Author Topic: First ever veg  (Read 1159 times)

wardy4

• Not So New ...
First ever veg
« on: June 19, 2011, 11:58:41 »
Just about to get stuck in to my first ever cauliflower, it looks a beauty hope it tastes as good.
Wish me luck

Mr Smith

• Hectare
Re: First ever veg
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2011, 12:15:25 »
And like 'Geoffrey Smith' used to say 'And with my own teeth', enjoy your Caulie, :)

VegBob

• Not So New ...
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2011, 12:46:48 »
Well done, Wardy4! You don't say how you grew them but let's hope it wasn't luck. When I first met my ex I was a vegman and she was, and still is, a flower person. Then she got a job where she had to grow veg and asked my advice. I could help her with most common veg but said that caulies were always a failure for me because they always "blew". Undaunted she planted them really firmly and had great success. Since then I have been able to grow them under various unfavourable conditions. I have no idea what the technical reason is for brassicas needing firm planting but take the advice; beauty, brains and firm planting make for success at least in the garden!
Bob

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2011, 13:06:06 »
Well done.  I managed to grow them last year for the first time.  Found they needed a great deal of TLC. 

Hi_Hoe

• Half Acre
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2011, 14:00:36 »
Well done.
There really is no comparison with shop bought to home grown caulis (as with any veg)!
I grew caulies for the first time last year and they really were something else *blows own trumpet!*.

(the bloody pigeons seem to be liking them this year tho'. Boo!)

Well done you!
If tha does nowt, tha gets nowt. Simple!

antsinmipants

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2011, 20:16:24 »
Well done.
There really is no comparison with shop bought to home grown caulis (as with any veg)!
I grew caulies for the first time last year and they really were something else *blows own trumpet!*.

(the bloody pigeons seem to be liking them this year tho'. Boo!)

Well done you!

I could not agree more with you opening line. There is no comparison :) Well done Wardy4 :) :)
The night was dark....they usually are!......Laurel & Hardy

Barkie

• Not So New ...
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2011, 09:51:40 »
Agree 100%, well done. I've never grown it before so I hope to get as good results.

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2011, 10:02:59 »
Great stuff and with cauliflower too. Took us ages to grow a decent one worth bragging about..We are trying Candid Charm this year and up to now the leaves look great. Problem is that they will all come together.
When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

Stevens706

• Acre
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2011, 12:39:03 »
Mine (each batch) always come together but they freeze well. Had to buy a small chest freezer just for the veg.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal