Author Topic: flee beetle  (Read 2377 times)

woodybrown

• Quarter Acre
  • The brat pack
flee beetle
« on: April 23, 2011, 16:48:44 »
HI THERE ANYONE KNOW WHAT IS BEST FOR FLEE BEETLE, WE HAVE IT ON OUR PAK CHOI
MANY THANKS
SHIRLEY

Bugloss2009

• Hectare
Re: flee beetle
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2011, 16:58:01 »
flea beetle isn't normally a problem - except where you eat the leaves - like  with Pak Choi......... :(

keep hoeing round the plants - that may get rid of some. Also, if you try cards smeared with grease on the ground by the plants -tap the plants and the beetles jump off and stick to the cards...never tried it

you may find as the season goes on, the plants grow more quickly than the beetles can eat holes in them

woodybrown

• Quarter Acre
  • The brat pack
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2011, 17:06:21 »
so im taking it that is isn't safe to eat anymore then x

Bugloss2009

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2011, 17:21:43 »
no it's perfectly fine to eat - it just looks odd with all the holes in.  And flea beetles are only a pain at the start of the season.
we grow pak choi at the allotment and at home - zero flea beetle at home, thus far.......

kymrob

• Half Acre
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2011, 17:38:31 »
i notice today  flea beetle have eaten our cabbage seedlings and guessing that the reason we cant see any of our brussels or swede seedlings anymore! my goodness the eat the leaves quickly to within half hour they had striped my cabbage seedling ! our seeds this year dont seem to be doing very well at the moment suppose this lack of rain dont help! :-\

Bugloss2009

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2011, 17:42:06 »
i notice today  flea beetle have eaten our cabbage seedlings and guessing that the reason we cant see any of our brussels or swede seedlings anymore! my goodness the eat the leaves quickly to within half hour they had striped my cabbage seedling ! our seeds this year dont seem to be doing very well at the moment suppose this lack of rain dont help! :-\

probably something else

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2011, 19:24:58 »
Flea beetles tend to take bites round the edges of leaves and leave the rest.

kymrob

• Half Acre
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2011, 19:52:05 »
there are loads tiny black shiney beetles which jump just like a flea and as soon as u brush the leaf the jump there are loads mainly around my radish now  :-\ they are the same things which ate my cabbage leaves  ???

Alex133

• Acre
  • Salisbury, Wiltshire
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2011, 06:58:24 »
I think this is a Bob Flowerdew thing for organic removal of flea beetles -

Spread syrup or treacle on a piece of card and wave just over the affected plants. The flea beetles will stick to it and you can put on your compost heap.

I'm going to try as my pak choi being attacked even though under environmesh.

woodybrown

• Quarter Acre
  • The brat pack
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2011, 08:54:15 »
THANK YOU  :)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal