Author Topic: Can you replant spuds?  (Read 1212 times)

bikegirllisa

• Quarter Acre
Can you replant spuds?
« on: May 25, 2011, 00:24:08 »
I am asking this a bit late, since I already did it - but would appreciate the benefit of your knowledge.

I planted three patio planters last year with three different varieties of spud (Can I remember what they were?  Can I heck!).  Harvested two planters and the yield was so bad, I ignored the last one in disgust.

It sat in the yard through the frost and heavy snow, and to my surprise, whatever I had left in the bag started growing.  Since I got the lottie at Easter, I thought I'd stick them in the other half of my spud bed and see what happens.  I got 17 plants out of the bag, which I have replanted and given a good watering.

Do you think I will get a crop out of these, or will moving them be the kiss of death?

SPUDLY

• Acre
Re: Can you replant spuds?
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2011, 23:16:13 »
Not sure if you will have any luck or not, but you have nothing to lose by trying.

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2011, 07:14:05 »
I moved a volunteer, it was a mayan gold so I wanted to keep it.  It is still alive but hardly thriving, though it has now produced a new leaf from the centre of the plant so I am hopeful, but not sure it will be very productive. 

antipodes

• Hectare
  • W. France, 5m x 20m (900 ft2)
    • My allotment blog
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2011, 09:36:06 »
Well it will depend on whether the "mother" potato is still firmly attached, as that gives it its start in life. But if you did not disturb the roots too much and you planyted them very deep, I guess it might work. 
Potatoes are VERY hardy! You will almost certainly have "volunteers" every year, just a tiny spud will survive the winter and resprout in the spring. Some people say this is a disease risk, personally that has never happened to me, and I tend to leave them till about now, as the beans go in after spuds on my plot and its bean-time, when I usually get a couple of pounds of new potatoes from them. I have never moved them though.
2012 - Snow in February, non-stop rain till July. Blight and rot are rife. Thieving voles cause strife. But first runner beans and lots of greens. Follow an English allotment in urban France: http://roos-and-camembert.blogspot.com

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal