Author Topic: Ants  (Read 1858 times)

Poppy Mole

• Hectare
  • Petworth, West Sussex
Ants
« on: May 04, 2011, 12:30:14 »
Just discovered an ants nest under a rock on the new rockery, will they damage my plants that I am about to plant, or should I destroy them first?
Hate killing things though.

goodlife

• Hectare
Re: Ants
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2011, 13:02:10 »
No they don't damage them..you can leave them be.
If you are going to plant next to the nest site..give the ground/planting hole thorough watering first and they move away from the wet soil and don't loosen the soil around new plant thus drying the roots out.. ;)

Dandytown

• Hectare
    • Pumpkins Growing Diary
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2011, 13:08:27 »
I have lived in my house for 4 years and never had a problem with them.  Went away for a week over easter and the buggers moved in by the front door.

I am with you poppy mole in that I dont like killing anything but I dont want them in my house.  May have to get the hhover out and relocate them.

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2011, 15:38:19 »
borax and icing sugar mixed, under the cooker or washing machine
I've had a word with them, they can stay outside and be safe, once they come inside, they've had it  ;D

Poppy Mole

• Hectare
  • Petworth, West Sussex
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2011, 17:14:30 »
Thankfully mine are at the far end of the garden

Vinlander

• Hectare
  • North London - heavy but fertile clay
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2011, 02:15:17 »
Ants farm aphids on your plants and also farm scale insect on anything perennial (yuk).

I kill the ants with borax and icing sugar mixed 50:50 (kills the queen - most of the individual ants live out their lives normally).

Then one spray with soft soap to kill the sapsuckers and you're clear.

Better than spraying with something stronger.
With a microholding you always get too much or bugger-all. (I'm fed up calling it an allotment garden - it just encourages the tidy-police).

The simple/complex split is more & more important: Simple fertilisers Poor, complex ones Good. Simple (old) poisons predictable, others (new) the opposite.

picman

• Acre
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2011, 10:17:08 »
Ants can do damage if they pile their nest soil up and cover small plants , control them...  

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal