussed - as opposed to a potato shovelling fork -  don't know the name of that one with knobs on the ends of the many tines.

There is a ridiculous misconception here - it is said that the broader tines help to prevent damage. So far as I am aware, it is the point of a tine that damages,  never the blade of tine, when lifting potatoes.

So much for the  re-hashing of old gardeners' tales!

dtw

• Hectare
  • What grows, You decide!
    • Classic & Cheesy TV adverts and other funny stuff
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2011, 00:28:07 »
Surely you wouldn't need to spend out money on a special fork if you dig the spuds out properly.
Dig into the side of the row at the bottom of the furrow underneath the plant and you are less likely to hit any potatoes.
If you dig from the end of the row you are more likely to hit a potato.

If special potato forks actually worked, they would be more readily available.

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2011, 10:13:58 »
Fair dinkum!
 Certainly you don't see many around, because any old fork will lift potatoes.  But the point - to me- is that 13mm tines are better than 7mm ones at lifting the tubers without them skidding off.

Now a strange one - got this this am but nothing on the forum............??

"A reply has been posted to a topic you are watching by petemac.
View the reply at: http://www.allotments4all.co.uk/smf/index.php?topic=67911.new;topicseen#new"

antipodes

• Hectare
  • W. France, 5m x 20m (900 ft2)
    • My allotment blog
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2011, 14:28:51 »

Dig into the side of the row at the bottom of the furrow underneath the plant and you are less likely to hit any potatoes.
If you dig from the end of the row you are more likely to hit a potato.

Wow I ALWAYS cut or damage my spuds! Now I see why! I always work down the rows, in fact I shoudl work across them! That could be a very useful piece of advice! (I'll tell you when I dig out the last earlies this weekend!!!)
2012 - Snow in February, non-stop rain till July. Blight and rot are rife. Thieving voles cause strife. But first runner beans and lots of greens. Follow an English allotment in urban France: http://roos-and-camembert.blogspot.com

Alex133

• Acre
  • Salisbury, Wiltshire
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2011, 07:01:09 »
I've got a potato fork with tines and a bar right across the bottom. It's quite good but  like pulling up each plant by hand - brings up majority of potatoes and loosens soil, root around by hand for the rest and finally have a dig for any left over bits. (Used to always manage to spear the best potatoes using normal fork).

artichoke

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2011, 07:17:53 »
In what way is that better than a spade?

davyw1

• Hectare
  • I love My Country
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2011, 13:09:30 »
Does it real matter what you use, if it be a potato fork, garden fork, spade or coal shovel you will still put a hole through or cut a potato in half the only fork that counts is the one that goes with your knife.
When you wake up on a morning say "good morning world" and be grateful

DAVY

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal