Author Topic: giant pkn time again  (Read 34357 times)

Steve.

• Half Acre
    • The Nook
Re: giant pkn time again
« Reply #140 on: September 07, 2011, 11:31:02 »
Well I think the weather in Cumbria has been carp for growing pumpkins this year, I had one growing quite early on in the season, it rotted. So it was removed and another took over growing in a real funny shape but its now slowed down I think as one further down the vine is really taking off now....none of these though are bigger than a medicine ball.

I have good seed, with a great history behind them...will these seed still be okay for next year, or will I have to source new for then?

Steve...:)
"The Nook"

Photo's copyright İSteve Randles, however if you want one, please ask.

Dandytown

• Hectare
    • Pumpkins Growing Diary
« Reply #141 on: September 07, 2011, 15:36:27 »
Seeds with good genetics and as old as 12 years old have been grown and produced big pumpkins so as long as you store them in a cool and dry place then they should be fine for next year and the year after.

Make sure you have back-ups just in case they do not germinate.

Steve.

• Half Acre
    • The Nook
« Reply #142 on: September 07, 2011, 16:53:59 »
My seed come from an 849lb 'kin, that 'kins seed came from a 1502lber, I have plenty of it so could keep growing it year by year then.  ;D

Sounds good to me, thanks Dandytown!

"The Nook"

Dandytown

• Hectare
    • Pumpkins Growing Diary
« Reply #143 on: September 09, 2011, 17:32:02 »
woohooo!  its still growing but slowly! Tapes 307lbs.  Now I am excited.

Probably still too small to make a pumpkin boat when I weigh 180lbs ish
but we will see!  ;D

Nigel B

• Hectare
« Reply #144 on: September 10, 2011, 21:35:22 »
 Well.... so far so good.....

I reckon you've all peaked too soon.....  :P Mine's at least 50lbs according to the chart/tape/measury/thing and putting on up to 3lbs a day!

By this time next year Rodney, we'll be pumpkinionaires!...................
"Carry on therefore with your good work.  Do not rest on your spades, except for those brief periods which are every gardeners privilege."

Steve.

• Half Acre
    • The Nook
« Reply #145 on: September 20, 2011, 12:27:53 »
I've taken new OTT measurements today and she now weighs 47.6lb...that's almost doubled in size in the last week (25.8lb just 8 days ago). Must take my camera to the plot to get a photo or two.

"The Nook"

Grandma

• Hectare
  • Worthing, West Sussex.
« Reply #146 on: September 20, 2011, 16:01:34 »
Worthing's wonderful Force 9 sea breezes - (two storms in a week!) - put a very premature end to my poor pumpkin! It was cut and weighed yesterday - 79lb. Not the 100lb job I was hoping for but a personal best by 9lb. so I'm not complaining and, with all I've learnt this year, I hope to do better next time.

(I'm very impressed with the OTT measuring system and chart.  :) My measurements made it 76lb. so, allowing for the fact that my measurements probably weren't too accurate, being only 3lb. out was very good indeed.)

Thanks for all the advice so freely given through the growing season. I look forward to reading about/seeing photos of the monsters later!)   

slyfox-mal

• Acre
    • my diary
« Reply #147 on: September 20, 2011, 16:04:42 »
there wont be any giants from me this year mine has just about stopped at about 210 lb on a brighter note my marrow won at local show  finished off at 94lb
The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are,
the olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be in the rghit pclae.

pete JB

• Half Acre
« Reply #148 on: September 23, 2011, 12:11:49 »
I have pretty much given up on mine although it`s still growing. It taped 293" this morning for an estimated weight of 533 pounds.
Pics to follow. It`s getting quite orange with a lot of cantelouping.

Pete

pete JB

• Half Acre
« Reply #149 on: September 23, 2011, 12:13:09 »
Well done on the marrow Mal. You would have got 3rd place at the northeren championship at Harrogate last week. Couple of monsters there over 100 Lbs

Pete

Dandytown

• Hectare
    • Pumpkins Growing Diary
« Reply #150 on: September 23, 2011, 12:29:56 »
I have kind of given up on mine too and do not water as religously.  However, it seems to be growing at around 5lbs a day still so I shouldnt neglect it too much.

The surface of mine looks like the bottom of a dried up waterbed with a degree of cantalouping.  No change in colour as it looks rather a pale.

Taped 363 lbs yesterday at day 75 and I just don't think it has the legs to get to 400 but then again measurable growth on mine stopped on day 57 for 4 days and I thought that was it until it either picked itself up or just started growing in a measurable area. 

It could weigh in heavy but it has two large depressions at the blossom end that could lose it some weight.

If it stays above 350 then I'll be extremely happy.

pete JB

• Half Acre
« Reply #151 on: September 23, 2011, 18:07:22 »

Steve.

• Half Acre
    • The Nook
« Reply #152 on: September 23, 2011, 18:18:25 »
Nice 'kin JB...well done you!!

"The Nook"

lisaparkin

• Acre
« Reply #153 on: September 24, 2011, 22:22:49 »
My pumpkins estimated weight is a very embarassing 30lb  :'( :'(

Dandytown

• Hectare
    • Pumpkins Growing Diary
« Reply #154 on: October 04, 2011, 11:48:21 »
Bet it will be bigger next year Lisa.

Check out the following links for two pictures for comparison of how I did in 2008 and three years later 2011.

The first is from 2008 which was my first year for trying to grow an AG.  I didn't read up on how to grow a big one.  I grew in a 10L pot which is a big no no.  My daughter makes it look bigger than it was but it was a nice colour though.  It was probably no bigger than 30lbs.

http://www.bigpumpkins.com/Diary/DiaryView.asp?season=2008&grower=55348&action=L

This second link/photograph  is 2011's effort and was taken yesterday which is my 2nd attempt at growing an AG but I will call it my first year as 2008 doesnt really constitute a proper attempt.  Much bigger but a lot uglier than the 2008 effort

http://www.bigpumpkins.com/Diary/DiaryViewOne.asp?eid=171496

Squash64

• Hectare
    • Walsall Road Allotments
« Reply #155 on: October 04, 2011, 13:04:26 »
That certainly is one brute of a pumpkin! What sort of scales will it be weighed on?
Last year we had to cut the winning one in half at our competition because the scales didn't go over 200 pounds.

( I love the look on your daughter's face in the first link!)
Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham

allotment website:-
www.growit.btck.co.uk

Dandytown

• Hectare
    • Pumpkins Growing Diary
« Reply #156 on: October 04, 2011, 13:23:29 »
I am not sure yet betty.  I was keen on getting a pulley and hanging scale.  The pulley costs about £40 and will be needed for lifting it but the scales are just to pricey for me at around £200.  I will have to see if I can hire a scale.

Next year when some more points drop off my driving license  :-[ so I will be able to hire a vehicle to take my pumpkin(s) to a show for an official weight.  Not this year though.

Steve.

• Half Acre
    • The Nook
« Reply #157 on: October 04, 2011, 13:56:28 »
My AG was 83lb at the last OTT measuring a few days back, I'm thinking it will be into or near triple figures when I measure it next.

There is a complete and confusing minefield out there of information about growing  these Pumpkin giants..most of it American based, maybe a couple of British growers could write some mini articles here for A4A on the subject? From seed to harvest and everything inbetween, the things you have learned that help you achieve these giant monster Pumpkins.

Anyone up for that?

"The Nook"

pete JB

• Half Acre
« Reply #158 on: October 04, 2011, 14:24:32 »
Hi Steve,

I have already done that. I will try and find the article I wrote. It was a while back but I will still have it on my hard drive somewhere.
You are aright. It IS a minefield but there are a few simple rules for people beginning growing giants. If these are followed then you should end up with something at the end of it.
Watch this space. I will post something soon

Pete

pete JB

• Half Acre
« Reply #159 on: October 04, 2011, 14:40:03 »
Bugger. I cant find it.

I will write something from scratch !

>:(

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal