Author Topic: Courgettes in Straw need information please  (Read 4456 times)

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
Courgettes in Straw need information please
« on: May 17, 2011, 20:13:37 »
So I managed to get my straw bales two at £3 a piece - great. :)  Except now the entire car is covered in bit of straw. :o :o  An smells of summer picnics down on my uncle's farm. ;D

I need to make holes in them, should these go right the way through to the ground.  dy on our site from the W/NW so would be good if I could somehow grow the courgettes in the leeward side, does anyone have any suggestions as to how I might achieve that.

What sort of compost/soil is best.  I have leaf mould, recycled compost, homemade compost and soil and some failed commercial potting compost but helps well with drainage being peat based.  So suggestions for a good mix please.

What happens when the courgette plant begins to get long and lanky does it hang down onto the ground?  What stops it breaking off under the weight? 

grannyjanny

• PMs
  • Hectare
  • Lives in Cheshire. Light sandy soil. Loves no dig.
Re: Courgettes in Straw need information please
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2011, 20:23:51 »
Digeroo, Tee Gee has info you are looking for on his gardeners almanac site. It looks very interesting.

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2011, 20:24:10 »
Ok...the idea is get the bale sodden wet first and getting it to start composting process..even heating up..
Don't cut the strings,,nor planting holes yet.
Pour lots of water in..and now the nice bit..wait for it..WEE.. ;D Yep..keep weeing on it..or save it and pour it on.
Pile good load of grass clippings on top..water..plastic sheet over and let it cook. Ideally repeating the process every other day. Eventually the bale goes soft in the middle and you 'just' scoop some of the now 'mushy' straw out maybe adding bit of compost and plant your plants. At this stage you bale should not be able to heat anymore. Old grass clippins and the scooped out straw you can use as mulch and they will feed your plants.
The string will stay on and keep it all together.. ;)
I would spend at least a week preparing the bales,longer if your plants can wait that long as straw will take bit time to go 'soft'.

grannyjanny

• PMs
  • Hectare
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2011, 20:28:52 »
Sponge brain ;D ;D ;D.

Digeroo

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2011, 20:37:39 »
I will start things off tomorrow - can make a suitable high nitrogen collection by that time. ;D  I had forgotten they would need a week or so to heat up and cool down, but I can pot on the courgettes in the meantime.

Where abouts on TGs site please GJ?   Being a bit goofy can't find it. 

I kind of thought the idea was that the warming would help to warm up the courgette.

grannyjanny

• PMs
  • Hectare
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2011, 20:43:46 »
I googled it & that's what came up Digeroo.

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2011, 20:53:00 »
Code: [Select]
I had forgotten they would need a week or so to heat up and cool down, but I can pot on the courgettes in the meantime.Actually..ideally more like month..but in a week or two you should be able to manage with little help from added compost.. ;)

davyw1

• Hectare
  • I love My Country
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2011, 20:59:13 »
A couple of points first you have to let the bails cool down before planting and why not be a little more modern and use a high nitrogen feed such as Bone Meal or Sulphate of Ammonia instead having to piss on them,This will reduce the heating time.
Why you want to go to all this trouble is beyond me if i grow them outside where my allotment is any one can
When you wake up on a morning say "good morning world" and be grateful

DAVY

Digeroo

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2011, 21:10:43 »
I should have got them a few weeks ago but it was a case of having the back seats  of the car flattned and so having enough space for the straw.  It is still too cold to plant the courgettes outside anyway.

Perhaps I better start a few more off just in case it takes a bit longer.

I just thoght that the bales would be a good idea because I intend to grow some more courgettes using the bales a wind protection.  Growing something on top to some expent is a bonus.  I also want the straw bales to cover part of the allotment in the autumn on a no dig basis and also for paths so they stay weed free and dry when it starts raining again. 

Not actually got any Bone meal will BFB do instead?

davyw1

• Hectare
  • I love My Country
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2011, 21:26:33 »
Fish Blood and bone is more of a ballanced feed not a high nitrogen feed (Organic equivelent of Growmore)  but you will still require some to go in the bails before planting.
You can get Bone Meal or Sulphate of Amonia at places like Wilko,s or be a bit cheeky if you are passing a farm pop in and and ask the farmer if he will give you a bit of Uria for an experiment. Never know your luck and shy boys get no soup LOL

DAVY

Digeroo

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2011, 21:31:00 »
I am worried about sourcing animal urea because of the AP situation.

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Last Edit: May 17, 2011, 21:38:23 by Tee Gee »

davyw1

• Hectare
  • I love My Country
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2011, 21:35:50 »
I am worried about sourcing animal urea because of the AP situation.

LOL i was not refering to animal urine i was refering to the link

http://www.ehow.com/about_5380766_urea-fertilizer.html

DAVY

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2011, 21:39:35 »
Digeroo..just have extra cup of coffee or two and your urea needs are sorted.. ;) ;D

Digeroo

• Hectare
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2011, 21:49:37 »
Thanks for posting the link TG.  Great stuff.

Digeroo

• Hectare
« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2011, 22:02:13 »
Thank you all for your help I shall get them started tomorrw and see wnat happens.  If all else fails they will still be a good windbreak.

woodypecks

• Hectare
    • Daisy in the Garden
« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2011, 08:39:09 »
.......but why spend so much on all that straw and other stuff , the seeds are expensive in the first place ....when you can just plant them in the ground !     :o
Trespassers will be composted !

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2011, 08:50:48 »
Whats life without a bit of experimentation ;D
When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

Digeroo

• Hectare
« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2011, 09:21:29 »
The wind was whipping across the lottie at 60 miles an hour on Friday and on Sunday was less ferocious but extremely cold, and again on Monday we had strong wind though this time very warm.  It is not at all condusive to growing courgettes it upsets them enormously so the biggest thing is to stop the wind, growing things out the top of the straw is a secondary consideration.

And as Shirlton says its a bit of an experiment, a bit of fun, something different.   

I do not have a pristine plot with regimented rows of veg standing to weed free attentions like the dgitally produced armies of the baddies in Star Wars.  One child last year described my plot as a jungle: I like my crops dripping by the bucket load off huge plants. 

artichoke

• Hectare
« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2011, 09:26:33 »
I'm doing this too, and started a thread on it, recommending Tee Gee's advice and giving the link to it.

Even after a couple of months open to the elements, watered and sprinkled heavily with sulphate of ammonia, they never actually heated up, but they have got softer inside.

I made planting holes with a heavy iron crowbar thing I have (I normally use it as a post hole maker for stakes, or to plant leeks) dropped into the bales and pushed backwards and forwards. I pulled out handfuls of straw (reserved to mulch the plants) and filled the hole with a mixture of ordinary topsoil and old manure (bought sack).

I certainly did not make the holes down to the ground because I followed advice and put down a waterproof tarpaulin before placing the straw bales. One of my goals is to smother weeds and grass (pastureland) and create a large new bed without digging (12 bales for £36, free delivery and placing), plus a mass of mulch/compost when the growing season is over.

My plants have only been in for over a week, but already look much better than they did in their pots, even though I have only been able to water them twice in 10 days. I have covered them with netting tunnels and fleece to protect them from cold and wind and drying out, but that will be coming off soon.

I am growing squashes in the ground as well, but experiments are always interesting, as shirlton says. The people who use this method are very enthusiastic and persuasive, and I am interested to see how it turns out.

Another possibility is placing the bales in a square, filling in the central space with newspaper, cardboard, weeds, grass, soil, compost, manure, anything else to hand, and planting into that and into the bales, to make a large raised bed. This again would smother existing weeds and produce a mass of useful mulch/compost as well (I hope) as a useful series of crops at the same time.

I have three half plots, two of them gradually being dug out of weedy meadowland, and I hope these straw bales will be a relatively inexpensive way of smothering the weeds, producing crops meanwhile, and ending up with large fertile areas to be gardened more conventionally in future years.

So it is not just a purposeless waste of money and effort, I hope. If the squashes grow well this year, I intend to try the large square raised bed next year.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal