Author Topic: giant pkn time again  (Read 34377 times)

slyfox-mal

• Acre
    • my diary
giant pkn time again
« on: April 24, 2011, 18:48:10 »
well its that time of year again i shall be plant two pkns out this year a 275 van hook and a 1145.5 van hook i will do a couple off 633 langley as backups

i have arranged the friendly competition on our site again this year and it looks like we will have alot of new growers coming into the comp this year i have given up my seed collection for them to grow i dont see the point of saving world class seed just to say i have one id rather they get planted and given a chance.

so good luck everyone at beechwood allotments middlesbrough who are taking part.

good luck to everyone whoever you are and whatever you grow  all the best mal
The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are,
the olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be in the rghit pclae.

pete JB

• Half Acre
Re: giant pkn time again
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2011, 19:08:37 »
Good luck with that Mal. The 275 Van Hook has thrown some big ones in the last few years. It will be interesting to see what it does for you. My big hopes rest with the 901 Hunt. It has also grown some big ones including the 1667.5 Hunt.
Fingers crossed for a good summer

Pete

slyfox-mal

• Acre
    • my diary
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2011, 19:23:53 »
Hi pete mate hope the 901 does the works for you its a cracking seed as you well know bryans 633 seed has me intregued as it was grew of a 1385 clone last year and crossed with a 1556.5 werner i dont think this cross has ever been done before the clone had major issues with root system  but still produced a 633 so im concidering useing it as backups

hope you got my marrow seeds ok  i cant remember if you said you did or not if you had a problem let me know i can soon get you some more sent
im concentrating more on marrows and maters this year  6 marrow and 11 giant mater plants hope to beat my personal bests this season  good luck mate and heres hoping you only a lb behind me come weighoff time lol  all the best mal
The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are,
the olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be in the rghit pclae.

pete JB

• Half Acre
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2011, 19:28:05 »
Yeah I got the marrow seeds mate. Looking forward to growing them. Any tips. I`m a total novice at it !

slyfox-mal

• Acre
    • my diary
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2011, 19:35:45 »
treat them like pkn mate but keep fruit well shaded from the sun if possible stops the skin hardening off to soon and splitting marrow can handle three fruits per plant at a time without adverse effects fruits mature in about 45 days from setting but dont be to quick opening it for seeds let it sit as long as possible or you get lots of immature seed as i found out last year
when mature you will need a saw to get into the fruit as they are as hard as nails  lol i found out this also  snapping a 8 inch kitchen knife trying to open the 74 lber
regards mal

pete JB

• Half Acre
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2011, 12:41:07 »
Hey Mal. I`m also doing giant maters. Just the one though. I have a 7.33 Hunt which is doing well in the greenhouse. I`ll let you know how it gets on.

Cheers

Pete

Dandytown

• Hectare
    • Pumpkins Growing Diary
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2011, 17:04:17 »
Hi Pete and Mal and good luck this year.

Need some advice, I usually sow in the airing cupboard but the Mrs threw a fit so now I have to think again.  Whats the best way to germinate, chit, straight in the ground or pots etc.

I filed a seed but on the sprout end and then read that I shouldnt so lets see what happens.

I have given lots of the seed that I acquired away but have a few left if anyone is interested.  700lb ers and up.  Pm me and I'll get back as soon as I can.

slyfox-mal

• Acre
    • my diary
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2011, 18:58:34 »
hi dandytown and good luck to you also
i usually chit my seeds in moist kitchen towel inside a ziplock bag and as soon as i see  first signs of the sprout end i pot it up and place it back into electric propergator when the cot leaves are up i then place the pots  under lights for a few days and as soon as first true leaf is up i then plant it out into its final planting place with the first true leave oppersite the direction you awant the pkn got grow as 99 times out 100 the vine will be oppersite the first true leaf hope this helps regards mal

Dandytown

• Hectare
    • Pumpkins Growing Diary
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2011, 10:12:46 »
Thanks Mal,

I should have waited a day before asking as mine have sprouted.  I soaked them for 24-48 hours in water and then placed between two sheets of cotton wool which was carefully placed in a large sheet of foil and placed in the airing cupboard.
Check this morning and the AG's have sprouted ahead of the eating varieties which are also showing signs of sprouting.  

Seems that I was carefull enough with my filing of the edges.

Thanks for the advice about pointing the likely side of the stem in the correct direction.  I did print some info of off merebrow website and will have to familiarise myself with it again.

Must get off to the stables and pick up as much manure as I can.  I am going to try peat this year on one of the pumpkins

Have sown 1366 Paton 10 and a 798 Thomas 10

pete JB

• Half Acre
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2011, 20:11:43 »
Good luck DT. Those seeds should do well for you. The Patons are the top growers in the country and David Thomas is also a top grower. He beat me into 4th place at this years comp in Southampton. Grrrr.
LOL

Pete

Dandytown

• Hectare
    • Pumpkins Growing Diary
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2011, 11:25:53 »
Thanks Pete.  The seed recieved from David were humongous!

Following a day digging tomorrow I am all set to grow.  A kind neighbour at my allotment dropped off a trailor load of manure and straw outside my gate yesterday so I was al the plot Shovelling **** :) from 8-9pm last night.  Nearly didnt find my way off the plot it was so dark when I finnished up.

slyfox-mal

• Acre
    • my diary
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2011, 20:04:58 »
well the 275 and 1145.5 are both in the patch now and growing nicely just getting 3rd true leaf

all my giant tomatoes are in now  11 plants

my heavy and show cucumbers will get planted in position in cucumber house next monday again 11 plants

my giant marrows will go in final planting place  maybe monday if i have time 6 plants this year

my giant cabbage are in  finally only doing four plants my last years giants are flowering now so might get some seed from them

onions are starting to grow better now i dont expect much i didnt start them untill jan 22nd

and thats about it for now my allotment is just about full

have fun and grow em big people regards mal

staris

• Acre
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2011, 20:53:56 »
i fancy giving this a go, i know i'm to late now for this year can anyone recommend where i can buy some decent seed from and would i be better waiting and buy some seeds later in the year  :)

pete JB

• Half Acre
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2011, 15:15:43 »
Hi Staris.

I can let you have some seed, you dont need to buy them. In fact, I would run a mile from anyone who offers to sell you some. Generally, giant pumpkin growers are happy to give people their seed. Firstly, they usually have loads of them plus they want to promote their seed and see what it can do in the hands of as many growers as possible.

See the post below titled "seeds from my 749" it has my contact details on it.

Cheers

Pete

Andy H

• Hectare
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2011, 21:11:04 »
Frost got it!

Plant back up at weekend!

Where can we get some better seeds than Atlantic giant for next year?

pete JB

• Half Acre
« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2011, 17:46:02 »
I can let you have some seeds. See my message above

Andy H

• Hectare
« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2011, 19:23:37 »
excellent, thank you. Do you reckon to try one this year or next year?

staris

• Acre
« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2011, 23:18:50 »
hi pete
thanks for the offer of seeds, i'll send you a mail  ;D

pete JB

• Half Acre
« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2011, 14:05:22 »
Andy. You should get something decent this year if you start the seeds off ASAP. I wont have time to post them today so it will be tomorrow. That goes for yours too Heidi

Have fun with them

Pete

Andy H

• Hectare
« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2011, 18:15:04 »
OK Thanks Pete, I will put them straight in the propagator!

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal