Author Topic: 4C forecast for Saturday night - Frost?  (Read 4148 times)

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
4C forecast for Saturday night - Frost?
« on: June 08, 2011, 23:47:29 »
Just seen forecast for Saturday.  Could be a 'touch of ground frost'. 

Whatever happened to global warming.  I have experienced a frost 6th June but 11th will be a record for me.

I have spent the last few days planting out beans and I do not have enough fleece.  I shall have to use some old sheets and newspaper.

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
Re: 4C forecast for Saturday night - Frost?
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2011, 23:51:27 »
Metcheck threatened us with snow this last Monday evening... it didn't arrive... so fingers crossed for your beans..  :)

Dandytown

• Hectare
    • Pumpkins Growing Diary
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2011, 09:37:12 »
They must have 'Mystic Meg' from one of those newspapers working for them, writing the weather along with horoscopes.

The weather has cooled recently though and its keeping me from removing a tunnel from my pumpkin.  Being greedy for the warmth  :)

lincsyokel2

• Hectare
    • Read my blog at
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2011, 10:39:53 »
Itll be that bloody icelandic volcano - chucking up ash like that always has an effect on temperatures. The sudden dip will be caused by ash particles high up still settling.

I cant do anything, i dont have a hundred square yards of fleece. It ridiculous.

Last year we had a frost in mid may that dealt a fatal blow to all my spuds ( just as the tops were coming back they got early leaf blight, and that was the end of 250 seed tates).

I dont understand why anyone would want to grow stuff for a living, like farmers do. There are so many things that can go wrong, that you have no control over, its just a lottery. How can you possibly base making a regular income when you are at the vagaries of the wind and nature. They must be mad.

On the other hand, it pays to check several sources to see if they agree, i use:

NETWEATHER

WEATHER.COM

WEATHER UNDERGROUND

and BBC, which i trust the least.

« Last Edit: June 09, 2011, 10:53:10 by lincsyokel2 »
Nothing is ever as it seems. With appropriate equations I can prove this.
Read my blog at http://www.freedebate.co.uk/blog/

SIGN THE PETITION: Punish War Remembrance crimes such as vandalising War memorials!!!   -  http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/22356

Bugloss2009

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2011, 11:35:24 »
4 0C ! same here!

mat

• Hectare
  • Ryedale, North Yorks. Sandy loam, over sandstone
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2011, 12:01:55 »
Well, we had 2.6 degrees a couple of nights ago (between York and Scarborough)

Morris

• Acre
  • This is Morris! North Hampshire
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2011, 13:11:04 »
Aargh we are going on holiday tomorrow, leaving daughters in charge. Not sure if they will cope with requirement to cover half the garden in fleece/plastic, and take it off again.

We are forecast a range from 2.8 to 7 degrees - bother, bother.

Shall have to prioritise, I suppose.
 >:( :'(

Digeroo

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2011, 14:06:46 »
I use the metoffice site.  BBC useless because they seem to use the forecasts from met office the day before. 

Wunderground site even worse says 2C for our area. 

Ellen K

• Hectare
  • Loughborough, Leicestershire
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2011, 14:27:41 »
^^ Digeroo, you have posted before about observing a frost in June but, when plants are a good size, unless it is a very hard frost, plants are just a bit singed rather that burnt to the ground?  Maybe? 

(sorry, sophomore allotmenteer here, hoping for the best).

Morris

• Acre
  • This is Morris! North Hampshire
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2011, 14:42:19 »
I use the metoffice site.  BBC useless because they seem to use the forecasts from met office the day before. 

Wunderground site even worse says 2C for our area. 

That makes sense. I switched to metoffice from BBC because I noticed it was so unreliable but couldn't understand why that should be so as they use the same data. Now I know!

Wunderground is worst forecast for us as well.

Am hoping Denbyvisitor is right, as I just can't fleece everything.

Digeroo

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2011, 17:44:35 »
The June frost of which I speak was a total devastation all round.  So many people bought replacement packets of runner beans that you could not get one anywhere.

The forecast temperature keeps on changing.  The rain forecast for Saturday has now changed to hail showers. ???  Don't they know we are still desperate for rain.  Friday night forecast temp gone down and Saturday gone up. 

BBC weather a total frustation.  They forecast rain mid morning a while back which I thought was odd since there was nothing on the radar.   It seemed so stupid for them to do a forecast without consulting the radar.    If there is going to be rain there just has to be clouds for it to come out of. 

Someone posted a link to this site http://www.raintoday.co.uk/.  I find it great if there is a blob heading our way it seems to rain.

lincsyokel2

• Hectare
    • Read my blog at
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2011, 19:32:39 »
The June frost of which I speak was a total devastation all round.  So many people bought replacement packets of runner beans that you could not get one anywhere.

The forecast temperature keeps on changing.  The rain forecast for Saturday has now changed to hail showers. ???  Don't they know we are still desperate for rain.  Friday night forecast temp gone down and Saturday gone up.  

BBC weather a total frustation.  They forecast rain mid morning a while back which I thought was odd since there was nothing on the radar.   It seemed so stupid for them to do a forecast without consulting the radar.    If there is going to be rain there just has to be clouds for it to come out of.  

Someone posted a link to this site http://www.raintoday.co.uk/.  I find it great if there is a blob heading our way it seems to rain.

The point here is that a) the weather is a moving target, you have to keep checking for the current opinion and b) you have to check several forecaster and obtain a consensus to get it accurate. Some forecasters are better then others , but not one is 100%.

By far and away the most accurate long range forecaster is Positive Weather Solutions, but they dont do 24/48/short term forecasts unless you pay, but they accurately predicted both the last two bitter winters and the summer in between.

The Met Office now relies on a faulty computer model and doesn't feed enough real world data in to correct it, so there forecasts are, frankly, laughable, plus ofc all the old boy who used to work there, who had been doing it for donkeys years are all gone, replaced with fluffy young things in miniskirts who look good on camera but cant tell a rainstorm from a pizza for toffee.

SIGN THE PETITION: Punish War Remembrance crimes such as vandalising War memorials!!!   -  http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/22356

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2011, 21:16:37 »
I'm just hoping it stays dry for my daughter's birthday barbecue on Saturday. On theother hand, since i haven't been to the plot for nearly a week, I'm also hoping for rain. :-X

vitruvius8

• Quarter Acre
  • Walled Garden, North Wales
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2011, 22:33:16 »
Well we have snpw on the mountains all round at the moment in North Wales ! and my runner beans are at the top of the sticks and covered in flowers!! Hoping it will miss me ! As if ??? ha ha ha

taurus

• Hectare
  • Swindon, Wiltshire
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2011, 22:42:18 »
raining in Swindon as I type this, so hopefully no frost in the morning  ;)(fingers crossed)

Barkie

• Not So New ...
« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2011, 10:20:48 »
Newbie question about coping with weather. If it is throwing it down, windy and feels cold am I supposed to remove fleece from such as my mini sweetcorn which I planted out last week? Should I have fleeced mangetout?

Also I bought a digital max min thermometer yesterday so if I put this on the bottom shelf of my plastic greenhouse will it give me an indication of the outside temps or should I put it in a plastic bag and site it on the surface of one of my beds?

lincsyokel2

• Hectare
    • Read my blog at
« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2011, 11:35:31 »
Newbie question about coping with weather. If it is throwing it down, windy and feels cold am I supposed to remove fleece from such as my mini sweetcorn which I planted out last week? Should I have fleeced mangetout?

Also I bought a digital max min thermometer yesterday so if I put this on the bottom shelf of my plastic greenhouse will it give me an indication of the outside temps or should I put it in a plastic bag and site it on the surface of one of my beds?
depends if you want to measure the minimum and maximum inside your greenhouse or outside in your beds , cos they obviously wont be the same, and if they were then that would indicate something seriously wrong with your greenhouse!!

« Last Edit: June 12, 2011, 11:51:41 by lincsyokel2 »

Barkie

• Not So New ...
« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2011, 20:23:11 »

depends if you want to measure the minimum and maximum inside your greenhouse or outside in your beds , cos they obviously wont be the same, and if they were then that would indicate something seriously wrong with your greenhouse!!

:) Er yeah, I have "seriously wrong greenhouse" syndrome, it is just a "thin plastic covered mesh shelves" sort of thing.  It's just an idea of the difference in temp that I'm interested in knowing right now cos I also have "seriously wrong garden steps" syndrome (ie there aren't any) so I can't get from the beds back downhill to the house at night without risking my neck.

It was recorded as  0.7C at 3am this morning at my nearest weather station.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2011, 17:35:38 »
We had a light frost. The tips of the potatoes are shrivelled, but the oca was fine under its fleece. Most of the beans are OK, but it's hard to fleece round wigwams and it got the odd plant or two.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal