Author Topic: giant pkn time again  (Read 34594 times)

Mark S

• Quarter Acre
Re: giant pkn time again
« Reply #100 on: July 28, 2011, 21:15:15 »
[quote

Nigel. Not sure what you mean in your post. The plant will put out a primary vine (the thickest one) and secondary vines will grow at right angles (ish) to this. You need to leave the secondary vines on because they will support the plant when the fruit starts growing. Coming off the secondary vines, you will have whats called 3rd stage growth. You need to remove this because if you dont, the plant will just tie itself in knots and all this growth will eventually hamper your fruits ability to put on weight.

[/quote]

I now have what I think are the secondaries coming off the primary vine, and also have the long thin 'runners' that you get on runner beans/peas/cucumbers etc. Do I leave these runners on, or are they what will strangle the plant ultimately?

I also have loads of what appear to be flower buds, which are very close to the root of the primary vine - do I leave these to open and see if they are a male or a female flower.

Happy to send a photo in if it makes your answers or my description any easier, lol!!

lisaparkin

• Acre
« Reply #101 on: July 31, 2011, 21:59:46 »
Pumpkin update, photo taken today, 31st July.

I accidently cut off a vine growing a large pumpkin today!!!  :'( >:( :'(

Photo0507 by lisaparkin36, on Flickr

Squash64

• Hectare
    • Walsall Road Allotments
« Reply #102 on: August 03, 2011, 15:27:54 »
Just 8 days difference between the two photos

[attachment=1]

[attachment=2]
Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham

allotment website:-
www.growit.btck.co.uk

pete JB

• Half Acre
« Reply #103 on: August 03, 2011, 17:20:00 »
Looks good Betty :-)

slyfox-mal

• Acre
    • my diary
« Reply #104 on: August 04, 2011, 13:22:47 »
well its been a strange year so far so mild in the spring and then june july so dull and cold  and at last we seem to be getting some half decent weather  i only have one pkn growing right now on the van hook 275 its putting on about 4 inches in circumfrence per day now my other plant is refuseing to set a fruit  and keeps aborting the fruits  i ve set one as last resort at about 23 ft out on the main  vine  if this does not take im thinking of pulling the plant  it has plenty of male flowers  on it  but its been a hard plant to set fruit on

i dont think i shall get a big fruit this season so  no prizes for me lol
 here is my other plants fruit nothing special by a long way but hoping to get a decent fruit for the gran kids to share

The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are,
the olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be in the rghit pclae.

Dandytown

• Hectare
    • Pumpkins Growing Diary
« Reply #105 on: August 05, 2011, 11:03:16 »
Looking good Mal.  Mine looks about the same as yours in growth and size so I was sorry to read that you don't think it will be a big one for you this year.  For me its a PB so far and I would really love to reach 500 lb's although I have a hunch that if it grows for the season with no problems then it may be about 300 lb which would still be great.

Most others at my allotment can't see the point in growing something that you don't intend to eat and are always offering advice on how to grow but their advice doesn't realy fit with growing a giant.  I really hope I grow a big one to save some face and not just be known as the nut that try's to grow one.

Mine measured 45" in cc on day 27 and had moved up to 4" growth in 24 hours.  Just hope it holds out and picks up another gear.  I made a little cut to the stem to prevent a split carrying on to the pumpkin.  Will check today and hope its healing and has not affected growth too much. 

slyfox-mal

• Acre
    • my diary
« Reply #106 on: August 09, 2011, 19:20:50 »
thing have slowed down a little this week  been really poor weather 
todays ott measurment was 134 inches and that is an estimated 60.7 lb nothing  fantastic by a long way
The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are,
the olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be in the rghit pclae.

Dandytown

• Hectare
    • Pumpkins Growing Diary
« Reply #107 on: August 10, 2011, 10:51:38 »
Mine was 136 OTT yesterday so I share your frustration.  Although I did not do any soil tests/add ammendments to the soil, I am sure my soil is good enough for a 500lb fruit.  I think it must be the weather as our plants are mirroring one another, although mine is becoming the ugly sister.

In the early days I made a rookie error and was measuring the circumference up and over and kept lifting and scratching it which combined with my nails catching the soft skin has left a few scratches and scuffs on it.  Next year I will be very carefull and handle with cotton gloves  ;).

Mine shifted from a 8"OTT increase for two days when it was hot down to 5" as it got cooler and then 3.5" yesterday.  

Mal/Pete, what is the chance of it growing say 2"OTT a day for the next 55 days as that would give me an okay pumpkin in the end.  Does OTT growth slow down significantly after a certain size or date?  

Here's the link to a pic of my pumpkin

http://www.bigpumpkins.com/Diary/DiaryViewOne.asp?eid=166618
« Last Edit: August 10, 2011, 10:53:31 by Dandytown »

slyfox-mal

• Acre
    • my diary
« Reply #108 on: August 10, 2011, 12:10:24 »
dandytown  dont get fixated by wieght this year just enjoy the ride if we get some good weather soon  you will almost be able to see these things grow before youre eyes  just  make notes of any mistakes you have made this year and try not to make the same ones next year  all the best mal

slyfox-mal

• Acre
    • my diary
« Reply #109 on: August 15, 2011, 14:22:28 »
quick update here is my pkn at just under 100 lbs  been a hard year to grow giants so far

brownowl23

• Acre
« Reply #110 on: August 15, 2011, 15:21:52 »
Stop boasting ;) Mines lagging behind squash's right now. im setttling for a PB not a giant this year. ive learnt alot so im aiming for a giant next year.

Dandytown

• Hectare
    • Pumpkins Growing Diary
« Reply #111 on: August 15, 2011, 17:01:54 »
Same here brownowl with regards to learning lots for next year.

Thats a good looking pumpkin Mal.  How does it compare to your pumpkin from last year?  Could you beat last years weight?

I have long surpassed my p.b and everyday is a bonus.  I have a chance of reaching 300lbs if things go well as mine stands at an estimated 115 lbs today (170"OTT).  With the recent boost in temperature I can see the growth from one mornign to another as it is almost touching the sides of its tent.

I have promised the kids that if it is big enough that I'll hollow it out and row it across the river in Nottingham

Grandma

• Hectare
  • Worthing, West Sussex.
« Reply #112 on: August 16, 2011, 14:30:41 »
Sorry - very basic questions from a complete novice!

What is this 'OTT' measurement, please? And I'm assuming that, once you have that measurement, it can be used in a calculation for guesstimating the weight?

Thank you.

(That's a seriously handsome pumpkin you have there, Mal!)

slyfox-mal

• Acre
    • my diary
« Reply #113 on: August 16, 2011, 15:35:50 »
dandy town i dont think i shall beat last years efforts with this pkn  the summer has just been to cold and dull  but  this pkn is a real nice shape  and i have not made any major mistakes with the plant so been a good practice my efforts where towards marrows more this season  and cucumbers for length and weighti must admit i have struggled on all counts this season  due mainly to the weather  my biggest marrow  still growing is at approx 70 lb and my cucumbers are ranging from 7 to maybe 9 lbs also still growing

grandma ott  measurment is a formulation  to estimate weight of  the fruit its  three measurments  first it circumfrence from stem around blossom end back to stem at the widest point 
second is end to end from stem to blossom end to the ground at both points
third is side to side  from ground at widest point  also back to ground  then you add all measurments up to get a ott total  this is then compared to a chart
hope this helps

pete JB

• Half Acre
« Reply #114 on: August 16, 2011, 16:14:58 »
Same here Mal. This year has been hard work. Late pollination plus poor weather  =  small pumpkin. I`ll keep going though and get as big as I can. I`m currently around 300 Lbs and growing at about 15 per day.
On Saturday I enter the world of growing for show. I`m entering some stump rooted carrots in a local show, so fingers crossed. I`ll lift them on Saturday morning and see if I can get a good set. I`ll probably post a pic if I`m not too embarrased.

Wish me luck !

Pete.

Pic of this years pumpkin below taken yesterday.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/65218770@N06/6049280691/

slyfox-mal

• Acre
    • my diary
« Reply #115 on: August 16, 2011, 16:25:42 »
let me guess  type of carrot  either newark or sweet candle  always seem to win in the shows but  either way good luck mate its a buzz just taking part

pete JB

• Half Acre
« Reply #116 on: August 16, 2011, 16:27:12 »
Granma.

There is an article on how to measure the OTT of a pumpkin. Take a look at the link below.

http://www.bigpumpkins.com/ViewArticle.asp?id=37&gid=4

When you have the total measurement, you can go to the chart below. Your total measurement will correspond to a weight on the chart.

http://www.gvgo.ca/downloads/2008_ott_chart.pdf

Hope this helps

Pete

pete JB

• Half Acre
« Reply #117 on: August 16, 2011, 16:28:55 »
Yeah you guessed it Mal. Sweet Candle (bought from Medwyns)

They look ok but I cant be sure until they come out of the soil.

Good luck mate.

Pete

slyfox-mal

• Acre
    • my diary
« Reply #118 on: August 16, 2011, 16:35:29 »
i got a roll of 300 mu  tunnel cover waiting here pete  so im going to try making a greenhouse this winter to grow a pkn in  might give me a chance at growing a bigger one how is youre tunnel made up is it loose fit  or trenched in cover and what are diamentions

Grandma

• Hectare
  • Worthing, West Sussex.
« Reply #119 on: August 16, 2011, 17:22:32 »
Thank you very much Mal and Pete.  :-*

I'm pleased with my pumpkin's progress so far - (although it's a baby compared to your specimens!) - I will have a proper measure now I know how to do it.

Family and friends have put bets (50p!) on its final weight - guesses range from 68lb to 130 lb. I would just love to crack the magic 100lb barrier!

I expect a lot depends on weather conditions but how long should it continue to grow for?

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal