Author Topic: Will Light Sussex & ISA Browns share the same run?  (Read 1709 times)

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
Will Light Sussex & ISA Browns share the same run?
« on: April 28, 2011, 23:44:38 »
I have 3 Light Sussex hens and am considering getting 3 ISA Browns to accompany them.  Will these 2 breeds get on together in the same run after they have argued to renew the pecking order.
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

goodlife

• Hectare
Re: Will Light Sussex & ISA Browns share the same run?
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2011, 19:37:46 »
Usually the breed of the chicken is not issue..it is the size..if they are more and less same there should be no further problems after the pecking order is set.
Sometimes if there is banties and large breeds mixed in same pen..the smaller size might become issue and they get bullied...but it is not usual response.
Yep..I would not hesitate to mix them up..you may need to do bit extra effort with food sharing first off...like hanging some greens from different places so they all are not fighting over the same bit..and maybe use few dishes for corn/feed. Once things settle down reduce the 'supply points' to normal.
Do we get to see some pics of new arrivals..? ;D

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2011, 08:02:23 »
 The Isa Brown Hybrid is about 2/3 the size of the Sussex but as thyt are both gentle temperment birds I think they will settle down OK.

XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

Alex133

• Acre
  • Salisbury, Wiltshire
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2011, 07:02:32 »
My Light Sussex is huge compared to the other 2 (Columbian Blacktail & Bluebelle Maran) and no trouble between them.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal