Author Topic: Do Broadbeans need staking?  (Read 7188 times)

Strawberrygirl

• Quarter Acre
  • Waiting for the sun....
Do Broadbeans need staking?
« on: April 22, 2011, 19:47:27 »
I  have two lovely rows of broadbeans.  About 3 inches high, but not flowering yet. I have staked them but notice a couple of fellow plotholders haven't staked theirs - do i not need to?   

Bugloss2009

• Hectare
Re: Do Broadbeans need staking?
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2011, 20:01:01 »
we have 2 canes at either end of the rows (actually they are double rows), and keep the beans in place with twine stretched between the canes along the rows. We don't do it until the beans are quite high. Just stops them flopping about

Fork

• Hectare
  • Amber valley,Derbyshire
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2011, 20:54:29 »
I always stake the rows but not each plant and then tie string around the stakes so that the beans are surrounded...the if we do get any strong winds they dont have far to go for support.
You can pick your friends, and you can pick your nose, but you can't pick your friends nose

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2011, 06:56:28 »
We always put a wire mesh surround around them to stop the foxes and dogs trampling them so all we do is push short canes across through the wire where needed.
When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

powerspade

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2011, 07:34:29 »
I have 4 double rows of broad beans and although they are small at the moment I shall be staking they this afternoon. Because of the length of each row I need to place 8 pairs of stakes along each row. Its important to stake them were I live as we are prone to Strong winds living on top of a mountain

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2011, 08:27:41 »
 I reckon I may of done mine wrong.  I am trying broad beans as a first this year.  I planted them around a wigwam of canes as per french beans.  Do I need to plant them in rows so they can be tied in better?  From reading replies I gather they grow straight and do not climb in the same way... ???
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

Strawberrygirl

• Quarter Acre
  • Waiting for the sun....
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2011, 10:29:58 »
Thanks for advice all. I have staked 5 in a wigwam and the others are in two rows so have staked either end with plastic mesh running from end to end, so at least will keep the foxes away.  Dont really know why i am growing them, i hate broadbeans!  OH say he likes them though, so with his 600 spuds and 5 kgs of b/beans he should be happy at harvest time!

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2011, 10:54:04 »
I do not stake broadbeans.  Perhaps some varieties are more floppy than others.  Never stakes masterpiece.  Its a good strong grower.  And I am on a very windy site.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal