Author Topic: Mystery Rhubarb disease? any ideas?  (Read 7599 times)

PeterVV

• Half Acre
Mystery Rhubarb disease? any ideas?
« on: May 15, 2011, 19:38:31 »
My rhubarb that I planted last autumn after splitting a crown, has come out in red blotches all over the leaves? I did put manure around the crowns a month or so ago, but apart from that it was planted where nothing had been growing for a few years. Is it fatal, will it recover?

PurpleHeather

• Hectare
Re: Mystery Rhubarb disease? any ideas?
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2011, 19:59:29 »
rhubarb is usually strong and disease resistant.

My suggestion is to pull up every stalk and use if. Discard every infected loking leaf and then see what happens with the new growth.

Bugloss2009

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2011, 20:25:09 »
rhubarb goes go a bit poorly looking from about now, especially if it's been warm and dry

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2011, 20:29:30 »
No worries... ;)...and no need to any special treatments  neither.. ;)
As you plant is still trying establish itself and now we've had so dry weather when it is the worst time for the rhubarbs point of view.
Usually you get those kind of markings in late summer on old leaves.
I don't know what its actually is..but seen it often..and it doesn't effect its productivity or even necessary show up again next year. I think its like 'stress/age' spots..
Just give it good dollop of water now and then and next year is going to be as good as 'new'.. ;)

Unwashed

• Hectare
  • Vexatious, moi?
    • Simon on Facebook
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2011, 21:41:36 »
Rhubarb is fine once it's established but it takes several years to get its roots down and settle, and if you didn't prepare the planting hole with plenty of organic matter it might struggle.  I suspect the plant is stressed after being transplanted and is simply drying out - not difficult at the moment.  Give it planty to drink and don't pick any stalks this year or next - it needs to build its strength.
An Agreement of the People for a firm and present peace upon grounds of common right

taurus

• Hectare
  • Swindon, Wiltshire
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2011, 23:00:17 »
My new plants have gone like that after a frost.  Must admit have kept them well watered, ground as dry as a bone here.  The older plants seem to be OK.

davyw1

• Hectare
  • I love My Country
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2011, 07:58:58 »
Red Spot is not a good thing to get on your rhubarb and if i was you i would pull every infected leaf and stalk as it will eventually affect the stalks causing them to wither as it is a fungal infection do not compost the the leaves or stalks.
I am sure you will find more info if you have a Google
When you wake up on a morning say "good morning world" and be grateful

DAVY

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2011, 08:22:32 »
Ok..I've had a little 'dig' in my bookcase and found the possible cause..
Leaf spots..but nothing that I read is causing any alarm bells...
"most cases leaf spots are not very damaging in their own right, though they may indicate that the host plant is suffering from some other, rather more fundamental problem. The spots often show concentric zones of discoloration."
That description is general for leaf spots..there is many differencies depending of host plant.
I struggled to entries for pest and deseases for rhubarb...and that was only possible out of lot.
But like I said in earlier post...'newly' divided plant, dry spring..plant is just showing sign of being under stress.
By starting to pull the the new growth off you just end up weakening the new plant that is trying to establish.
BUT..if those stalk and leaves go floppy and are starting to die...then remove them..they are no good for the plant in that stage.
Bit of TLC what is needed and we'll see next year if these spot are efffecting your plant again.. ;)

no-lottie

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2011, 01:47:03 »
Ramularia is one problem Rhubarb will suffer from.

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2011, 06:43:16 »
I have been getting red spots on the stems of some of my rhubarb.  What a drag!  Not really taken any notice of it.  I think I will go through and remove all the affected ones.

Someone gave me some roots and actually they are fine but the ones suffering were Unwins ones from our local GS.  So much for buying from a reliable source.

Many thanks for posting this thread.

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2011, 08:09:57 »
Drat just realised I discarded some which is now out in my compost bin at home.  Though I suppose being a Fungus it will just arrive soon enough if it is in the area.  Presume the rest of the batch from the garden centre are in the vicinity.

no-lottie

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2011, 11:11:10 »
I'd get a positive I.D on the spots before I went and ripped the plants out. It may be a deficiency or even weather related.

Ben Acre

• Half Acre
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2011, 18:29:32 »
Its just a leaf fungus Puccinia phragmitidis just eat the rhubarb and enjoy it dont worry too much about these leaf fungi they wont hurt you ::)

PeterVV

• Half Acre
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2011, 20:59:40 »
Its just a leaf fungus Puccinia phragmitidis just eat the rhubarb and enjoy it dont worry too much about these leaf fungi they wont hurt you ::)
I havent picked any yet as it hasnt been in a year yet, and I am leaving it build up its strength until next year. I havent been watering it, so maybe it is a bit stressed. I will keep an eye on it, if it goes its no big loss it was the smallest of the splits anyway.....I still have 2 bigger bits...

davyw1

• Hectare
  • I love My Country
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2011, 21:08:08 »
Ramularia is one problem Rhubarb will suffer from.

HAHA i have been trying for days to think of that name.i have tried every combination including malaria.

I think those that have these red spots should have a search for it as i think you also have to clean out arround the base of the stems.
When you wake up on a morning say "good morning world" and be grateful

DAVY

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal