Author Topic: beetroot  (Read 1620 times)

peterh

• Not So New ...
  • hi i am 70 and have a passion gardening!!
beetroot
« on: June 04, 2011, 10:34:50 »
here's another little puzzle for you all beetrot (boltardy) bought on in pots, planted out when they were about 2" high and covered with 1/2" net re birds. something ate all the tops. not slug or snails as there is lettuce along side them unaffected. i have been gardening since school now 71 so probably 60 years and have never had trouble like this before got me stumped. only thing i can think is mice? what a super day sun is out birds singing what more could we ask, maybe a little rain at night cheers peter 

landimad

• Hectare
  • Me wheels have gone again. Northants UK
Re: beetroot
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2011, 11:51:50 »
Welcome sir,

I am but a child to your good self, but it sounds like you have flea beetle in the crop.
Not sure how to eradicate them, but I had this a few years back and did not know what to do either.
Seems to come and go with time and I just live with it, as it does not seem to affect the beets themselves.

Got them back now to put some tread on them

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2011, 23:56:46 »
Never known flea beetle totally top off beetroot though..  :-\

davyw1

• Hectare
  • I love My Country
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2011, 07:16:32 »
Flea beetle do not attack the stems, they just make the leaves look like a tea bag, mice or voles will do that type of thing they the tend to eat the leaf stem right down to the main stem.
When you wake up on a morning say "good morning world" and be grateful

DAVY

Dandytown

• Hectare
    • Pumpkins Growing Diary
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2011, 09:39:19 »
A few at our site had their beetroot rows decimated.  I think it was an over confident blackbird although I am not sure if the bird pulled them out or ate them.

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2011, 17:39:38 »
Wierd.... beetroot is one of the few thigns I've ever thought could jsut sit out once it's been planted out.... riase mine in module sto avoid the FB early on plant out at around 4".... my money is on a very hungry pigeon (if everything else is protected)...

chrisc

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal