Author Topic: Beginning to panic....  (Read 2532 times)

Angel

• Half Acre
Beginning to panic....
« on: May 08, 2011, 09:30:57 »
.... that my flower bed is going to be empty  :(

Most of my seedlings were scoffed by something and I have sown more but am worried they
are too late going in and I wont have anything to plant up.

Will they catch up or am I just going to have to accept I will have to make a trip to garden centre ?

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
Re: Beginning to panic....
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2011, 13:29:07 »
If you've had the rain recently they should romp away... get some slug/snail killer down first... they probably scoffed your previous seedlings. :-X

Angel

• Half Acre
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2011, 15:13:15 »
Yeah, had a couple of days of drizzle and some heavy downpours, back to sunshine now.
Fingers crossed they do get a move on then  :)

Ellen K

• Hectare
  • Loughborough, Leicestershire
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2011, 14:31:11 »
Hi, Suttons sells a range of seeds called Fast Flowers (in bright pink packets), kind of basic but nice though some still take 10 weeks.

This year I've bought plug plants after 2 years of failing to grow gazania, rudbeckia and numerous others from seeds.   But on Gardeners World, a presenter once grew an entire garden, Greenacre sized, from packets of annual seeds and it was pretty amazing.  But you need the resources to replicate it.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2011, 14:32:49 by DenbyVisitor »

Angel

• Half Acre
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2011, 19:05:44 »
Thanks, will look out for them.

Think am going to have to buy some back up plants, panic has taken over LOL

If the seeds do get a shift on I can always donate any I have too many of to my friends.

Angel

• Half Acre
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2011, 15:02:06 »
I caved and bought some plants today  ::)

Ben Acre

• Half Acre
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2011, 19:36:18 »
You can sow anything now and the plants will soon catch up, I sow hardy annuals right up until late June.

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2011, 19:44:38 »
I sowed some mixed annuals in the front garden and nothing much happened then we finally had some rain two weeks ago and I now have a forest of little seedlings.

Funny how they know the dfference between tap water and real rain.

I am sure like Saddad says if you have had some rain they will soon take off.

green lily

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2011, 20:39:14 »
Rain? If you've any to spare we'd like a  bit please. Getting seriously dry now and I haven't put my tender plants out because of the wind. Even the weeds are struggling to germinate......

Ben Acre

• Half Acre
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2011, 20:45:31 »
Since moving to the top end of our town the wind is constant I have spent the day staking my sunflowers and other annuals. My allotment is in a bowl and is very hot and windless.

Angel

• Half Acre
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2011, 21:00:29 »
I just had a little panic LOL I am sure you are right if I just have faith in the little seeds  :)

Am sure I will find a wee space for everyone if they do catch up  ;)

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2011, 21:28:22 »
Code: [Select]
Funny how they know the dfference between tap water and real rainI've got load of all sort of useless info stored into my sponge brain..so I shall tell you reason for why rain water is better.
When rain fall..it brings down some atmospheric nitrogen ..and that is what makes things lush up so quickly.. ;)
Tap water has gone through water treatment..most likely contain chlorine..although water is good but the treatments don't actually encourage new plant growth.
So there...I got it out of my system now.. ;D

Ben Acre

• Half Acre
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2011, 21:29:41 »
Rain does not have Fluoride and other chemicals in too

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2011, 21:48:50 »
We have no rain to spare sorry, we have only had one evening rain in 11 weeks.

I am interesting in what you say about the differences between tap water and rain water for germination.  We have well water at lottie so it would be interesting to compare the effects of all three.   The well water is unpurified but will not have the nitrogen fix.  Our tap water contains chlorine but actually comes from underground source no fluoride. 

I will give it a go and see if I can detect differences in germination.  Unfortunately no rain so will have to use rain water from the roof so presume the nigroget does not last in the butt.

I think it is actually more to do with the time, a couple of hours of light rain is very different from three minutes with a hose pipe or a quick douse with a watering can,

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal