Author Topic: Monitors  (Read 2111 times)

antsinmipants

• Quarter Acre
Monitors
« on: June 20, 2011, 18:52:39 »
Do monitors have a shelf life? Or to put it another way,how long can you expect a monitor to last? I bought a PC in 2004,at the time it was top of the range,with state of the art spec. The base unit,printer and surround sound speaker system are still in fine fettle,but the monitor has given up the ghost. I have tried and tried to sort the problem out. The resolution is set correctly,the adjustment is right and basically all default settings are ok,but the monitor keeps on going blank after no more than one minute of use. I think its time for a new monitor,but just wondered if I've overlooked something,the monitor is a Medion and the base unit works on XP. Thank-you for your time.
The night was dark....they usually are!......Laurel & Hardy

vitruvius8

• Quarter Acre
  • Walled Garden, North Wales
Re: Monitors
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2011, 18:57:25 »
Hi, Well i think you have a good run with that monitor, But, it could be the monitor or it could be the graphics card in the PC. I would suggest you get it checked by a compitant engineer or substitute the monitor and see if it is fine then.

antsinmipants

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2011, 19:20:21 »
Hi, Well i think you have a good run with that monitor, But, it could be the monitor or it could be the graphics card in the PC. I would suggest you get it checked by a compitant engineer or substitute the monitor and see if it is fine then.

Thanks for your reply. Yeah,the graphics card has been looked at and that is fine. Like you say,I have had a good run with the mointor,so I guess its time for another one. Thanks again :)

Bugloss2009

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2011, 21:37:13 »
if you're happy with an old style monitor, try freecycle. They couldn't give them away fast enough when I wanted one. In fact I got two whoppers

Bugloss2009

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2011, 21:39:12 »
actually now I use the TV as a monitor

Chrispy

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2011, 22:16:58 »
Does it just go black? If so then have a close look and see if there seems to still be an image in the blackness, shining a light on it might help.

If so, then it is the backlights switching off, probably due to a faulty power supply.

Is it worth getting repaired? Don't know, when I had a similar fault it cost me 80p for a couple of capacitors from maplin, but I am a bit handy with a soldering iron, and I have no idea how much a repair shop would charge, too much probably.
If there's nothing wrong with me, maybe there's something wrong with the universe!

boydzfish

• Half Acre
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2011, 22:57:10 »
Check the monitor on a mate's PC. You don't say if it is a flat screen or CRT (Presume, given the age it is old CRT) if so the last thing you want to do is poke around inside if you don't know what you are doing. These old monitors have capacitors that would give you a good belt if you fiddled too much. I would say the monitor has had a good run - time to get another one.
Boydzfish

antsinmipants

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2011, 10:00:57 »
Tried the monitor at a friends (cheers for that idea),but still problems. Its been binned as the suggestion of it having had a good run proved correct. Got another now,so onwards and upwards. Thank you all for your time :)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal