Author Topic: giant pkn time again  (Read 34356 times)

Mark S

• Quarter Acre
Re: giant pkn time again
« Reply #120 on: August 17, 2011, 23:13:02 »
Quote from: Grandma link=topic=66844.msg699184#msg699184 date=1313511752

[b
Family and friends have put bets (50p!) on its final weight [/b] - guesses range from 68lb to 130 lb. I would just love to crack the magic 100lb barrier!

What  a brill idea!!! As a newbie, I have succeeded in getting 3 pumpkins growing, the biggest being about the size of (dont laugh) a snooker ball.

However, based on the message above, I will take the biggest one to work, raffle a guess the  weight, and the proceeds go to whaever charity is decided upon, prob either a cancer or heart charity.

pete JB

• Half Acre
« Reply #121 on: August 19, 2011, 16:54:52 »
Hiya Mal, sorry it`s taken a while to reply.
My tunnel is approx 40 x 20 or 800 Sq feet. I only have 1 kin in there and a pollinator which I pull when it`s done. It`s got 5 hoops and 2 wooden end sections. The cover is attached to the wooden rails at the bottom and not trenched.
I got it for 400 quid (if memory serves) and it`s a sturdy beast, got me through 3 winters anyway.

On another note. I lifted my carrots today. Managed to get a couple of sets for tomorrow although I`m a complete novice at this and not really sure what I`m doing. I`m also entering a marrow (one of yours) which isnt that big. It took ages for the plant to establish and even longer for a viable female but I`m gonna stick it in and see what happens. If nothing else, I have learned loads about marrow growing this year and I`m`confident I can do better next year.
How are yours doing ?

Pete

pete JB

• Half Acre
« Reply #122 on: August 21, 2011, 14:00:24 »
Well !
The gods must be smiling on me. I managed to get 1st and 2nd place with my 2 sets of carrots. I put the 2nd set in as an afterthought because I thought they were not as good as the 1st set. But the 2nd set won ! go figure......

I also won the heaviest marrow even though it was really small (35 Lbs) There were bigger ones there that looked heavier but wern`t
I`m officially addicted to showing ! LOL

Pete

http://www.flickr.com/photos/65218770@N06/6064847163/

pumkinlover

« Reply #123 on: August 21, 2011, 14:03:29 »
They look great - congrats :) :) :)

pete JB

• Half Acre
« Reply #124 on: August 21, 2011, 14:05:42 »
Seeing as this is the pumpkin forum.......................

I measured mine this morning. It`s 370 Lbs and doing 20 a day. Finally some good daily numbers.

Dandytown

• Hectare
    • Pumpkins Growing Diary
« Reply #125 on: August 22, 2011, 09:28:52 »
Congrats Pete, nice for the hard work to pay off.

I measured mine today at 200"OTT / 180 lbs on day 45 and its growing from 7.5 - 11lbs a day.  I'm hoping that with 39 days to the end of September that I should be able to put on another 1"OTT a day and reach 300lbs. 2"OTT and reach 400lbs.  I just get greedier and greedier ;)

A few more days and it will not fit it through the gate.  

I do want to take it to a show but have to work out how navigate through the plot to, and get it over a 6' hedge.   Any ideas?
« Last Edit: August 22, 2011, 09:33:54 by Dandytown »

pete JB

• Half Acre
« Reply #126 on: August 22, 2011, 21:57:35 »
I do want to take it to a show but have to work out how navigate through the plot to, and get it over a 6' hedge.   Any ideas?

Yeah, cut the hedge down !
Sorry, I dont have any ideas apart from getting a tractor in. I moved mine last year with the help from a friends tractor and I simply wouldnt have got it into the van otherwise. They are a nightmare to move once they get big.
Good luck

Nigel B

• Hectare
« Reply #127 on: August 24, 2011, 16:39:06 »
I almost gave up on mine.... But then saw the sense of what you folks have been talking...
It takes a while sometimes.......
I now have three, and am about to reduce that to two, just to see...

As others have said, this year has been learning, next will be better.... and the one after that.... and the next one... then that one..... Oooh, and that one.....
"Carry on therefore with your good work.  Do not rest on your spades, except for those brief periods which are every gardeners privilege."

Dandytown

• Hectare
    • Pumpkins Growing Diary
« Reply #128 on: August 24, 2011, 17:26:35 »
I'm with you on that Nigel.  Learn, learn, learn

I have already started prep'ing next year patch by weeding, adding manure and sowing a cover crop of grazing rye.  So far I am 1/4 of the way through the first 600 square foot patch.  May try 'winter tares' as well as it fixes nitrogen.

Key lessons for me this year are

1. do not grow on a side vine unless I have no choice
2. Get soil in to good shape and make sure it has what it needs (through a soil test)
3. Construct an irrigation system as I just couldnt get to water the whole plant (inc. all burried vines) as its a jungle.
4.  cut finger nails more often and try not to scuff the soft skin when measuring

Keep going nigel!

slyfox-mal

• Acre
    • my diary
« Reply #129 on: August 24, 2011, 19:16:35 »
this year has been a real difficult year all round for pkns i just cannot get mine going to any degree  simply  not enough sun and real cool nights im struggling to get five lb per day  here is my feeble attempt so far

ott 184  that equates to 142lb
my other plant has only just decided to wake up and start  fruiting

on a brighter note my marrows seem to like the weather a little more this one is estimated at about 82lb

but hey if it was easy  it wouldnt be worth doing  always look forward to next season
The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are,
the olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be in the rghit pclae.

lisaparkin

• Acre
« Reply #130 on: August 24, 2011, 19:31:43 »
Bad news!!!

One of my pumpkins went rotten ??? :'(

Would this be caused by lack of water? 
The only time they get any water is if/when it rains.  We have no water suppy (tap) at the plots so if it doesnt rain for ages our water butt is empty. 
We have been filling up empty 4pint milk bottles and pop bottles but all we have been watering are the tomatoes and lettuce in pots, everything else has to survive on its own, there is no way we can get enough water to the plot to water everything.  Also pumpkins have not grown any bigger for weeks.  :'(

Photo0628 - Copy by lisaparkin36, on Flickr

slyfox-mal

• Acre
    • my diary
« Reply #131 on: August 24, 2011, 20:22:58 »
sorry to hear that lisa  but it does happen i lost one at a little under 200 lb last year for no reason i could see
The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are,
the olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be in the rghit pclae.

Dandytown

• Hectare
    • Pumpkins Growing Diary
« Reply #132 on: August 26, 2011, 12:00:30 »
Thats a real shame Lisa.  I observed the same for a pumpkin of the same size for one of the other plot holders.

It must be hard managing without tap water and I dont honestly know how I would manage.  I have lots of water buts but of course need a tap to keep filling them up.

Anythoughts on how to make it easier for yourseklf next year?

Dandytown

• Hectare
    • Pumpkins Growing Diary
« Reply #133 on: August 26, 2011, 12:08:23 »
Mine is getting a little difficult to measure as it grew wider in some parts but is now filling out in others so whilst overall measurements do not change much I do know it is still growing.  

I have been using fish,blood and bone every friday, except for the last where I added sulphate of potash and then this week I have started with sea-weed solution.  Not very structured but as and when I could buy and collect.

Today is cold at 14oC so it must have been really bad last night and I am not expecting much growth.  Currently at 210"OTT an est.205 lbs.  My target for now is 300lbs but I will just have to see but be thankful for what I have.  It is however to big for my allotment gate so it is going to have to go over the hedge.

I'll be sure to add some pictures of the fun and games of moving it.  Keep going everyone and here's hoping you get a late boost Mal (although you did say you were concentrating on marrows this year and that one looks good!)
« Last Edit: August 26, 2011, 12:09:59 by Dandytown »

Nigel B

• Hectare
« Reply #134 on: August 26, 2011, 14:44:30 »
Not quite dead yet though..... :)
This is one of two left.....

http://flic.kr/p/agsw6K[/img]]
Should I keep them both, or ask the plant to put all it's resources into a single one?.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2011, 15:00:57 by Nigel B »
"Carry on therefore with your good work.  Do not rest on your spades, except for those brief periods which are every gardeners privilege."

brownowl23

• Acre
« Reply #135 on: August 26, 2011, 15:08:08 »
i'd be hapy with one of them. mine was so late setting female flowers

Sinbad7

• Hectare
« Reply #136 on: August 30, 2011, 15:42:16 »
As you know I gave up once my giant got the sag ;D  It might have been a whoppa if only.................

But had to take a photo of it with Alfie sitting on it  ;D

http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z284/sunnyday_012/002-2.jpg

Dandytown

• Hectare
    • Pumpkins Growing Diary
« Reply #137 on: August 31, 2011, 14:15:59 »
That is quite a Sag Sinbad.  Alfie doesnt look to happy sitting on it.  How many 'takes' did it take?

Mine looks like it has shoulders as a result of some large dips at the blossom end.  Its looking big and ugly at an estimated 250lbs.

Nigel B

• Hectare
« Reply #138 on: August 31, 2011, 21:13:21 »
*Scuse me. Just trying to make that last link work.....

http://flic.kr/p/agsw6K

Grrrrrrrr :-[
« Last Edit: August 31, 2011, 21:16:45 by Nigel B »

Dandytown

• Hectare
    • Pumpkins Growing Diary
« Reply #139 on: September 07, 2011, 11:09:43 »
I think mine has stopped growing as there has been no measurable change in the last 3 days.  It is by no means symmetrical so it could be growing but I am just not measurig in the right places.

Given the weather I could well have stopped.

Its an ugly pumpkin but I'm proud of her.  She is estimated at 236 inches OTT which is about 286 lbs.  I'm hoping it weighs in heavy so I can reach 300 lbs.

I'll leave her on the vine just in case she is still growing.

Best of luck everyone and I hope yours is more attractive than mine.  Just off to Halfords to get some orange spray paint.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal