Author Topic: giant pkn time again  (Read 34374 times)

Sinbad7

• Hectare
Re: giant pkn time again
« Reply #40 on: June 21, 2011, 14:28:10 »
I think you two are pretty safe from me winning the comp ;D ;D

I forgot the camera yesterday but have taken it's photo today and it measures in at 4' so a real baby.

Yes it spilt up the vine and like you say it has repaired itself nicely.

Will upload the photo when I get a minute, sun out here so want to get the washing going.

Sinbad7

• Hectare
« Reply #41 on: June 21, 2011, 16:50:04 »

slyfox-mal

• Acre
    • my diary
« Reply #42 on: June 21, 2011, 18:27:55 »
the pkn looks in good shape so far sinbad  if you copy the direct link in photobucket  and paste it in youre text here it will show photo in the post
The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are,
the olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be in the rghit pclae.

Dandytown

• Hectare
    • Pumpkins Growing Diary
« Reply #43 on: June 22, 2011, 09:47:33 »
Sinbad, you could also go to bigpumpkins.com and start a diary.  Real easy to do. 

http://www.bigpumpkins.com/Diary/DiaryView.asp?season=2011&grower=55348&action=L

Your plant maybe half the size of ours but whos to say you won't overtake at some point or do things better or just get lucky.  I am sure luck and knowledge are required in equal amounts.  :)

Nigel B

• Hectare
« Reply #44 on: June 22, 2011, 16:36:53 »
Just a quicky folks....
Mine is shooting off in three directions, but the better (bigger) offshoot is growing the way I'd hoped. Do I remove the other offshoots now?
"Carry on therefore with your good work.  Do not rest on your spades, except for those brief periods which are every gardeners privilege."

pete JB

• Half Acre
« Reply #45 on: June 23, 2011, 17:03:57 »
Count me in for the comp. Like Mal, I will also donate a prize to the winner. I will give some TOP quality seeds to whoever wins.

Nigel. Not sure what you mean in your post. The plant will put out a primary vine (the thickest one) and secondary vines will grow at right angles (ish) to this. You need to leave the secondary vines on because they will support the plant when the fruit starts growing. Coming off the secondary vines, you will have whats called 3rd stage growth. You need to remove this because if you dont, the plant will just tie itself in knots and all this growth will eventually hamper your fruits ability to put on weight.
Could you post a picture ?

Pete.

slyfox-mal

• Acre
    • my diary
« Reply #46 on: June 23, 2011, 19:13:07 »
hi pete mate hows it going over in cumbria i bet its you who has nicked our sun  and given us all this rain  forcast 5c tonight so  its going to be chilly

plant is going ok its 9.5 ft now and has 12 secondaries i nipped out first female on main  now waiting to see the next one hoping to pollenate it  soon  other plant is stalled a little in the cool weather  so the 275 jvh is stuck at about 6 ft but forcast is real good over weekend so i hope they kick in and get moving again
 good luck pete and everyone else trying to grow these freaks  regards mal
The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are,
the olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be in the rghit pclae.

Andy H

• Hectare
« Reply #47 on: June 23, 2011, 19:18:12 »
Not doing very good!!!!!!! >:( :(

slyfox-mal

• Acre
    • my diary
« Reply #48 on: June 23, 2011, 20:03:42 »
why whats up andy h ?

Andy H

• Hectare
« Reply #49 on: June 23, 2011, 20:26:26 »
Not sure if we were too late and of course the weather cooler and got wet compared to the hot dry April.

It may catch up, will have to see!

If it grows at the rate of the bamboo I just potted at work then it will be a monster ;D

pete JB

• Half Acre
« Reply #50 on: June 27, 2011, 21:23:23 »
Hey Mal. Nice to hear from you mate. I dunno where the good weather has been. We certainly aint had it. My 901 Hunt has a female pollinated at about 12 feet. The plant is looking good. The cooler temps have actually helped it because it gets hot in the tunnel.
Next female is about 15 feet but I will be 1st week in July before I get a set on it. I might have to go with the 1st one but we will see.
Good luck with yours. Let us know how you are getting on.

Best regards

Pete

Dandytown

• Hectare
    • Pumpkins Growing Diary
« Reply #51 on: June 28, 2011, 09:58:47 »
Hi All,

My lone plant measured 11' yesterday with about 10 good secondaries and a few excuses for vines.  I have a female at the tip so I am hoping for pollination by the 10th July either at 11' ot 12'.  When I removed the tunnel as it got too small the weather turned copld as well so growth appeared to really slow down.  Could be that it was putting growth into the secondarys so it appeared not to be doinf much.

Have stopped fertilising for now.

slyfox-mal

• Acre
    • my diary
« Reply #52 on: June 28, 2011, 15:56:02 »
it seems like everyone is enjoying the good weather  my plants are starting to take off  real nice now  the 1145.5 is doing pretty good

its about 12 feet long right now and plenty of side vines on it  here is a side  shot of it

can just see a female flower developing in the growing tip so should if all goes well pollenate it in the next two weeks

pete JB

• Half Acre
« Reply #53 on: June 28, 2011, 17:44:49 »
Looks good Mal. I will post a pic of mine (if I ever remember to take my camera to the lotty)

Pete

pete JB

• Half Acre
« Reply #54 on: June 28, 2011, 21:22:23 »
My 901 Hunt is doing ok. The plant needs to fill out a little more but I`m basically happy with it. Image on photobucket

Pete

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r102/pjgolf/001-1.jpg

Andy H

• Hectare
« Reply #55 on: June 28, 2011, 22:05:58 »
I quit! ??? will leave it to the wife and blame her!

heading for a 1700 I think......

ounces.............. :o

slyfox-mal

• Acre
    • my diary
« Reply #56 on: June 29, 2011, 08:59:41 »
andy dont gtive up on it  growing pumpkins is fun and remember its a marathon not a sprint

Dandytown

• Hectare
    • Pumpkins Growing Diary
« Reply #57 on: June 29, 2011, 11:10:09 »
I quit! ??? will leave it to the wife and blame her!

heading for a 1700 I think......

ounces.............. :o

I second what Mal says.  Just set yourself a modest target of say 250 lbs which is more than I have ever grown.  You might do better you might do worse but most of all you should learn for next year.  Don't worry what others are growing they have probably been doing it for years.

See the following link: http://www.bigpumpkins.com/Diary/DiaryView.asp?season=2008&grower=55348&action=L
2008 was my first year.  Laughable eh, growing from a pot!  2009 was my second year and I grew for the table.  This is my third year, probably the first for doing it properly and things will be different.  A lot different!  ;)

Keep going.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2011, 11:19:35 by Dandytown »

Dandytown

• Hectare
    • Pumpkins Growing Diary
« Reply #58 on: June 29, 2011, 11:12:41 »
My 901 Hunt is doing ok. The plant needs to fill out a little more but I`m basically happy with it. Image on photobucket

Pete

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r102/pjgolf/001-1.jpg

looked at your picture and thought 'ah, he likes to sit amongst his plant' then a milli second later realised what an idiot I am!  ;D ;D.  Looking good Pete

Here's my photo:   http://www.bigpumpkins.com/Diary/DiaryViewOne.asp?eid=161044
« Last Edit: June 29, 2011, 11:21:27 by Dandytown »

Andy H

• Hectare
« Reply #59 on: June 29, 2011, 12:45:21 »
I will keep going with it,

I may even put a picture on here,

it will be in the humour section ;D

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal