Author Topic: what to sow  (Read 1462 times)

roycurwen1

• Not So New ...
  • Having a go . Love me shed .I'am a cider drinker .
what to sow
« on: May 31, 2011, 23:34:40 »
Hi all . All is well on the new plot still have a bit of digging to do Ive just brought a mini greenhouse and would like to know what seeds to plant this month in pots or trays and when to transplant to the allotment .Thanks ATB Roy.
Don't worry be Happy ! Thatchers Heritage / Chedder Valley Cider ! Happy Day's It will take over your life .Love the outdoor life . Its hard work but its worth it in the end.Black Country Born n Bred !

goodlife

• Hectare
Re: what to sow
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2011, 07:33:10 »
You can still sow quite a lot of things..It might me easier to list what not to sow. ;D
What not to sow...brussels...only if you want them to your christmas dinner..but If you are happy with bit later crop next winter/spring then you could still have a go..
Parsnips are getting bit late traditional growing..but perfectly fine if you are not after really big roots.
Tomatoes..unless small drawf type. Peppers and chillies.
Potatoes are getting a bit late..but even with those, if you have some seed potatoes, you should be able to harvest some 'baby' potatoes.
Apart from those you can sow more and less anything...as for tranplanting..as soon as the plants are big enough  to handle and grown few true leaves they should be planted.
Quite a lot of things you can/should show straight into ground...root crops ( like carrots and parsnips) straight sowing, lettuces, radishes...salad stuff
Just some ideas..I'm sure others will give you a list of other options.. ;)

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2011, 23:37:47 »
Putting in a mini GH right now?... very little except tools, compost and other stuff to keep it dry.... Sowing now in general.... fennel might be worth a go, carrots for late maincrop, parsnips for small uns, all sorts of french and runner beans, sweetcorn (actually that might go in the GH until hatched) if you've got some spare first early seed spuds then they could go in for some salad spuds in September-November... tender herbs like Basil, coriander and cumin....Savoy cabbages and other late winter brassicas need sowing, it's not too late for leeks  either...

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2011, 07:40:15 »
Perhaps a sowing of sweet corn.  Most other things are coming out now or can be sown direct.  Suggest you can grow something tender in it, tomato, chilli, melon, basil

You will have to make sure with hot days you open it up so as not to cook the plants.  I have learned the hard way on this and come back to find all my plants very sad.

tomatoada

• Hectare
  • south birmingham
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2011, 09:34:05 »
I would use it as a seed bed and leave it open.   

Golden acre cabbage is planted now and havested in September.   

peterh

• Not So New ...
  • hi i am 70 and have a passion gardening!!
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2011, 09:52:57 »
what about spring greens  cabbage advantage f1 (spring) will over winter sow june/july harvest next april petyer :P

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal