Author Topic: where NOT to put manure?  (Read 1284 times)

Karen Atkinson

• Half Acre
where NOT to put manure?
« on: May 21, 2011, 09:26:34 »
Have had manure composting for 12 months now..is there anywhere I should NOT put it? (eg. brassicas, leeks, parsnips, etc)?

Strawberrygirl

• Quarter Acre
  • Waiting for the sun....
Re: where NOT to put manure?
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2011, 10:41:54 »
Well i put some around my young rhubarb and it appears to have burnt it, the leaves have gone brown and died, there is still some life left so i'm giving it plenty of water. The manure was well rotted also. So i wouldnt do that for a start!

pigeonseed

• Hectare
  • Hastings
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2011, 13:39:27 »
Don't add it to roots - they can 'fork' - go hairy and divided instead of forming one fat root. So generally people don't manure the bed for carrots, beetroot, parsnip etc.

Andy H

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2011, 13:45:02 »
All our root veg are like spiders! :-[

pigeonseed

• Hectare
  • Hastings
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2011, 16:34:13 »
oh disappointing! Are they too forked to eat, or just a bit misshapen?

Andy H

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2011, 17:11:47 »
Can still eat them, they are just a pain to scrub clean, I snap the legs off and bung them in the stew pot!

pigeonseed

• Hectare
  • Hastings
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2011, 21:09:30 »
 ;D At least they're still being eaten ! They are a pain to clean though, I know!

diggerrick

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2011, 21:16:58 »
been told to keep it away from any salad crop? ;)
keep digging

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2011, 22:24:20 »
been told to keep it away from any salad crop? ;)

Dunno why ,best radishes I've ever grown was in a tub of pure horse manure, and it wasn't even particularly rotted....

Anywhoo.... not on areas about to get carrots or parsnips and by extension Hamburg Parsley, OK if rotavated into a n area for brassicas, if you can't rotavate then use it as a mulch. Unusually, considering it's the same family as corrots etc you can put it down under celeriac.... last year I grew great celeriac on soil that had just been fed with fresh horse manure.....

Andy H

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2011, 22:36:23 »
I have bouts of getting trailer load sof manure and putting it everywhere, compo bins, raised beds etc,
the soil needs topping up all the time with manure and rock dust etc.
i think most of us dont have enough compo bins for the amount of stuff we produce.
At least unlike most farming activities we "top up" with organic stuff rather than manufactured furtilizers.

Doing a big test with comfry in the water butt this year, Hose into butt and empty into watering cans and comfry in a sack in the butt.

Not sure how it will affect stuff in fruit so I may water with normal water when fruits come out like strawberries, peas etc.

Pumpkin and runner beans will get comfry juice all year and the flowers of course.

It`s a VERY dry spring so watering a lot with it. see how things happen.

Stinks though ;D

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal